C-section question

Old January 13th 05, 06:43 AM
New Mommy

Default C-section question

Hi -
I delivered my baby via c-section almost 6 weeks back. I dinot really
feel any pain even for the first walk on next day but then I was taking
pain medications. I stopped taking pain medications almost 12 days
later and the pain improved a lot but I am still feeling much pain if I
try to walk. very very slow walk inside home is fine but whenever i go
outside, it hurts in the incision as well as somewhere deep inside(not
sure where). this pain is not unbearable but uncomfortable. i am not
taking any more pain medication . I am surprised I am close to 6 weeks
but still not normal.
I am not liftin heavy weight. I stay in a two-story house so avoiding
stairs is not possible nowadays though the first two weeks I did avoid
the stairs totally.
The pain is sharp pain in both incision and deep inside.
I am following all recommendations for recovery as suggested for
c-section (of course getting much sleep with a baby is
difficult)..other than sleep I have been taking good care to
myself..thanks to DH for all the help.
Anybody who has gone through c-section can let me know please their
recovery experience. when have you been totally pain free?
I am a runner and though I can make time for running, its totally out
of question since even walking is uncomfortable.
I am really looking for speedy recovery and any suggestion/tips or if
you can share your experience will really help me a lot.
Thanks so much in advance.

Old January 13th 05, 07:42 AM
Irrational Number

New Mommy wrote:
I delivered my baby via c-section almost 6 weeks back. I dinot really
feel any pain even for the first walk on next day but then I was taking
pain medications. I stopped taking pain medications almost 12 days
later and the pain improved a lot but I am still feeling much pain if I
try to walk.

I think you should talk to your doctor. Have
you had your 6-week checkup yet? Has your
doctor been monitoring your pain when taking
out your staples at week 1 and 2 and whatnot?

I went home after 5 days in the hospital and
the next day stopped all pain medication. I
was able to walk around without pain within
a week and was driving at 2 weeks.

I don't know what the normal time is; the
above is only one person's experience. Still,
I think you should let your doctor know exactly
how and where the pain is.

-- Anita --

Old January 13th 05, 09:25 AM
Donna Metler

"New Mommy" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Totally pain free? Try about a year. This was for a classical C-section. I'm
7 weeks post-partum, after a repeat classical, and I'm still occasionally
taking pain meds if I overdo it.

This is why I have a hard time believing anyone willingly chooses a repeat
C-section over a VBAC if they have a choice in the matter!

Old January 13th 05, 12:41 PM
Mamma Mia

"New Mommy" wrote in message
[...]

sounds like you are in more pain than i experienced, i agree with other
posters to talk to your doc about it

Old January 13th 05, 12:43 PM
Mamma Mia

"Donna Metler" wrote in message
. ..

"New Mommy" wrote in message
[...]

you are also in way more pain than i experienced donna. In fact, by about a
year down the track, the only time i ever felt anything was when i went
swimming in really cold water! well, ok i got an incisional hernia but even
that wasnt painful. I have sort of willingingly chosen repeat C-sections
b/c the pain does go away. maybe you should talk to your doc too?

chris

Old January 13th 05, 01:24 PM
Anne Rogers

Totally pain free? Try about a year. This was for a classical C-section.
I'm
7 weeks post-partum, after a repeat classical, and I'm still occasionally
taking pain meds if I overdo it.

This is why I have a hard time believing anyone willingly chooses a repeat
C-section over a VBAC if they have a choice in the matter!

Donna, it might be the classical incision that made the difference and it is
definitely more difficult to get into a 22 week uterus than a full term one.
Did you ask about them doing a different incision, I've definitely heard of
people having repeat c-sections due to a classical incision but having a low
transverse incision 2nd time round.

Donna, I think a reasonable proportion of ERCS are probably fear of the
unknown, or fear of a repeat of the known, a bad labour experience followed
by a c-section isn't going to make you want to go into labour again and if
you had a scheduled section, but the same reason doesn't apply next time
around, it's like being a first timer, but with a get out clause, many first
timers would jump at a c-section if it was offered to them on a plate.

For the OP, not from personal experience, my friend who had one a couple of
months before I had DS was cycling by the time I delivered, she said she was
pain free at 6 weeks. From the cycling point of view I wasn't comfortable
after 5 months for a vaginal delivery.

Old January 13th 05, 03:39 PM
Mary W.

New Mommy wrote:
Hi -
I delivered my baby via c-section almost 6 weeks back. I dinot really
feel any pain even for the first walk on next day but then I was taking
pain medications. I stopped taking pain medications almost 12 days
later and the pain improved a lot but I am still feeling much pain if I
try to walk. very very slow walk inside home is fine but whenever i go
outside, it hurts in the incision as well as somewhere deep inside(not
sure where). this pain is not unbearable but uncomfortable. i am not
taking any more pain medication . I am surprised I am close to 6 weeks
but still not normal.

Its hard to remember, but I think by 6 weeks I was walking pretty
well and driving. I was certainly carrying baby. By 10 weeks I was
pretty good (we went on vacation and I remember being fine). I did
find that my incision site was sore when I leaned on it (like at
a counter) for probably a year. I definately took my pain meds
for nearly 2 weeks (I remember thinking it contributed to my
daughters lazy nursing), and then took pretty high doses of
ibuprofen for a while after that. You sound like your recovery
has been a bit harder than mine was, and its probably worth talking
to your doctor about.

Mary W.
Old January 13th 05, 06:04 PM
Renee

New Mommy wrote:
[...]

I was taking pain pills for about a week after I got home. These were
basically ibprofin in a stronger dose. When I finished those, I took
regular ibprofin for a while. I wasn't in pain after 6 weeks.

Renee

Old January 13th 05, 06:49 PM
Irrational Number

Donna Metler wrote:

"New Mommy" wrote in message
oups.com...

I delivered my baby via c-section almost 6 weeks back. I dinot really
feel any pain even for the first walk on next day but then I was taking
pain medications. I stopped taking pain medications almost 12 days
later and the pain improved a lot but I am still feeling much pain if I
try to walk.

Totally pain free? Try about a year. This was for a classical C-section. I'm
7 weeks post-partum, after a repeat classical, and I'm still occasionally
taking pain meds if I overdo it.

This is why I have a hard time believing anyone willingly chooses a repeat
C-section over a VBAC if they have a choice in the matter!

I had a classical incision, too, both inside
and out. But, still, I was off pain meds by
the time I got home on day 5. I do occasionally
have itching on the scar, but that's not pain.

-- Anita --

Old January 13th 05, 07:20 PM
Donna Metler

u...

"New Mommy" wrote in message
[...]

Supposedly, it's normal-I have a vertical incision, and had a lot of
adhesions from the prior, so it was a pretty complicated surgery. In the
first one, I had a lot of swelling and bruising because my platelet count
was extremely low due to HELLP. Supposedly, everything has healed well, so
I'm not at risk for ripping anything, simply that it will take some time for
the nerves to heal and to stop sending pain signals.

misc.kids FAQ on Childhood Vaccinations, Part 1/4 [email protected] Info and FAQ's 3 April 17th 04 12:24 PM
Kids should work... bobb General 108 December 15th 03 04:23 PM
| | Kids should work... Kane General 13 December 10th 03 03:30 AM
Kids should work. ChrisScaife Spanking 16 December 7th 03 05:27 AM
And again he strikes........ Doan strikes ...... again! was Kids should work... Kane General 2 December 6th 03 04:28 AM