help -- just used a pacifier (dummy)

Old November 24th 03, 02:31 AM
Dagny

Default help -- just used a pacifier (dummy)

5 week old Meg has been having green poop, gas, irritability and a little
bit of nasal congestion off and on for a week (and today).

Today she worked herself up into the first real crying fit of her life.
Prior to that, she had been huffing for the breast constantly during the
afternoon, and I obliged, but it didn't seem to be getting her anywhere
because she would pull off frequently as if uncomfortable, and was burping
more than usual. She was fussing much of the time she wasn't actively
nursing.

So during this crying fit, I decided to open the pacifier from the baby
shower --

Sigh. Don't want to use it much, but it sure calmed her down. After a
while with the pacifier on my chest, I nursed her peacefully and she is now
sleeping on my husband's chest.

I did cut out dairy for the last 2 days but it hasn't helped the green poop
situation.

Any suggestions on the pacifier situation?

Any suggestions of what foods in my diet might be causing the digestive
upset and/or other causes?

Thanks,
Dagny

Old November 24th 03, 03:01 AM
NBennett

Dagny
I was against pacifiers before my daughter was born. As it turns out, she
was born with serious heart problems. Between diagnostics and surgery and
recovery, one of the few comforts she was allowed was a pacifier. Seeing
the relief and comfort on her face while she sucked on that thing completely
changed my opinion of them. I decided right then and there that if she
wanted to suck on a pacifier till she was in university, that was fine with
me. She deserved whatever comfort it gave her.
I breastfed exclusively for 6 months and part time till she was 19 months
old. She gave up the "dummy" without compliant when she was 3 yrs old.
I say let her have the pacifier.

Nancy
mom to grace, now 12 yrs old
hlink.net...

Old November 24th 03, 03:15 AM
Cheryl S.

"Dagny" wrote in message
hlink.net...
Any suggestions on the pacifier situation?

I don't see a problem with anything you said about pacifier use. You
can limit it as much as you want, and just use it as a last resort like
you did, if you're not comfortable letting her have it routinely. I
would try to avoid routine use of it as I can tell from friends and
posts at misc.kids it's a hard habit to break if it becomes a habit
rather than an occasional help in comforting. Both my kids spit them
out and prefer/red their hands so I don't have personal experience.

Any suggestions of what foods in my diet might be
causing the digestive upset and/or other causes?

My guess is it's her congestion causing it (mucus draining into her
stomach), not something you're eating. Hopefully her cold clears up
soon and then you'll know, if the green poop goes away then too.
--
Cheryl S.
Mom to Julie, 2 yr., 7 mo.

Cleaning the house while your children are small is like
shoveling the sidewalk while it's still snowing.

Old November 24th 03, 04:03 AM
New York Jen

At 5 weeks old, her nursing should be pretty well established. I don't
believe a pacifier will harm her in any way. If you start to notice nipple
confusion, stop using it.

hlink.net...

Old November 24th 03, 05:30 AM
Tracey

Dagny wrote:

Any suggestions on the pacifier situation?

Personally, I wouldn't stress out about it.

My DD #1 used the pacifier almost constantly when she wasn't nursing for the
first 6 months of her life. BTW, she nursed every 2 hours for 18 months.
She took a bottle of EBM a few times per week until she was bout 6 months
old and then refused to take a bottle, EVER after that. Around that same
time she decided to stop using the pacifier.
She went on to self-wean at age 4 years 9 months. Obviously no nipple
confusion there.

DS is now almost 9 months old. He too uses the pacifier almost obsessively
and has always refused to take a bottle (well okay, he took one maybe 6-8
times when he was 2 or 3 months old but now refuses a bottle completely).
He nurses about every 2-3 hours all day long, but mercifully sleeps about
8 hours at night. And he shows no sign of wanting to wean or having nipple
confusion from the pacifier.

Tracey in CT

Old November 24th 03, 10:28 PM
Phoebe & Allyson

Dagny wrote:

Any suggestions on the pacifier situation?

If it's working, I wouldn't stress about it. Caterpillar
wouldn't take a pacifier, then took one, then stopped when
we introduced bottles, now is back to one as a teething toy.
If you find that she's got permanent pacifier marks on her
face in a week or two, you can always try to cut back then.

Any suggestions of what foods in my diet might be causing the digestive
upset and/or other causes?

If she's stuffy, she may be swallowing more mucus than
normal, which can cause green poop (as can a mild viral
infection). If it's off and on, you could keep a food diary
to see if it correlates to something you're eating.

Gas drops might help for the constant pulling off and burping.

Phoebe
--
yahoo address is unread - substitute mailbolt

Old November 24th 03, 10:38 PM
Dagny

"Dagny" wrote in message
hlink.net...

[...]

Thanks for your posts. I guess I'm going with the congestion suggestion as
why she is having digestive troubles. I had some sinus problems starting
three days before the first green poo, but mine didn't last nearly as long
as her green poo has been going on, so I don't know if we caught the same
thing or not (she caught from me, actually).

-- Dagny

Pacifier question Jill Pregnancy 40 April 6th 04 11:28 PM
Question for pacifier users Kathy Breastfeeding 2 November 23rd 03 09:47 PM
Question for pacifier users (for my 10 week old) Kathy Breastfeeding 0 November 22nd 03 11:19 PM
starting pacifier for one year old Marie Breastfeeding 8 November 12th 03 06:43 AM
convince baby to take pacifier? zeldabee Breastfeeding 2 October 13th 03 09:17 PM