Shaving legs

Old July 13th 04, 02:36 PM
Claire Petersky

Default Shaving legs

"Sue" wrote in message ...
Hi group,

For those of you with older girls, did you have a particular age that you
started letting your girls shave their legs? What did you factor in your
decision to start letting them shave, other than the maturity to handle it?

If my 11 year old showed an interest, I'd let her shave now. Maybe
after she starts middle school this fall she might feel like it was
something she wanted to do, but maybe not -- she's the sort who is not
very vunerable to peer pressure. She might leave them hairy just to be
contrary. That was sort of my attitude -- I didn't shave my legs as an
adult until after I had enough of a career that I had to wear
pantyhose regularly.

My 9 year old has been shaving legs for a long time now -- but not her
own. Back when she was two, she didn't want me to wash her hair. So we
started playing "Salon", where I would let her wash my hair, if she
would let me wash hers. Over the years, Salon has blossomed into all
kinds of girl time. From mutual application, she knows how to give a
facial, give a manicure, properly apply gel and style hair, etc. You
might think I'm nuts (my husband thought I was nuts to let a 2 year
old wash my hair), but as a part of Salon she has been shaving my legs
for years now. When she asks for the razor for herself -- and she has
the long and dark leg hair as a 9 year old -- I'll hand it over to her
without a qualm.

Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
Home of the meditative cyclist:

Old July 13th 04, 10:26 PM
FibbersCloset

Shaving my legs was the only thing* that my mother and I fought about, and
one of the only things in retrospect that I think she was wrong about. I
had girlfriends who had dark hair who were already shaving. I was a blond,
but with long, fine, light leg hair. My mother's contention was that a) I
didn't need to shave and b) Once I did, it would turn dark and I would have
to keep doing it.

b) is incorrect, as I proved in college, during 6 months in Europe when
shower time was way too precious to waste on shaving. Grown out, it was the
same color and consistency that it had been when I was 11. My feeling now
is that if she had let me shave, I would have grown tired of it, and just
quit. As it was, it was a constant bone of contention for about a year,
that she could have avoided.

* Makeup was something that we didn't fight about. I have very pale skin,
and I think my mother was tired of everyone telling her that they were sure
that I was anemic. As soon as I became interested in blusher, she was okay
with it.

Dena

"Claire Petersky" wrote in message
om...

Old July 15th 04, 10:15 PM
Robyn Kozierok

In article ,
FibbersCloset wrote:

* Makeup was something that we didn't fight about. I have very pale skin,
and I think my mother was tired of everyone telling her that they were sure
that I was anemic. As soon as I became interested in blusher, she was okay
with it.

Me too In fact, my mom started putting blush on my cheeks to visit
my great grandfather even before I was interested.

Now I don't wear any makeup, except very very occasionally.

--Robyn

Shaving legs Sue General 68 August 7th 04 09:43 AM
kfc, drawing, tattoo's and kids. dejablues General 54 December 19th 03 04:52 PM