CHECKING CERVICAL DIALTION YOURSELF

Old December 12th 05, 01:57 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

Default CHECKING CERVICAL DIALTION YOURSELF

As A Labor and Delivery nurse of 15 years iI can tell you many variables as
to why you should NOT do personal dilation checks.
1- you could accidentally break you own membranes (waterbag) and if the head
is too high, you could have a prolapsed cord (although rare) it does happen
and this is a life threatening thing for the baby and requires special
interventions and a emergency (winthin5 min) cesarean section to save the
baby's life.
2. infection
3. torn cervix (ouch)
4. fetal heart rate distress. When we examine patients, the baby can
sometimes have what is called a Vagal respose. This is when the stimulation
of touching the top of the baby's head causes the heart rate to drop and
possibly causing it not to rise without interventions such as oxygen,
fluids, postion cahanges and other things to help baby get back up.
Those are just a few things, there are others, but i think i made my point.
I am not against staying home or having a licenced friend check you, but be
aware of the risks please. I know all of you want a happy, healthy baby!!!
From: "stasya"
Subject: checking your own cervix for dilation
Date: Sunday, December 11, 2005 12:08 PM

"That isn't as reliable as cervical dilatation though..."

Dilatation doesn't mean a whole lot sometimes either...just to toss
another experience in there. (Sorry...) I've been between 1 and 2 cms
dilated for the past two weeks, and currently am at around 38 weeks.
The last two pregnancies, I've been dilated 3 cms and more for weeks at
a time before they induced. (So anyone with tips for producing
contractions...!)

Stasya