OT -- Scary Weekend...

Old January 28th 08, 07:41 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Me Myself and I[_3_]

Default OT -- Scary Weekend...

I have no idea

--
Pip, in NZ

My girls :
DD1 Jasmine - 5 weeks early - March 02 - 4lb 12oz
Still as small as a peanut but as smart as a whip!

DD2 Abby - 8 weeks early - Feb 05 - 3lb 14oz
Two and a half and still a terror!!

"Yes you can drive me insane just by talking to me!"

"Jamie Clark" wrote in message
. ..
I assumed as much. So how did they go from being an item of clothing to
meaning something that is bad or crappy? Just curious.

--

Jamie Clark

"Me Myself and I" wrote in
message ...
lol "pants" means rubbish, crap, not very good (as well as it's
normal meaning of trousers or underwear)

Hope that clears that up.

--
Pip, in NZ

My girls :
DD1 Jasmine - 5 weeks early - March 02 - 4lb 12oz
Still as small as a peanut but as smart as a whip!

DD2 Abby - 8 weeks early - Feb 05 - 3lb 14oz
Two and a half and still a terror!!

"Yes you can drive me insane just by talking to me!"

"Jamie Clark" wrote in message
. ..
Thanks April.

What exactly is a "pants of a weekend" ? LOL. That must be a UK slang
thing! Thanks for the well wishes, he basically is fully recovered
already. It was a very quick and simple out patient procedure. He'll
have to go back in a week for a wound check and to recheck the
pacemaker, but he's basically fine. I aprpeciate the prayers.

--

Jamie Clark

"april & co" wrote in message

snipped but read....

I am so sorry about your pants of a weekend Jamie and just hope and
pray now that your hubby makes a full recovery.

april

Old January 28th 08, 08:25 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Jamie Clark

Yup. That's what they said. It was really trippy to see his EKG when he
skipped a beat or two. You know how there is the big tall spike, then the
little bumps? (I'm not using technical terms because no one else would know
what I'm talking about except those with medical background.) His little
bumps were regularly spaced, and his tall spike were regularly spaced, but
when the cardiologist applied pressure to his carotid artery, he would drop
a big spike and then normal for a few beats, and then drop two in a row. He
fainted because his heart skipped 3 or more beats in a row. Scary. So now
we have the ultimate backup system installed...he sounds like the bionic
man...LOL.
--
Jamie Clark

"Michelle J. Haines" wrote in message
Anne Rogers wrote:
Jamie, did they give you a name for the problem

Right bundle branch block.

Your heart normally starts firing at the top, the SA node. The electrical
impulses travel through the intraatrial and internodal pathways to the AV
node, which is at the bottom of the atria (top chambers of the heart).
After that it travels to the Bundle of His, then it splits into the Bundle
of His, where it splits into the right and left bundle branches...one of
each takes the impulses to the right and left ventricles. After that it
travels down to the Purkinje fibers, which transmits the impulses to the
cardiac cells.

If he had a right bundle branch block, it basically means the impulses
weren't transmitting through to the right ventricle. That's the chamber
of the heart that pushes blood to the lungs to gather oxygen.

I ask because last week I was looking through some old medical test
results and discovered a note about some arrhythmias that had been
detected when doing a sleep study and that I should get an EKG, I'm glad
I looked as this had somehow been missed by both the doctor who had
referred me for the test and my primary care doctor.

Some arrhythmias are pretty benign...I have a Sinus Arrhythmia...which
basically means my heart goes faster when I breathe in and slower when I
breathe out. I used to have Sinus Tachyarrhythmia...which means the same
thing, but that it used to beat very fast, too.

Being me I've been reading as much as I can and I was amazed how many
different subtle things there can be variations from normal when it comes
to heart rhythm. Having heard what has happened in your family, I'm
feeling lucky their has been unrelated things that led to getting further
tests, because it should avoid any emergencies!

What falls into Normal Sinus Rhythm is all over the map, really.

Michelle
Flutist

Old January 28th 08, 09:22 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Michelle J. Haines

Jamie Clark wrote:
Yup. That's what they said. It was really trippy to see his EKG when he
skipped a beat or two. You know how there is the big tall spike, then the
little bumps? (I'm not using technical terms because no one else would know
what I'm talking about except those with medical background.)

Well, what there is ...technically, is a little bump (this is the
electrical impulse transmitting through the atria, the P-wave). Then
the big spike (this is the electrical wave transmitting through the
ventricles, the QRS complex). Then another smaller wave (this is the
ventricles resetting for the next electrical impulse, the T-wave). The
atria resets at the same time the ventricles are transmitting, so you
can't see that.

(yes, I'm using some technical terms, 'cause I figured I'd explain them
a bit...and I'm simplifying it a bit anyway)

His little
bumps were regularly spaced, and his tall spike were regularly spaced, but
when the cardiologist applied pressure to his carotid artery, he would drop
a big spike and then normal for a few beats, and then drop two in a row.

Drop, as in it would skip a P-wave, and then you'd get a downward QRS
complex? That's PVCs. Premature Ventricular Contractions. (hard for
me to say without seeing the EKG, though, and I'm still new at
cardiology) If the ventricles contract before the atria do, of course
there's no blood in the ventricles to actually push anyplace. Which is
a bit of a problem.

He
fainted because his heart skipped 3 or more beats in a row. Scary. So now
we have the ultimate backup system installed...he sounds like the bionic
man...LOL.

Pacemakers are good for that.

Michelle
Flutist
Old January 28th 08, 10:27 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Jamie Clark

Jamie Clark wrote:
[...]

No, the whole QRS just wouldn't happen. If I remember correctly, he would
have a normal P-wave and a normal T-wave. He just wouldn't have the QRS
spike.

Old January 28th 08, 10:36 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Anne Rogers[_4_]

Jamie Clark wrote:
We've heard a couple things. A right branch bundle block that is associated
with syncope (fainting) is what the doctor told us.

when I read it again I spotted that! I've done the fainting thing and
the lack of memory of the event is pretty wierd, it happened 4 times in
one day when DS was about 3 months old, coming round at the bottom of
the stairs when my last memory was being in the bedroom was odd, DH was
actually on the phone with the doctor at the time asking him what to do
and he told him to dial 999, but as they had to deal with the injuries
from the fall, I don't think they paid much attention to why I had
fainted, definitely not an EKG.

Anne
Old January 28th 08, 10:45 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Anne Rogers[_4_]

Some arrhythmias are pretty benign...I have a Sinus Arrhythmia...which
basically means my heart goes faster when I breathe in and slower when I
breathe out. I used to have Sinus Tachyarrhythmia...which means the
same thing, but that it used to beat very fast, too.

I'm crossing my fingers it will be benign! Realising there are so many
variations that are still fine has been reassuring. I have occasionally
fainted and each time it's been blamed on drugs and given it's repeated
with drugs in the same group, I'm fairly sure it is, but whether it's
just a side effect, or whether the drugs made some slight abnormality
worse I don't know, several things make me suspect the latter.

Thanks for the explanation of how the impulse travels through the heart,
it really helped, I've been struggling with some of the descriptions.

Cheers
Anne
Old January 29th 08, 12:44 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Michelle J. Haines

Jamie Clark wrote:
"Michelle J. Haines" wrote in message

No, the whole QRS just wouldn't happen. If I remember correctly, he would
have a normal P-wave and a normal T-wave. He just wouldn't have the QRS
spike.

Wow that is odd. I don't think I've seen one yet with NO discernable
QRS complex. But, like I said, I'm not practiced at cardiology yet.
Still learning, since I'm still moving from Basic to Intermediate.

Michelle
Flutist
Old January 29th 08, 12:46 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Michelle J. Haines

Anne Rogers wrote:

I'm crossing my fingers it will be benign! Realising there are so many
variations that are still fine has been reassuring. I have occasionally
fainted and each time it's been blamed on drugs and given it's repeated
with drugs in the same group, I'm fairly sure it is, but whether it's
just a side effect, or whether the drugs made some slight abnormality
worse I don't know, several things make me suspect the latter.

Thanks for the explanation of how the impulse travels through the heart,
it really helped, I've been struggling with some of the descriptions.\

Well, if you've been fainting, you need to have it looked at, it may not
be benign. Hope it is.

Michelle
Flutist

Old January 29th 08, 01:33 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Jamie Clark

[...]

One of the first things they asked dh was if he was taking any medications.
There are medications that can trigger arrhythmias with syncope, but that
wasn't our issue. Hopefully it's yours.
--

Jamie Clark

scary weekend toypup General 11 June 8th 05 04:31 PM
She did everything right-- Scary Post animzmirot General (moderated) 3 February 15th 05 09:16 PM
Scary weekend-now in hospital Donna Metler Pregnancy 12 October 29th 04 11:13 PM
This is too scary not to pass along Trisha B Child Support 22 September 16th 03 04:39 AM
scary then, funny now. middletree Twins & Triplets 11 September 9th 03 02:38 AM