Husband's and solids; really a bid deal?

Old December 31st 03, 10:44 AM
Tine Andersen

Default Husband's and solids; really a big deal?

skrev i en meddelelse
m...
"Tine Andersen" wrote in message

. dk...

Yes - you're right . But in my house - for instance - DH doesn't always
agree with the medical sources (financed by the wrong companies, not

proper
science, whatever). Especially psychological sources he will turn down

as
cr*p. He doesn't consider psychology as a science at all :-)

I think psychology can be a science, and can also be practiced in a
way that isn't science at all. But any science can have sloppy
practitioners. Computational neuropsychology is definitely a science,
though. :-)

As long as it is founded on proofs he will accept it. He's a hopeless
computer science nerd (as is his DW (me)).

Tine, Denmark

Old December 31st 03, 05:06 PM
Larry McMahan

Tine Andersen writes:

: As long as it is founded on proofs he will accept it. He's a hopeless
: computer science nerd (as is his DW (me)).

OK. Let's get this straight! :-) Engineering (e.g.: "computer
science") is NOT science, although it uses the results of scientific
discoveries.

Engineers are taught to strictly categorize and use what knowledge
they have about the physical world, and use that to build useful
stuff. Scientists are taught to question even the existance of
the physical world and its manifestations.

Larry,
An "ex" Physics/Math major who works as a Computer Architect because
there were no available jobs doing "real" science. :-)
Old December 31st 03, 11:24 PM
Cheryl S.

"Tine Andersen" wrote in message
k...
But the mother does not have more/higher/better/
(what do one say in English) rights to decide IMNSHO.

I agree with this to an extent, but OTOH since I'm the one who cares for
the kids 90% of the time, then I'm the one that has to deal with the
consequences of any parenting gaffes, and that does entitle me to a bit
more say I think. Most of the time when DH does something differently
than I would, I do bite my tongue and remind myself it's good for kids
to learn that different people have different ways of doing things. But
for example if DH says something that I feel, and have read about, as
being in some way harmful (e.g., comparing one unfavorably to the other,
which harms the sibling relationship) then I will say something later
but I try not to do it in front of the kids (well, kid, at this point -
Jaden's a little young to worry about it just yet.) DH does the same
actually, if I do something he doesn't agree with. Also, as Elana
pointed out, I do all the research on child-rearing and do a lot more
thinking about the best way to do things, so more often I am the one to
decide.
--
Cheryl S.
Mom to Julie, 2 yr., 9 mo.

Cleaning the house while your children are small is like
shoveling the sidewalk while it's still snowing.

Old January 1st 04, 07:05 AM
Chookie

In article ,
Larry McMahan wrote:

OK. Let's get this straight! :-) Engineering (e.g.: "computer
science") is NOT science, although it uses the results of scientific
discoveries.

DH the computer scientist is quite miffed! He says computer science IS a
science: it's applied mathematics.

Fight! Fight! Fight!

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"Jeez; if only those Ancient Greek storytellers had known about the astonishing
creature that is the *Usenet hydra*: you cut off one head, and *a stupider one*
grows back..." -- MJ, cam.misc
Old January 1st 04, 01:28 PM
Cheryl S.

"Chookie" wrote in message
In article ,
Larry McMahan wrote:

OK. Let's get this straight! :-) Engineering (e.g.:
"computer science") is NOT science, although it
uses the results of scientific discoveries.

DH the computer scientist is quite miffed! He says
computer science IS a science: it's applied mathematics.

Fight! Fight! Fight!

I'm with Larry on this one, I think (I'm not wholly sure what exactly
computer scientists do). :-) In computer science does one give a
hypothesis, then do experiments designed to prove or disprove the
hypothesis? If not, then it's not a science (so that would even include
pure mathematics IMO). The "applied" part of "applied mathematics" puts
that into the engineering realm. Engineering is all about "doing" -
creating practical uses for scientific knowledge; science is all about
discovering new knowledge.
--
Cheryl S. - B.A. (pure) math, M.S. engineering

Old January 1st 04, 02:42 PM
Tine Andersen

Larry McMahan" skrev i en meddelelse
Tine Andersen writes:

: As long as it is founded on proofs he will accept it. He's a hopeless
: computer science nerd (as is his DW (me)).

OK. Let's get this straight! :-) Engineering (e.g.: "computer
science") is NOT science, although it uses the results of scientific
discoveries.

Engineers are taught to strictly categorize and use what knowledge
they have about the physical world, and use that to build useful
stuff. Scientists are taught to question even the existance of
the physical world and its manifestations.

Larry,
An "ex" Physics/Math major who works as a Computer Architect because
there were no available jobs doing "real" science. :-)

OK - I'll have to explain :-)

First: He used to be studying physics, but got caught in a computer course
and stayed there. He HAS been "taught to question even the existance of the
physical world and its manifestations"

Second: We both were educated at the University of Copenhagen. We are not
engineers - they are taught at another school and we don't consider them
scientists either. A great part of our education deals with true science.
But you are right - a very large part of it is teaching us proper
handicraft. I'm mostly using the latter part - DH has been more interested
in the former part.

Third: When I write "Computer Science" it's for the lack of a better term.
Our Computer Science Department do research into the fringe areas of the use
of computers. The word in Danish is "Datalogi" - the study of data. What
should I call it?

I'm always ready for a totally off-topic discussion so please go on :-)

Tine, Denmark

Old January 1st 04, 02:45 PM
Tine Andersen

"Cheryl S." skrev i en meddelelse
"Tine Andersen" wrote in message
k...
But the mother does not have more/higher/better/
(what do one say in English) rights to decide IMNSHO.

I agree with this to an extent, but OTOH since I'm the one who cares for
the kids 90% of the time, then I'm the one that has to deal with the
consequences of any parenting gaffes, and that does entitle me to a bit
more say I think.

That's maybe the difference - I only care for the kids 50% of the time. I
also only cook 50% of the time and clean 50% of the house. I do all the
washing the laundry, but I never fold a single piece of cloth - DH does.

I do earn more than 50% of the money, though :-)

Tine, Denmark

Old January 1st 04, 05:52 PM

Larry McMahan wrote in message ...
Tine Andersen writes:

: As long as it is founded on proofs he will accept it. He's a hopeless
: computer science nerd (as is his DW (me)).

OK. Let's get this straight! :-) Engineering (e.g.: "computer
science") is NOT science, although it uses the results of scientific
discoveries.

Engineers are taught to strictly categorize and use what knowledge
they have about the physical world, and use that to build useful
stuff. Scientists are taught to question even the existance of
the physical world and its manifestations.

Hmmm. I would say that computer science was both engineering and
mathematics, in that Turing machines etc. count as abstract
mathematics, and that there is at least some controversy over whether
or not mathematics is a science, in that there's argument over whether
it counts as empirical.

And I would say that science occurs when someone tests a theory about
how the world is by looking at empirical facts about the world, and
that the test has to be reproducible and the theory has to be
empirically testable.

I suppose if computer scientists propose hypotheses about what
computers are like and then design tests to determine whether or not
the computer is actually that way, then they're doing science. :-)

(We're even more hopeless nerds over here -- philosophy of science
people...)

--
C, mama to one year old nursling
Old January 1st 04, 05:55 PM

"Tine Andersen" wrote in message . dk...

Third: When I write "Computer Science" it's for the lack of a better term.
Our Computer Science Department do research into the fringe areas of the use
of computers. The word in Danish is "Datalogi" - the study of data. What
should I call it?

Applied mathematics. :-) (If you mean Turing machines and information
theory and such, that is.)

--
C, mama to one year old nursling
Old January 1st 04, 06:29 PM
Perdita Stevens

cjorp writes:

"Tine Andersen" wrote in message
. dk...
Third: When I write "Computer Science" it's for the lack of a better
term. Our Computer Science Department do research into the fringe areas
of the use of computers. The word in Danish is "Datalogi" - the study of
data. What should I call it?

Applied mathematics. :-) (If you mean Turing machines and information
theory and such, that is.)

Nah, you're talking about informatics - see e.g.
http://www.inf.ed.ac.uk/about/

"Informatics is the study of the structure, behaviour, and interactions of
both natural and engineered computational systems."

I agree that some informatics is applied mathematics, but not all
informatics is based on mathematics (and of course, mathematics can be
applied to things other than computational systems).

It's a funny old area for terminology - seems clear to me that computer
science is not a science, and neither is software engineering a kind of
engineering - that's a similar situation, some of SE is an engineering
discipline, but much of it is not and there's IMO much to be lost by
ignoring the non-engineering aspects. (Apparently, at least some
participants in the conference that popularised the term, back in
Garmisch-Partenkirchen in 1968, only used it in order to annoy the
engineers. Sadly, it stuck!)

Perdita (lurker, loves OT discussions :-)
--
Dr. Perdita Stevens
School of Informatics, University of Edinburgh