Passing an illness via breastmilk?

Old February 13th 04, 04:42 PM
iphigenia

Default Passing an illness via breastmilk?

Chookie wrote:

I would be betting that Iphigenia meant Hep B. Is Hep C the one that
is passed via eating from common dishes?

I did mean B. That was a d'oh moment for me...
I think C is only passed through bodily fluids (dirty needles, transfusions,
unsafe sex).

--
tristyn
www.tristyn.net

Old February 15th 04, 01:39 AM
Hillary Israeli

In DQQVb.442045$JQ1.382466@pd7tw1no,
Dawn Lawson wrote:

* I don't know of any such list. The research tends to be done virus
* by virus so you'll find one paper on HIV via breastmilk, another on
* West Nile, and so on.
*
*Yup, that's what I was asking you for. Where did YOU get the
*information that you're passing along?

I am not Josh, but you could start using PubMed and searching for the
keywords "breastfeeding" and "name of virus you are interested in" where
that second quote contains the actual name of the virus you are interested
in.

* * If it is a non-flashy sickness, you wont find
* anything at all. I think it is likely that all (or almost all)
* viruses can be transmitted via BM, but not all have been specifically
* studied.
*
*you think.
*Thanks.
*that tells me about what I want to know.

Huh.
interesting. He's not supposed to have an opinion?

Old February 15th 04, 01:42 AM
Hillary Israeli

In ,
JoFromOz wrote:

*It is untrue that Hep C passes through breast milk. It is only when there
*is a breach of the skin on the nipples that women with Hep C are advised not
*to feed their babies, as there is a risk of the baby recieving some blood.

Uh, that can't possibly be true. I have personally seen the bloody milk
dripping from my own nipples on more than one occasion. I wouldn't have
known I was bleeding into the milk had I not seen the pink-red milk and/or
the blood clots in the milk by random chance when I happened to be
expressing milk. Granted at the time I had a lot going on, breastwise, but
it does happen. And what if I had hep C at the time, and my son was
teething?

Old February 17th 04, 09:06 PM
Joshua Levy

(Akuvikate) wrote in message . com...
(H Schinske) wrote in message ...
wrote:

I have no
more hard data than you do, but it's a huge leap to assume a common
cold or rotavirus would attain adequate blood levels to make adequate
breastmilk levels to infect the kid.

And how you'd distinguish that from the usual vectors (fecal-oral transmission,
sneezing, etc.), is anyone's guess. I mean, who can handle a dripping cold and
a baby and NOT engage in behavior likely to transmit the infection? There are
only so many times a day you can wash your hands.

Well, that shouldn't be too hard to control for. Round up a passel of
breastfeeding moms and a passel of formula feeding moms, follow them
for a certain period of time, and see how many babies get sick with
viral respiratory infections or diarrhea/vomiting shortly after the
mom does.

You could do all the work you describe, or you could just study HIV.
Since HIV is not transmitted via casual contact, you don't have to
control for those factors. (You do need to control for transmission
pre-birth, but that is an easier thing to do.)

The HIV studies (there are many) seem to agree on a transmission rate
of about 15%.

I think the challenge is finding anyone who'd fund the study, since
it's not really a life-or-death matter either way and there's no money
to be made :-)

Another reason why this gets studied in the context of AIDS.
There is money there, and it is a life or death matter.

Joshua