MI: man charged with felony failure to pay

Old May 30th 04, 02:30 AM
Tiffany

Default MI: man charged with felony failure to pay

"Bob Whiteside" wrote in message
link.net...

"Tiffany" wrote in message

"The Dave©" wrote in message
Dusty quoted:
Adrian man charged with felony failure to pay child support

By Dennis Pelham -- Daily Telegram Staff Writer

ADRIAN -- The first felony case in Lenawee County for failure to pay
child support under a Michigan Attorney General program was sent
Thursday to circuit court for prosecution.

Delinquent support payments totaling $43,626 earned Todd Richard
McTaggart

Todd Dick Mac?

the attention from Lansing. The 40-year-old Adrian man
waived a preliminary examination on felony counts of refusing to pay
child support and third-offense habitual offender.

McTaggart was bound over to Lenawee County Circuit Court for
arraignment June 9. He was returned to jail where he has been held a
week for failing to post a bond equal to the delinquent support
payments.

Public defender Robert Jameson said the Attorney General's office
refused McTaggart's offer to post 10 percent of the $43,626 amount

as
a bond. He said McTaggart, an out-of-work construction worker, is
currently having payments taken from his unemployment checks to

apply
toward the arrearage.

McTaggart faces a possible one-year jail term if convicted.

Attorney General Michael Cox started an initiative called Paykids in
October that features an interactive Web site and criminal
prosecutions of parents who are able to pay support but refuse to do
so, said Attorney General spokesman Stu Sandler.

So, is he's unemployed, and collecting unemployment checks, how is he
"able" to pay? At least the full amount owed, of course. I know,

they
cover their asses below. The question is still valid.

McTaggart's case came to the attention of the office's child support
collection program when the custodial parent contacted the Paykids
Web site, Sandler said.

"This was quite a considerable amount, especially in the Lenawee
County area," he said.

The goal of the child support enforcement program is to collect

money
that is due to children, he said, and not simply to have delinquent
parents spend time in jail.

The program has collected $3.5 million from parents across Michigan
since October, he said, including heavyweight boxer James Toney and
former Detroit Lion Bennie Blades.

Sandler said credit reports and other history indicate McTaggart is
capable of paying support payments that have gone uncollected since
1986.

"It's our belief that there are assets that have not been

disclosed,"
he said.

"It's our belief..." Does that mean they are making wild-ass guesses
and don't really know? Any respectable person would have more to go

on
than 'belief' when going after a punishment such as this.

Jameson said his client disagrees and will contest the claim in
circuit court.

Now, if he hasn't paid since 1986, it seems obvious to me that he

could
have paid something in that time. However, if he is paying something
now, even lifted from his unemployment checks, then he should not be
facing jail time at all. How would jail time help anybody? I would
assume his unemployment checks would stop if he were in jail. Then,
his kids would get nothing during that time. How does that help them?
It is about the kids, right?

LOL... no. I wonder why the CP contacted that website about her ex if

she
was finally getting payments via the unemployment checks. Heck, if she
hadn't gotten anything since 1986, you would think she would be tickled

pink
to get something. If he goes to jail, she gets nothing. This is all

about
revenge, its not even greed.

I came away with a different take on what is going on here. A 1986 order
would be before the changes to the government getting further involved in

CS
enforcement. It wasn't until the mid-90's that the states started
collecting non-TANF CS. The state claimed to not be aware of the $43,000
arrearage until after she contacted the Paykids website for help. The

state
found him and got a garnishment against his unemployment. My guess is she
wasn't aware of the type of help the state could have provided her earlier

So the underlying questions become - How did the state establish the

$43,000
arrearage amount? Is the amount just based on the mother's verbal
statements? If this guy actually paid her, but didn't keep good records

of
those payments he is probably in a world of hurt. But if I were him I'd

try
to make her prove I owed what she claims since there are no apparent
previous state CS accounting records to back up her claim of the amount

due.

Of course, in a "he said, she said" scenario the mother almost always wins
the sympathy of the court.

Where do they say the state was unaware until she contacted the website?
They claim him to be a third offense habitual offender at one point. It also
says his unemployment checks were being garnished but it doesn't say that
happen AFTER she contacted Paykids. Her kids are obviously pretty old, how
long can they continue to try to collect? I also don't understand why you
wonder how they established the 43,000? I take it that she filed of the CS
in 1986. IT doesn't say she didn't file. Where does it say there are no CS
accounting records to back the claim?? I am wondering if I read the same
article as you?!?!??!?

Old May 30th 04, 03:08 AM
Bob Whiteside

"Tiffany" wrote in message

"The Dave©" wrote in message
[...]

I'm usually pretty good at reading comprehension. I cannot find any cite in
the article I am reading to indicate this is a first, second, third, etc.
offense by the father. The federal statute is based on the dollar amount
and the crossing of state borders to willfully avoid paying. I saw no
reference in the article to indicate the father moved to another state.

It also
says his unemployment checks were being garnished but it doesn't say that
happen AFTER she contacted Paykids. Her kids are obviously pretty old,

how
long can they continue to try to collect? I also don't understand why you
wonder how they established the 43,000? I take it that she filed of the CS
in 1986. IT doesn't say she didn't file. Where does it say there are no CS
accounting records to back the claim?? I am wondering if I read the same
article as you?!?!??!?

If the state did not know about the $43,000 arrearage until the mother
contacted the Paykids website that is a clear indication the state was not
involved in tracking and collecting CS in this case. If a father hiccups
around the $2,500 arrearage level the state kicks in all kinds of punitive
measures.

So if this father is sitting in jail based on a mother's alleged
accusations, where are his rights? How can he regain his former status if
she is making up all of the allegations? Why did she wait until the
children under a 1986 court order are obviously adults to come after him?

Old May 30th 04, 03:46 AM
Tiffany

"Tiffany" wrote in message

"The Dave©" wrote in message
[...]

Not true. My ex was in the arrears 5,000 and they did nothing.

So if this father is sitting in jail based on a mother's alleged
accusations, where are his rights? How can he regain his former status

if
she is making up all of the allegations? Why did she wait until the
children under a 1986 court order are obviously adults to come after him?

"The 40-year-old Adrian man waived a preliminary
examination on felony counts of refusing to pay child support and
third-offense habitual offender." - ?????

How long can the state continue to go after a payee for CS?

Old May 30th 04, 04:08 AM
Dusty

"Tiffany" wrote in message

"The 40-year-old Adrian man waived a preliminary
examination on felony counts of refusing to pay child support and
third-offense habitual offender." - ?????

How long can the state continue to go after a payee for CS?

As I understand it.. there is NO statute of limitations on the collection
of CS. So long as you owe any amount of CS, the state will come after it.