childproofing touch buttons?

Old June 27th 04, 12:38 AM
Nancy P

Default childproofing touch buttons?

Does anyone know of a way to childproof touch buttons (such as on a
microwave or dishwasher)? DD is driving me crazy canceling the dishwasher
mid-cycle. Other than this issue, I have no reason to prevent her from
being in the kitchen.

Nancy

Old June 27th 04, 01:11 AM
Leigh Menconi

Check your dishwasher manual and see if there's a way to disable the keys.
On mine, you hold down the "no heat dry" button for about 4 seconds and then
it locks/unlocks the keypad buttons. Once my daughter figured out she
couldn't turn it off, she gave up for awhile. Now she just unlatches.
Can't figure out how to lock that yet.

Leigh

Old June 27th 04, 02:04 AM
toypup

"Nancy P" wrote in message
Does anyone know of a way to childproof touch buttons (such as on a
microwave or dishwasher)? DD is driving me crazy canceling the dishwasher
mid-cycle. Other than this issue, I have no reason to prevent her from
being in the kitchen.

Don't remember where I got mine, but it was one of those childproofing
stores online. It's a plastic shield you put on the dishwasher that covers
the buttons, sort of like the tv shields. Works okay until they realize
they can pull that down.

Old June 27th 04, 02:24 AM
Tori M.

would a gentle tap on the hand and a firm no touch work?
Tori
--
Bonnie 3/20/02
Anna or Xavier due 10/17/04

Old June 27th 04, 02:34 AM
toypup

"Tori M." wrote in message
would a gentle tap on the hand and a firm no touch work?

I'm sure that's something OP has already tried that. DS was also very
curious and was into everything. I know some children who listen to
instructions but he was not one of them and required massive amounts of
childproofing. It's not a parenting problem, just the temperament of the
child. I'm told DH was the same way as a toddler and he's fine now and so
is DS, who just turned 3.

Old June 27th 04, 03:45 AM
Tori M.

Just thought I would ask I know some things Bonnie just needs a tap or 2
to take her interests away and some things you need an army of interesting
things to march through the kitchen to stop her from doing whatever. Right
now I am trying to teach her the table, even though we do not use it, is not
her jungle gym. She keeps getting into hubbies nasty cigs. ewwww

Tori

--
Bonnie 3/20/02
Anna or Xavier due 10/17/04

Old June 27th 04, 04:06 AM
Nancy P

"Tori M." wrote in message
would a gentle tap on the hand and a firm no touch work?
Tori
--
Bonnie 3/20/02

LOL, no way. She's purposely doing things she knows I don't want her to
when I'm nursing my newborn. A tap would be likely to provoke it happening
more.

Nancy

Old June 27th 04, 04:08 AM
Nancy P

"Leigh Menconi" wrote in message
link.net...
Check your dishwasher manual and see if there's a way to disable the keys.
On mine, you hold down the "no heat dry" button for about 4 seconds and

then
it locks/unlocks the keypad buttons. Once my daughter figured out she
couldn't turn it off, she gave up for awhile. Now she just unlatches.
Can't figure out how to lock that yet.

Leigh

Thanks so much. I'll pull out the manual tomorrow. For the latch issue
(which I'm also having), I'm planning on ordering this:
http://makeashorterlink.com/?Y25C138A8

Nancy

Old June 27th 04, 04:09 AM
Nancy P

"toypup" wrote in message

Don't remember where I got mine, but it was one of those childproofing
stores online. It's a plastic shield you put on the dishwasher that

covers
the buttons, sort of like the tv shields. Works okay until they realize
they can pull that down.

Thanks. If I can't override the buttons, I'll definitely look into that.

Nancy

Old June 27th 04, 04:18 AM
Tori M.

Ahh an attention getter! I understand completly!

Tori

--
Bonnie 3/20/02
Anna or Xavier due 10/17/04