OT ish - Infant and mouse invasion

Old September 2nd 06, 05:15 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
cjra

Default OT ish - Infant and mouse invasion

Chookie wrote:
In article ,
Cheri Stryker wrote:

Here's my question. He mostly gets put down on a comforter on the
living room floor. We are currently suffering from a truly heinous
mouse invasion. Like, one or two on glue traps every three/four days.

I'm having a nervous breakdown. I don't know where all they are
running; though the babe is never left unobserved, so there's not been
any first-hand encounters between him and mice. How freaked out do I
have to be about him being on or near the floor? He's gonna crawl soon
- I think I might just steam the whole house before then.

I'm not getting why the mice would be after DS. He isn't cheese!

*MY* biggest worry with rats, but not mice (we have had rats also) is
the feces left behind due to hantavirus, but not sure that's an issue
for the OP.

They're still gross. We have mice who are very bold (at least they were
pre-cat) and would venture into places we were and nibble far too
closely!

Old September 3rd 06, 07:15 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Cheri Stryker

Default OT ish - Infant and mouse invasion - thanks to all

Cheri Stryker wrote:
I'm having a nervous breakdown. I don't know where all they are
running; though the babe is never left unobserved, so there's not been
any first-hand encounters between him and mice. How freaked out do I
have to be about him being on or near the floor? He's gonna crawl soon
- I think I might just steam the whole house before then.

Thanks, everyone, who took me seriously. We've got a play yard set up,
and will be doing a big-deal inspection this weekend to find the entry
points. Wish us luck!
--
Cheri Stryker

mom to DS1 - 7 yrs, and DS2 - 6 months
Old September 3rd 06, 07:23 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Cheri Stryker

Chookie wrote:

I'm not getting why the mice would be after DS. He isn't cheese!

[laughter] No, I'm more paranoid about germs and fleas. I can smell
the areas that they frequent (though no one else in the family can), and
am getting more and more bothered by it. I sat DH down and explained to
him that I don't understand why he's so unconcerned, and would
appreciate a little more freaking out on his part. He promised he would
try.

Old September 4th 06, 01:07 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Chookie

In article ,
Cheri Stryker wrote:

Chookie wrote:

I'm not getting why the mice would be after DS. He isn't cheese!

[laughter] No, I'm more paranoid about germs and fleas.

It would be rare for mice to bite a baby (they aren't aggressive, unlike
rats), and if you vaccuum he shouldn't be able to get to their poos. Come to
think of it, there is probably more risk to him from *inhaling* a poo than
eating it.

I've never seen a flea, but I'm told they are usually easy to see on carpets
etc.

Your family might not recognise that musty smell as mice.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Kerry Cue
Old September 4th 06, 07:47 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Cheri Stryker

Chookie wrote:

I've never seen a flea, but I'm told they are usually easy to see on carpets
etc.

Your family might not recognise that musty smell as mice.

You've never seen a flea?!? Wow. Lucky. When I was about 14 and still
believed in letting my cats outside, we had an infestation so bad that I
once counted about 20 on one foot! (I love Advantage.)

Old September 4th 06, 08:42 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Dave {Reply Address In.sig}

Cheri Stryker wrote:
Chookie wrote:

I've never seen a flea, but I'm told they are usually easy to see on carpets
etc.

Your family might not recognise that musty smell as mice.

You've never seen a flea?!? Wow. Lucky. When I was about 14 and still
believed in letting my cats outside, we had an infestation so bad that I
once counted about 20 on one foot! (I love Advantage.)

Our cats have free access to outside and rarely bring fleas into the
house. I don't think it would be possible to keep them indoors, they
enjoy the countryside too much, and terrorise the local mouse population.

--
Dave
mail da (without the space)
Old September 4th 06, 11:54 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Chookie

In article ,
Cheri Stryker wrote:

You've never seen a flea?!? Wow. Lucky.

Lucky in that I've never had a cat or a dog as a pet!

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Kerry Cue
Old September 5th 06, 10:49 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
[email protected]

Jess writes:

: Can you get a cat? Semi-seriously.

: Jess

This was goning to be my suggestion.

Larry
Old September 7th 06, 09:23 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Cheri Stryker

Dave {Reply Address In.sig} wrote:
Cheri Stryker wrote:
You've never seen a flea?!? Wow. Lucky. When I was about 14 and still
believed in letting my cats outside, we had an infestation so bad that I
once counted about 20 on one foot! (I love Advantage.)

Our cats have free access to outside and rarely bring fleas into the
house. I don't think it would be possible to keep them indoors, they
enjoy the countryside too much, and terrorise the local mouse population.

Too many cars, too many dead cats. I have indoor cats only, now.
--
Cheri Stryker

mom to DS1 - 7 yrs, and DS2 - 6.5 months