ot - foreign languages

Old September 8th 06, 07:41 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Anne Rogers

Default ot - foreign languages

I do agree with you... I learned South African English
at age 5, but switched to American English when we moved
to the U.S. at age 10. But, individual anecdotes aside,
enough research has shown that babies to start to fail
to distinguish non-native language sounds at around
6 months of age.

That surprises me, from DS being 18months, after initially hearing only
English, he was suddenly plunged into hearing mostly Korean, or English
spoken with a Korean accent, at that stage he only had a handful of words
and had a similar handful of Korean words, imagine our surprise when we came
back to the UK and he suddenly had a language explosion, of English words,
but all spoken in a Korean accent! We assumed they were standard toddler
mispronuciations, but when we listened to other toddlers, we realised he was
definitely speaking in a Korean accent, it took nearly a year for him to
lose it.

Anne

Old September 11th 06, 07:40 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
oregonchick

"Linda" wrote in message ...
Am thinking about teaching DD a second language at the same time as she's
learning to read etc (yes this is a while off yet, just thinking ahead).
I know the basics in a few languages so I would pick one where I know
correct pronunciation etc, but it would be both uf us learning together.
I figure we just get some toddler books in the other language and use them
at times and slowly increase the difficulty as she gets older. Also got
people around who could speak to her in it.
Would this be confusing to her and interrupt normal learning development?
Has anyone tried anything similar?
Thanks

I have a friend who is chinese. Her 2.5 yr old is learning english, chinese
and sign language. There doesn't seem to be any problem for her. I myself
am amazed. My husband is german, so our daughter will be hopefully raised
bilingual.

Old September 11th 06, 07:47 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
[email protected]

oregonchick writes:

: "Linda" wrote in message ...
[...]

We have done this, and it is "easy" but requires a strict adherence to a
simple, but easily forgotten protocol. Each person must *insist* on
*always* speaking to the child in their native language, even in public
where the native language is not spoken.

We live in California, and raised our kids German/English bilingual.
Monika *always* spoke/speaks German to them, even if we are out in
public and *EVERYONE* else is speaking English. They are now 9 and 7
and are quite fluent in both languages *AND PROUD OF IT!*

If you adhere to this rule, it will work out well,
Larry
Old September 11th 06, 11:37 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Lili

Hi Linda...

There is a great book I read not long ago :-
"Growing up with two Languages" by Una Cunningham and her partner (I didn't
note his name down). This book looks at a range of situations - where both
parents speak a second language or, in your case, where you want to
introduce a language not known.

What language are you thinking of introducing?

English is my second language - I was introduced to English when I started
my schooling at the age of 5 years. I spoke only Serbian at home.

Now I am considering doing the same for my 9-month old. My husband and I
both speak only Serbian at home. However, my son will be exposed to English
much earlier - through family, friends, day-care and eventually school. I
have no concerns that it will interrupt his development - I mean, I turned
out okay with the English language!

The book I mentioned discusses being consistent with the second language. It
recommends one parent speaks solely English and the other parent speak
solely the second language. Irrespective, I think even semi-exposure, which
is what you're considering would be fine given that toddlers tend to absorb
languages easily. We have a family friend whose little one at the age of two
years was speaking Greek, English and Macedonian due to her extended family!
You also mentioned you have people around you who would be able to speak the
language, which would have an impact on her learning as well.

Good luck!

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lili

Old September 12th 06, 03:43 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Linda

"Lili" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks - I learned both German and French for quite a number of years, so
while I don't remember a whole lot am pretty sure I'd pick them up easily
again, but the language I'm leaning towards is Hungarian as this is my
heritage and is where my Mother was born (even though french or german would
probably be more useful). We spent some time there when I was little and
apparantley I was fluent at the age of 4. I only remember bits now, but I
figure if my mother only speaks to DD in Hungarian thats a good start and we
can read hungarian books together etc. It's out of the question for me to
try to speak only in Hungarian to DD as I simply don't know enough, and DH
is dubious to begin with so he would hate it. But I figure she'll pick it
up gradually, I just hope it doesn't get too confusing for her.
And yes, it's a shame I didn't carry on speaking Hungarian as I grew up, but
apparantley it wasn't what my family thought best at the time.
A friend of my mothers recently had a stroke and completely lost all her
english, could only speak hungarian, but marrying into an english family,
her husband and kids never learned hungarian and can now no longer speak to
her.

Old September 12th 06, 04:19 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Lili

"Linda" wrote in message ...

[...]

Hi again,

If your mother is able to speak to your daughter in Hungarian than you're
all set - especially if she will have the opportunity to spend time with her
also. Maybe you could pick up more of the language through your mother as
well. Growing up I spoke fluent Serbian and English, however my mother also
spoke Romanian... I found it difficult to pick the language up in my teens,
when I showed some interest in learning another language. One of my closest
friends is Hungarian and in her thirties - she spoke little of the language
until she returned to visit her father for a few months here and there and
has picked it up quite quickly. Do you plan on travelling back to Hungary??
ie if you have more family there? as that will be an opportunity for your
daughter to learn the language also.

There are too many options to choose from really!

Lili

Old September 12th 06, 06:00 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Linda

[...]

Hi thanks, I feel quite encouraged!!

Old September 12th 06, 03:05 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
oregonchick

wrote in message ...
oregonchick writes:

: "Linda" wrote in message
[...]

Larry, do you speak German? I am thinking it would be a little more
difficult for us, since I don't have a great command of the language. Maybe
I should pick up a class too...

Old September 12th 06, 05:48 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
[email protected]

oregonchick writes:

: Larry, do you speak German? I am thinking it would be a little more
: difficult for us, since I don't have a great command of the language. Maybe
: I should pick up a class too...

Jein. (Yes and no :-)...

This is a long story....

I took one year of German in college many years ago (after taking 2 years
of high school French and two years of college French. As an engineer,
I had to do anything I could to avoid "humanities" classes, and still
fulfill the requirements. Another lannguage was the ticket, I had already
maxed out my science and engineering with "Space Science" and any number
of comupter classes).

I promptly forget everything I learned, as I never used it.

When I met Monika 10 years ago and decided to marry her, she announced
that she was going to teach her children to speak German, and if I wanted
to understand what she was telling them I had better darned well learn it!
She also invited me to Germany to meet her father (OMG!). I bought the
Pimsleur II and Pimsleur III German Language tapes (I figured [corrctly]
that having taken German in college, I could skip Pimsleur I). I played
the tapes as I commuted to work EVERY day, until I knew every phrase by
heart. Once I had a working base, I would ask Monika to only speak German
to me as we drove from place to place in the car.

That, and listening to her talk to the kids for 9 years has given me a
pretty good base of fundamantal German. I am not as fluent as I would
like to be, but I can easily make my way around in places where no
English is spoken.

Some opinions; Classes don't make a damn if you don't use the language
constantly. Some kind of immersion or frequent repetition is absolutely
necessary, at least until you reach a certain level of adeptness. I
highly recommend the Pimsleur tapes (or CDs), and would say that you have
to use them at least an hour a day until you have them down cold. You
have to go all the way through level III. Next comes vocabulary expansion.
This can only be done with constant exposure and usage.

Good luck,
Larry
Old September 13th 06, 03:24 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
oregonchick

wrote in message ...
oregonchick writes:

[...]

Thanks. Time to dust off the CD's I bought when we first got together...
We'll be spending 3 weeks in December with his non english speaking parents!