new rotavirus vaccine? Anyone had their child vaccinated?

Old July 15th 07, 11:43 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy,misc.kids,misc.kids.breastfeeding
don_tspamme

Default new rotavirus vaccine? Anyone had their child vaccinated?

Hi, I'm trying to decide whether to have my daughter immunized with
the new (as opposed to the old, problematic one) vaccine. I've spoken
to two different pediatricians about it, and they both feel its safe.
Has anyone had their child vaccinated? On the one hand, I'm wary
because its only been out a year, but apparently thousands of children
have been immunized with it without problems. And I hate the stomach
flu, if I could have been immunized for it, I'd probably do it!
Anyway, just wondering if any of you moms have, and how you feel about
it.

Old July 16th 07, 02:03 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy,misc.kids,misc.kids.breastfeeding
Jamie Clark

Is this the same as the "flu shot"? We've had flu shots for the past 3
years and never had a problem with them. My older daughter is prone to
asthma when she gets a cold, so we've been advised to have everyone in the
family have flu shots so that we hopefully keep one more instance of
cold/flu at bay.
--

Jamie
Earth Angels:

oups.com...

Old July 16th 07, 02:27 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy,misc.kids,misc.kids.breastfeeding
dejablues[_3_]

"Jamie Clark" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Rotavirus is a virus that causes diarrhea and vomiting, not respiratory
symptoms. Just wait, your kids will get it when they go to school, it
usually strikes in the late winter.

If my kids were younger, I'd probably get them vaccinated, because it really
is a very unpleasant illness. Howevere, having survived several bouts
already (each one more mild than the last) they probably don't need it.
Remember though, not all viral intestinal infections are caused by the
rotavirus, so even with the vaccine, your kids might still get "stomach
flu".

Old July 16th 07, 02:47 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy,misc.kids,misc.kids.breastfeeding
Jeff

Jamie Clark wrote:
Is this the same as the "flu shot"?

Influenza (the flu) is a disease that is caused by a particular group of
viruses, influenza viruses. Every year, the officials at the CDC and
other government agencies make their best guess at what would be the
strains most likely to be in circulation in the US, and makes the
vaccine so that it provides protection against these strains. There is a
different vaccine every year. This is the flu.

IMHO, this is the only illness that docs and the CDC should ever refer
to as "the flu."

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/

The stomach flu is a misnomer for a variety of illnesses that cause
vomiting, diarrhea, stomach cramps, nausea, etc.

Rotavirus is a specific infection that causes usually causes a mild
illness is adults. Almost every child gets exposed to it. When a kid
gets exposed to it for the first time, it can cause a severe diarrhea,
vomiting and cramps, lasting up to around 8 days, severe enough to kill
several kids (I think around 50 in the US, but I am not sure). It does
cause about 55,000 hospitalizations in the US and about 600,000 deaths
worldwide. Once you had rotavirus, it tends to cause a less severe
illness, maybe a day or two of puking, cramps and not so severe diarrhea.

http://www.cdc.gov/rotavirus/

We've had flu shots for the past 3
years and never had a problem with them. My older daughter is prone to
asthma when she gets a cold, so we've been advised to have everyone in the
family have flu shots so that we hopefully keep one more instance of
cold/flu at bay.

I hope I have shown you that influenza is a specific disease, very
different from rotavirus infection. Protection against rotavirus does
not confer protection against influenza or vice versa.

The vaccine has been shown to be both safe and effective. The CDC and
FDA officials are following for increased rates of intusseception very
carefully, and have not found any.

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd-vac/...us/default.htm

Jeff

Jeff
Old July 16th 07, 02:53 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy,misc.kids,misc.kids.breastfeeding
Jeff

dejablues wrote:
[...]

I hate to argue, but usually kids get it in the first or second year of
life. It spreads rapidly and easily. Of course, they will probably get
it again when they get to school, too. But the first time is usually the
most severe illness.

If my kids were younger, I'd probably get them vaccinated, because it really
is a very unpleasant illness.

And potentially deadly, too.

Howevere, having survived several bouts
already (each one more mild than the last) they probably don't need it.

Also the vaccine is only for little kids.

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/vis/downloads/vis-rotavirus.pdf

Remember though, not all viral intestinal infections are caused by the
rotavirus, so even with the vaccine, your kids might still get "stomach
flu".

There is no such thing as the stomach flu. If it is an infection that
affects the stomach and intestines, then the illness is gastroenteritis.
The reason why I emphasize this is that there is no relationship
between this virus and the flu virus. Calling gastroenteritis the
stomach flu is confusing.

Jeff
Old July 16th 07, 03:04 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy,misc.kids,misc.kids.breastfeeding
dejablues[_3_]

"Jeff" wrote in message
dejablues wrote:
[...]

That's why I put "stomach flu" in quotes. I don't like that terminology
either. Most people call it that, though.
I'd figure that kids that get rotavirus in the first year or two of life are
in daycare? Mine never went, they only got it after being in a school
setting.
Those few episodes are still burned into my brain all these years later,
ther were so awful.

Old July 16th 07, 03:18 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy,misc.kids,misc.kids.breastfeeding
Anne Rogers[_4_]

I'd figure that kids that get rotavirus in the first year or two of life are
in daycare? Mine never went, they only got it after being in a school
setting.

I read somewhere that is was something like 80% of kids got it by age 2
and almost all by age 5. As far as I know my kids haven't had it (they
are 4 and 2) and it sounds like something you'd know about if they did
have it! The were both in part time daycare.

Cheers
Anne
Old July 16th 07, 03:32 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy,misc.kids,misc.kids.breastfeeding
Jeff

dejablues wrote:
[...]

I know. But I won't stop mentioning when I can.

I'd figure that kids that get rotavirus in the first year or two of life are
in daycare? Mine never went, they only got it after being in a school
setting.

Daycare or the germ incubator? Same thing. Kids who go to daycare tend
to share a lot, like germs. They also tend to get more colds. But less
asthma.

I believe that most kids do get it in the first or second year of life.
In fact, usually they get it several times. But the time you're an
adult, when you get it, you tend to have a little bit of the runs, maybe
going a few times or having a little vomiting, and that's it. It's
almost only little kids who get deathly ill, although older kids can get
really ill if it is their first time, too.

So daycare is one way that diarrhea viruses, including rotavirus, is
spread. (Influenza and cold viruses, too.) Kids are not particularly
good at hygiene, particularly when it tends to leak out of their diapers
and/or kids tend to touch things that are normally covered by diapers.
And bigger kids tend to spread these viruses to little siblings, too.
Plus, after the kids are feeling better and symptom-free, they still
make the virus for a few weeks.

Those few episodes are still burned into my brain all these years later,
ther were so awful.

There is a sudden onset form of vomiting and diarrhea, called noravirus.
It tends to last about 24 hours (which is why it is often called the
24-hour flu). It spreads really easily. People tend to get the virus in
the hours before starting a cruise and get sick while on the cruise.
Then they spread it to others (i.e., it is not the cruise ships' fault.)
for a few weeks. The symptoms are nasty, but do clear up within a day or
so, although people are still not feeling up to snuff for up to a week
or so.

It also tends to spread through schools. Kids in school tend not to have
the best hygiene, too. And in some of the schools I have been in,
helpful things like soap and faucets that turn on and off automatically
(those faucets with separate hot and cold that you have to push the
entire time they are on are probably the worst, but I still see them in
some school) , have not always been readily available. So kids who had
been recently ill and need to poop at school may not be able to really
help not spread the virus, even if their hand washing is really good. I
suspect that your kids may have had relatively mild rotavirus when they
were preschool age and had noravirus when they were in school. But it
doesn't matter. You do the obviously motherly or fatherly things when
they are sick (i.e., clean up), getting them drinking again, and nature
clears the rest up, with both rotavirus and noravirus. So they could
have had rotavirus or noravirus in school or both. Life runs for a few
days, then you move on. And it happens to us all.

Jeff
Old July 16th 07, 04:43 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy,misc.kids,misc.kids.breastfeeding
Jamie Clark

"dejablues" wrote in message

[...]

Oh, we've had it, believe you me. I just didn't realise there was a vaccine
for it. If they offer it to me, we're taking it!

Old July 16th 07, 04:47 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy,misc.kids,misc.kids.breastfeeding
Leslie

On Jul 15, 6:43?pm, don_tspamme wrote:
Hi, I'm trying to decide whether to have my daughter immunized with
the new (as opposed to the old, problematic one) vaccine. I've spoken
to two different pediatricians about it, and they both feel its safe.
Has anyone had their child vaccinated? On the one hand, I'm wary
because its only been out a year, but apparently thousands of children
have been immunized with it without problems. And I hate the stomach
flu, if I could have been immunized for it, I'd probably do it!
Anyway, just wondering if any of you moms have, and how you feel about
it.

The old rotavirus vaccine, as I am sure you know, was pulled because
it turned out to cause dangerous complications for some babies.
Personally, I would not trust any vaccine that had been out only a
year, but that is me. Two of my kids have had rotavirus. It is truly
unpleasant for everyone but they were never in any danger. I don't
know the statistics on what percentage of kids end up hospitalized or
with serious complications. My philosophy is that having the disease
builds up their immune systems.

Leslie