Clingy 1 year old

Old July 19th 07, 09:48 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
NL

Default Clingy 1 year old

Dave {Reply Address in.Sig} schrieb:

Kit hadn't bothered to start talking at age 2, although his comprehension
was just fine - we could give him a detailed list of instruction (go to the
corner, turn to your left, look up, see the toy...) and he'd follow it, so
he was obviously fine in all other respects.

Sam was much the same. He understood what I wanted and followed my
instructions, except when he didn't want to (stubborn like a mule! I
have no Idea where he gets it from *cough cough*). But he does have
other problems going on, too. Like his perception problem (didn't like
to be touched at all, putting him to bed had to go the exact same way
every night or he'd scream and scream until I did it "right",...) He's
much better now, but noisy environments still cause a lot of stress for
him because he's got problems filtering the important sounds. (I always
say it's like someone whispering in your ear at a football game, you'd
have problems understanding the one doing the whispering just like he
does when there's lots of people talking at the same time.

So, I'd go for an evaluation, see what's up.

cu
nicole
Old July 19th 07, 10:18 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Workingmom

NL skrev:
[...]

Those are some of the characteristics of Gifted children.

The truly creative mind in any field is no more than this:
A human creature born abnormally, inhumanely sensitive.
To him...
a touch is a blow,
a sound is a noise,
a misfortune is a tragedy,
a joy is an ecstasy,
a friend is a lover,
a lover is a god, and
failure is death.

Tine, Denmark, Mother of two highly intelligent kids (sigh!)
Old July 19th 07, 11:07 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
NL

Workingmom schrieb:

Those are some of the characteristics of Gifted children.

We've done an IQ test and he's totally within the normal range ;-)

cu
nicole
Old July 20th 07, 02:13 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
PK

Default speech delay (was Clingy 1 year old)

On Jul 18, 9:00 pm, Anne Rogers wrote:
You should be able to contact your local
Early Start office. They provide therapy
for the under-3 crowd. (I'm not sure if
they do this for non-Americans, though.)

I think as residents and tax payers we qualify for everything, but I'm
not entirely sure. The doctor told us our insurance did cover it - which
I know you can't always trust that, but so many people have this
particular one around here that they do tend to know, but when I looked
it up it mentioned speech therapy wasn't covered, but only under a
section on Autism benefits, and no mention of it elsewhere. We also have
this bizarre thing where some things are covered if they are given by a
doctor, but not if they are given by someone trained in that specific
thing, but not a doctor, such as massage, a massage therapist might
actually give you a far better treatment.

Cheers
Anne

Anne,
Aks about Early Intervention Evaluations. Those are free, regardless
of the immigration status, as long as the child is under three (and in
some cases five) years of age.

I know because we are in exactly the same situation with E (suspected
speech delay) - but the her doctor is holding off on the eval because
she's being brought up biligual and because she's just passed her 18
month mark (so considered a little on the young side). But she will be
scheduled for an eval in Aug. Like a PP said, just be prepared for a
long wait.

PK

Old July 20th 07, 06:22 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Anne Rogers[_4_]

Aks about Early Intervention Evaluations. Those are free, regardless
of the immigration status, as long as the child is under three (and in
some cases five) years of age.

we've got her 2 year check scheduled for August 10th, which is actually
when she's 26mths, I'd been recommended to schedule something when we
saw a doctor in April, unfortunately our doctor was ill and cancelled
one appointment and then another was covered by a different doctor, so
we never talked it through with her, then after that she did seem to
have a bit of a spurt, so I thought I'd wait and discuss it at her 2yr
check, which when I called to schedule ended up being 3mths away, which
was a bit of a surprise as when it was her 18mth one, they offered us
something in about a week with the named doctor, though we actually
needed to go in more urgently, so they found us a slot to do both with a
different doctor the next day. Then I kind of left it hanging, not
really wanting to make a specific appointment, but not really knowing
what the situation was either, now it's so close to the appointment I
will wait, though I get less worried as time passes, today she's
produced several new words as well as new contexts for using the same words.

Cheers
Anne
Old July 20th 07, 06:35 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Anne Rogers[_4_]

Those are some of the characteristics of Gifted children.

The truly creative mind in any field is no more than this:
A human creature born abnormally, inhumanely sensitive.
To him...
a touch is a blow,
a sound is a noise,
a misfortune is a tragedy,
a joy is an ecstasy,
a friend is a lover,
a lover is a god, and
failure is death.

We haven't had our DS (different child to the one previously talked
about in this thread) tested, but we're starting to think that maybe
he's more than just bright, I found another list on our school district
website and he met several of those and this one is just like a
description of him. It's not that surprising if he did turn out to be
gifted, both DH and I are very good in our chosen fields (attending the
2nd ranked university in the world - possibly 1st in out subjects), I
don't know what assessments would have resulted in when we were young, I
think we were both the kind of person that blossomed when we found our
niche in our teenage years and seemed quite normal before that. With DS
we can see the characteristics of giftedness and his preschool teachers
parting comment was "you do realise he's exceedingly bright don't you",
I nodded, but inside my response was sh*t, of course I want my child to
be smart, to have talents etc. but I'd much rather have them to be a
balance individual who's needs can be met in a regular class and that he
acheives at the high end of that class.

Right now I'm trying to work out whether the school districts gifted and
talented program being hosted at our local school is a good thing or
not. Right now I'm inclined not have him tested for it, but as it's
there, he'll know about it and be aware of it. But we'll cross that
bridge when we come to it, even though it's a year early he meets all
the criteria for kindgarten across all the areas, but being a May
birthday we're not even considering that, so he'll be in K Sept 08, but
the testing for the gifted program is pretty soon after that. Thankfully
I have all you guys around who can walk me through it!

Anne
Old July 20th 07, 08:19 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Workingmom

Anne Rogers skrev:
Right now I'm trying to work out whether the school districts gifted and
talented program being hosted at our local school is a good thing or
not. Right now I'm inclined not have him tested for it, but as it's
there, he'll know about it and be aware of it. But we'll cross that
bridge when we come to it, even though it's a year early he meets all
the criteria for kindgarten across all the areas, but being a May
birthday we're not even considering that, so he'll be in K Sept 08, but
the testing for the gifted program is pretty soon after that. Thankfully
I have all you guys around who can walk me through it!

Being gifted myself and having a lot of trouble with it during school
time I'd say: the earlier you know about your kid (and about yourself)
the better you can handle it.

Being High-IQ is a two-sided sword (do you say that in English?). It's a
gift and it's can be a handicap. But NOT knowing will only make it worse.

Some high-IQ kids function perfectly normal with normal kids - and some
don't. For the latter group it's a blessing to be with kids of the same
kind. Imagine being a normal-IQ kid in a school where all the other kids
have Downs syndrom - and the teacher does too. Not many kids would
thrive under those circumstances.

I know that my 13-yo daugther didn't like school before she moved to a
special school for gifted kids - it's only very recently such a school
has been formed here in Denmark - it's not considered good to be gifted
or to even speak about it. 'If he's so bright why can't he just take
care of himself and his own learning?'

I finally took a test last fall (at the age of 48) and discovered that
I'm in the top 1% - boy was I surprised!! I now have a lot of fun
meeting other high-IQ people and my tolerance towards other people have
increased immensely.

Go get your DS assessed - it's no help to put your head in a bush like
an ostrich (as we say in Denmark - I hope you get the picture)

Tine
Old July 20th 07, 01:56 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
betsy

On Jul 19, 10:35 pm, Anne Rogers wrote:
[...]

In your area, you also have a K-8 private school that specializes in
gifted children. It might be worth checking out the options now while
you still have time for testing before he starts school.

--Betsy