Autism Vaccine Decision

Old March 15th 08, 02:05 AM posted to misc.health.alternative,misc.kids.health,misc.kids,misc.headlines,talk.politics.medicine
Jan Drew

Default Autism Vaccine Decision

"Richard Shewmaker" wrote in message
Jan Drew wrote:
http://www.whptv.com/news/local/stor...f-ed1aebfc427c
Autism Vaccine Decision

They exist to protect our children from deadly diseases, but a landmark
federal case may shed some doubt about vaccines in the minds of parents.
A court has decided to compensate a family who claims their daughter
developed autism from her vaccine.

"For the first time the court has conceded in a case that indicates that
vaccines can indeed cause autism," says John Gilmore, Autism United.

The case is that of 9-year-old Hannah Poling of Atlanta, Georgia. Before
the concession, Hannah's case was to be heard in the federal vaccine
court.

The decision is fanning the flames of the controversial firestorm
dividing the medical and autism communities. Thousands of parents,
including Adams County mom Holly Bortfeld, claim their child's autism was
injected into them with the vaccine.

CBS 21 News interviewed Bortfeld last April about her son Max, who was
diagnosed with autism ten years ago.

"I believe he got autism from his vaccinations," says Bortfeld.

The specific culprit is thimerosal, a mercury based preservative that was
in most vaccines. It was removed in 2001.

But for max, Hannah and scores of others who got the shots before then,
this case out of Atlanta is helping their arguments. But will it hurt
vaccines?

"I think it's a little bit of a leap of faith to go from this case to
vaccines definitely cause autism," says Dr. Paul Williams, Houcks Road
Family Practice.

Dr. Williams says since the documents on Hannah's case are sealed, he
says he doesn't know what the judge's based their decision on. Was it
scientific fact or was it just political expediency?

As for vaccines today Dr. Williams says, "At this point I feel
comfortable and confident that the current vaccine supply is safe and I
wouldn't hesitate in vaccinating my family or my patients."

Thimerosal remains in some vaccines including the flu shot.

Hannah's family is asking for mercury to be removed from all vaccines,
and they just might have the political weight behind them now to get
their demands met.

Hannah Poling was also diagnosed with mitochondrial, a rare metabolic
disorder that shares symptoms with autism. The federal court concedes
vaccines may have caused that disorder and "autism-like" symptoms in
Hannah.

Since when is scientific truth determined by court decision? Even if the
Supreme Court decreed that the sun sets in the east, that would not make
it so.

--Rich

This thread is not about scientific truth determined by courts decision.
It IS about For the first time the court has conceded in a case that

Old March 15th 08, 02:08 AM posted to misc.health.alternative,misc.kids.health,misc.kids,misc.headlines,talk.politics.medicine
Jan Drew

wrote:

On Mar 14, 12:33 pm, Richard Shewmaker wrote:

Wrong. You left out 666.

Which is a very good name for Rich Shewmaker.

Old March 15th 08, 02:10 AM posted to misc.health.alternative,misc.kids.health,misc.kids,misc.headlines,talk.politics.medicine
Jan Drew

"Richard Shewmaker" wrote in message

You already posted that.
Forget already?

Old March 15th 08, 02:24 AM posted to misc.health.alternative,misc.kids.health,misc.kids,misc.headlines,talk.politics.medicine
Jan Drew

"Mark Probert" wrote in message
On Mar 14, 2:03 pm, wrote:
On Mar 14, 12:42 pm, Richard Shewmaker wrote:

Since when is scientific truth determined by court decision? Even if the
Supreme Court decreed that the sun sets in the east, that would not
make it so.

--Rich- Hide quoted text -

I would hope not.

Tell that to those who incessantly post about Barrett and the courts.

Are you dredging on the past, Freddie?

http://groups.google.com/group/sci.m...c0698e78a0163c
March 21: 9:16 am 2006

.. If you, and Jan, want to dredge up ancient
history, feel free. I do not play that game anymore.

If you continue to post with the same attitude, I will correctly
assume that you, too, in addition to Jan, want the war to continue.
I do not.

I have offered them peace, but they refuse. I will not merely turn the
other cute cheek.

Yet the gov thinks they can decide what is good for
your health,

MP Lousy analogy, Chuckie. When the government makes recommendations,
they are basing it on experts.

Expert liars.

When the courts make decisions, they
are basing it on sympathy. Fortunately, under Daubert and Frye, that
will change.

force you to drop your pants,

So you can speak louder.

and take as many shots of
vaccines as they deem necessary, thus proving that the sun sets in the
East.

Only if you put logic on its head.

===
Umm. Parents jailed for not vaccinating their kids.

http://www.szone.us/forums/f20/paren...ing-kids-3360/

Old March 15th 08, 02:33 AM posted to misc.health.alternative,misc.kids.health,misc.kids,misc.headlines,talk.politics.medicine
Jeff

Jan Drew wrote:
[...]

No. It is about your false claims that the courts ruled that vaccines
caused autism. Instead the Department of Health and Human Services ruled
that in a case before the vaccine court that the case, under the law,
met the criteria for paying the claim and that a mitochondrial problem
was aggravated by vaccines causing an encephalopathy.

It has been pointed out several times that this the courts did not rule
that the child had autism caused by vaccines, but you continue to spread
this lie.

How sad that you have to lie.

Jeff
Old March 16th 08, 02:18 AM posted to misc.health.alternative,misc.kids.health,misc.kids,misc.headlines,talk.politics.medicine
Jan Drew

Jan Drew wrote:
[...]

Well, Putz, that is a lie.

*I* made no claims.

that the courts ruled that vaccines
caused autism. Instead the Department of Health and Human Services ruled
that in a case before the vaccine court that the case, under the law, met
the criteria for paying the claim and that a mitochondrial problem was
aggravated by vaccines causing an encephalopathy.

It has been pointed out several times that this the courts did not rule
that the child had autism caused by vaccines, but you continue to spread
this lie.

How sad that you have to lie.

Jeff

I did not lie, you did..AGAIN!

Old March 16th 08, 04:35 AM posted to misc.health.alternative,misc.kids.health,misc.kids,misc.headlines,talk.politics.medicine
Skeptic

"Jan Drew" wrote in message
. net...
For the first time the court has conceded in a case that indicates that
vaccines can indeed cause autism," says John Gilmore, Autism United.

The courts let OJ walk free, too. Legal proceedings don't determine things
such as whether or not vaccinations cause certain diseases or conditions.
Medical science determines that. All actual evidence to date points to this
not being the case. We shall see if future studies yield different results,
but as of now, that's what we have.

Old March 16th 08, 06:22 AM posted to misc.health.alternative,misc.kids.health,misc.kids,misc.headlines,talk.politics.medicine
Peter Bowditch

"Skeptic" wrote:

"Jan Drew" wrote in message
.net...
For the first time the court has conceded in a case that indicates that
vaccines can indeed cause autism," says John Gilmore, Autism United.

The courts let OJ walk free, too. Legal proceedings don't determine things
such as whether or not vaccinations cause certain diseases or conditions.
Medical science determines that. All actual evidence to date points to this
not being the case. We shall see if future studies yield different results,
but as of now, that's what we have.

And, of course, despite Jan repeating Gilmore's lie several time. the
court did not concede that vaccines cause autism. How could it, when
the child in question is not autistic?

--
Peter Bowditch aa #2243
Australian Skeptics http://www.skeptics.com.au
To email me use my first name only at ratbags.com
Old March 16th 08, 02:30 PM posted to misc.health.alternative,misc.kids.health,misc.kids,misc.headlines,talk.politics.medicine
D. C. Sessions

In message ns1Dj.77681$yE1.48737@attbi_s21, Skeptic wrote:

The courts let OJ walk free, too. *Legal proceedings don't determine things
such as whether or not vaccinations cause certain diseases or conditions.
Medical science determines that. *All actual evidence to date points to this
not being the case. *We shall see if future studies yield different results,
but as of now, that's what we have.

Perhaps more to the point (since it's conceivable, however
remotely, that OJ is actually innocent): they have also
convicted people and sent them to death row only to later
have incontrovertible evidence of innocence turn up.

--
| The most important exclamation in science isn't "Eureka!" |
| The most important exclamation is "What the BLEEP?" |
Old March 16th 08, 06:33 PM posted to misc.health.alternative,misc.kids.health,misc.kids,misc.headlines,talk.politics.medicine
Jeff

Jan Drew wrote:
[...]

Who's Putz? Certainly not me. My name is Jeff. You're not going to the
kindergarten route of name-calling, are you?

Your claim that the court ruled that vaccines caused autism is incorrect
on two counts:

1) The court didn't rule anything. The Department of Health and Human
Services and the Department of Justice reached an agreement. While the
case was in court, there was not ruling by the court.

2) The determination made was that the vaccine aggravated a
mitochondrial disorder causing an encephopathy.

Your repeating these false claims after it has been pointed out that
they were false constitutes a lie.

*I* made no claims.

You quoted John Gilmore in response to me. That, in my book, is a claim.

that the courts ruled that vaccines
caused autism. Instead the Department of Health and Human Services
ruled that in a case before the vaccine court that the case, under the
law, met the criteria for paying the claim and that a mitochondrial
problem was aggravated by vaccines causing an encephalopathy.

It has been pointed out several times that this the courts did not
rule that the child had autism caused by vaccines, but you continue to
spread this lie.

How sad that you have to lie.

Jeff

I did not lie, you did..AGAIN!

Posting a quote of someone else that is demonstrably false after it is
pointed out is lying, in my book.

For the first time the court has conceded in a case that indicates that
vaccines can indeed cause autism," says John Gilmore, Autism United.

The court did not concede a thing because it did make a ruling. Further,
it the determination that was agreed to by the family and the Department
of Health and Human Services was that vaccines causes an encephopathy,
not autism.

Jeff

Autism Vaccine Decision Jan Drew General 38 March 17th 08 08:24 PM
Vaccine autism, chew on this [email protected] General 5 November 5th 07 04:26 AM
OBGYN Against ACIP HPV Vaccine Decision john Kids Health 3 September 15th 06 09:48 AM
Vaccine autism john Kids Health 37 December 8th 04 07:45 AM
Vaccine autism john Pregnancy 0 December 3rd 04 10:53 AM