Dentist uses Nitrous Oxide?

Old September 10th 03, 08:08 PM
Wendy Marsden

Default Dentist uses Nitrous Oxide?

My four year old finally, FINALLY got his dentist visit today, four months
after an x-ray showed a startling five cavities. Our dentist promptly
referred us to a pediatric dentist, saying she wasn't set up to do that
much work on a small kid. The pediatric dentist fit us in for an initial
exam and a teeth cleaning, but couldn't get us an appointment to treat him
until today.

Things started out fine, everyone was cheerful and no one was scared or
anxious. He got in the chair and was laughing and fine. But five minutes
into the nitrous oxide he suddenly started whimpering and curling up and
got clingy and weepy and scared. I wasn't able to figure out what was
causing the anxiety - I really think it was a reaction to the nitrous
oxide. The dentist just thought I had a wimpy boy that I babied - which
wouldn't be a crime if I did, but that doesn't happen to be the case.

The damn dentist threw us out. So much for pediatric dentists knowing
how to work with kids! He offered no solution beyond we'll try again on
Monday. Meanwhile, this dentist is a 45 minute drive from my home, he
isn't a preferred provider in my insurance plan and he thinks I've caused
my son's mouth problems through neglect (which just isn't true.)

The pediatric dentist was talking about scheduling an OR for sometime in
the winter (months and months from now) to do all four fillings at
once. I'm disinclined to put my kid through general anasthesia
again. (Long story, but probably related to why he has such weirdly
horrible teeth: he had a traumatic illness and hospitalization 15 months
ago.)

I'm thinking of finding a dentist that does NOT use nitrous oxide but who
will prescribe a valium before the visit. What do you think?

-- Wendy
Old September 10th 03, 08:20 PM
iphigenia

Wendy Marsden wrote:
The pediatric dentist was talking about scheduling an OR for sometime
in the winter (months and months from now) to do all four fillings at
once. I'm disinclined to put my kid through general anasthesia
again. (Long story, but probably related to why he has such weirdly
horrible teeth: he had a traumatic illness and hospitalization 15
months ago.)

I'm thinking of finding a dentist that does NOT use nitrous oxide but
who will prescribe a valium before the visit. What do you think?

Are you concerned about all forms of being knocked out? My pediodontist
gives chloral hydrate to kids over 3. Or maybe Versed would be an option.
The other thing to consider WRT general anesthesia is that this is a
different kid - 15 months makes a big difference in a small child's life -
and maybe you could talk to the anesthesiologist about the prior bad
experience, s/he could look at the medical records and maybe identify
something the previous anesthesiologist used that caused a bad reaction. But
of course if your instinct is telling you not to let him be put under, that
takes precedence.

--
iphigenia
www.tristyn.net

Old September 11th 03, 06:34 AM
toypup

"iphigenia" wrote in message
Wendy Marsden wrote:
The pediatric dentist was talking about scheduling an OR for sometime
in the winter (months and months from now) to do all four fillings at
once. I'm disinclined to put my kid through general anasthesia
again. (Long story, but probably related to why he has such weirdly
horrible teeth: he had a traumatic illness and hospitalization 15
months ago.)

I'm thinking of finding a dentist that does NOT use nitrous oxide but
who will prescribe a valium before the visit. What do you think?

Are you concerned about all forms of being knocked out? My pediodontist
gives chloral hydrate to kids over 3.

After a few deaths that occurred within a short span of time, Kaiser stopped
filling any prescriptions for children for chloral hydrate written by
dentists. (The deaths weren't Kaiser related, but Kaiser didn't want to be
involved in one, either.) That was a few years ago, but I'm sure their
policy still stands. I would never let my child be sedated with chloral
hydrate outside a hospital setting.

Old September 15th 03, 04:50 PM
Catherine Woodgold

Our pediatric dentist does most of the fillings on
our children's teeth with no anesthetic. He asks
them to tell him if it hurts. Apparently it doesn't
hurt!! I don't know how he does that. Maybe they're
small, surface fillings or something. My children
like going to the dentist, apparently because they
like getting the little prizes the dentist gives
them at the end of the session. The dentist also
talks to them in a respectful and friendly way,
which I'm sure helps a lot.

They also had some
local anesthetic for some more serious work --
similar to the anesthetic I've had at dentists'
offices: where they inject something into your
gums to "freeze" that part of your mouth.
My son also had nitrous oxide at a younger age
with an other dentist; I worry about long-term
effects; I don't think it's possible to prove
something is completely safe.

Someone I know said that when she had a general
anesthetic, she couldn't think clearly for 6 months
afterwards. (That's the kind where you go
unconscious.) I believe there's a significant
risk of death with the kind of anesthetic where
you go unconscious. One in a thousand or something?
Besides the doctor or dentist working on you,
there should be an anesthetist constantly monitoring
you until you regain consciousness.
--
Cathy
Old September 15th 03, 07:07 PM
Mary Elliott

Catherine Woodgold wrote:

Our pediatric dentist does most of the fillings on
our children's teeth with no anesthetic. He asks
them to tell him if it hurts. Apparently it doesn't
hurt!! I don't know how he does that. Maybe they're
small, surface fillings or something. My children
like going to the dentist, apparently because they
like getting the little prizes the dentist gives
them at the end of the session. The dentist also
talks to them in a respectful and friendly way,
which I'm sure helps a lot.

And your point is?

They also had some
local anesthetic for some more serious work --
similar to the anesthetic I've had at dentists'
offices: where they inject something into your
gums to "freeze" that part of your mouth.
My son also had nitrous oxide at a younger age
with an other dentist; I worry about long-term
effects; I don't think it's possible to prove
something is completely safe.

It's a gas. It has no long lasting consequences.

Someone I know said that when she had a general
anesthetic, she couldn't think clearly for 6 months
afterwards. (That's the kind where you go
unconscious.) I believe there's a significant
risk of death with the kind of anesthetic where
you go unconscious. One in a thousand or something?

Try more like 1 in 50,000.

Besides the doctor or dentist working on you,
there should be an anesthetist constantly monitoring
you until you regain consciousness.

You worry too damned much!
Old September 15th 03, 08:01 PM
wc

Mary Elliott wrote:

It's a gas. It has no long lasting consequences.

It does if not given with enough oxygen . . . another "anesthetist"
without a clue, aren't you Mary.

I believe there's a significant
risk of death with the kind of anesthetic where
you go unconscious. One in a thousand or something?

Try more like 1 in 50,000. ( Mary's reply . . . incorect )

Oh, it's much higher than that . . . I've been an anesthetist for
forty years, and never killed anybody.

Besides the doctor or dentist working on you,

there should be an anesthetist constantly monitoring
you until you regain consciousness.

You worry too damned much! ( Mary's reply . . . typical )

The writer above is 100 % correct. Dentisty being performed is a one
man or woman job. So is anesthesia. Trouble is, too many dentists do
both, and they have left a long trail of dead patients behind them. The
patient should be monitored by a qualified and licensed anesthetist, not
the office assistant.

Will, crna

Old September 15th 03, 08:47 PM
madiba

Mary Elliott wrote:

My son also had nitrous oxide at a younger age
with an other dentist; I worry about long-term
effects; I don't think it's possible to prove
something is completely safe.

It's a gas. It has no long lasting consequences.

g Tell that to the folks that were gassed in Auschwitz..
Seriously, thats a bit too simplistic. I think NiOx doesn't do much harm
shortterm, pump the kid full of vit B12 and folic acid (in most multivit
tabs) after the visit to get him back in shape.
Longterm (abuse) can lead to myeloneuropathy..

--
madiba
Old September 15th 03, 10:57 PM
Mxsmanic

Mary Elliott writes:

Besides the doctor or dentist working on you,
there should be an anesthetist constantly monitoring
you until you regain consciousness.

You worry too damned much!

Not at all. Any type of general anesthesia requires at least a heart
and blood-pressure monitor, and constant surveillance, plus equipment
for emergency resuscitation if required. Careless use of central
anesthetics like nitrous oxide is quite hazardous.

Old September 16th 03, 12:38 PM
Joel M. Eichen D.D.S.

I have tried giving prizes to adult patients but it did not work!

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 14:07:06 -0400, Mary Elliott wrote:

Catherine Woodgold wrote:

[...]

Philadelphia PA

STANDARD DISCLAIMER applies:
You fill it in