retin-A and stretch marks question

Old September 8th 03, 06:18 PM
Dagny

Default retin-A and stretch marks question

Anybody know if it is considered safe to use Retin-A at the very end of
pregnancy?

I have read that it works well on stretch marks particularly when they are
still red, earlier the better.

I am not vain enough to do anything that might realistically harm my child
so that I can look better, but my impression is that the Vitimin
A-derivitive problem relates to early development. Anybody know for sure?

Thanks,
Dagny
EDD 10/6/03

Old September 8th 03, 08:04 PM
toypup

ink.net...

Look here http://www.otispregnancy.org/pdf/retin_a.pdf

Old September 9th 03, 02:57 PM
Dagny

"Richard" wrote in message

I am not aware of any research that shows that Retin-A (or anything else,

for
that matter) is effective in diminishing stretch marks. Can you cite a

study
for me?

Google [retin-A "stretch marks" red] and you'll find pages claiming there is
a study showing it works on stretch marks when they are still red. If you
find a link to the actual study please post it!

Old September 9th 03, 03:58 PM
Ilse Witch

Dagny wrote:
Anybody know if it is considered safe to use Retin-A at the very end of
pregnancy?

I have read that it works well on stretch marks particularly when they are
still red, earlier the better.

I am not vain enough to do anything that might realistically harm my child
so that I can look better, but my impression is that the Vitimin
A-derivitive problem relates to early development. Anybody know for sure?

Having loads of stretch marks: there is no cream that really works
with them, since they are part of the lower regions of the skin
that are not reached by putting creams or lotions on the surface.
There are many expensive body creams that claim they can, but it
seems stretch marks are more a genetic thing. My mum has them, I
have them. If you want to put anything on them, olive oil is as
good as anything else and lots cheaper.

They disappear over time, they really do, but not completely. I
wear them proudly, as a sign that I am a mother and have carried
a child to full term. I am proud of them, they are a natural part
of my body.

--
-- I
mommy to DS (14m)

Old September 9th 03, 04:58 PM
The Huwe Family

Default retin-A and stretch marks question (My question)

I seem to have two kinds of stretch marks, the red ones, and then I have
some big white ones on my lower belly. It almost makes me think of blood
vessels right under my skin. (Like body builders and their veins popping out
of their arms). I've never seen these white ones before they appeared on
me, they are quite unsightly. comments?

Gayle

ink.net...

Old September 9th 03, 05:08 PM
Fer

Dagny wrote:
|| "Richard" wrote in message
||| I am not aware of any research that shows that Retin-A (or anything
||| else, for that matter) is effective in diminishing stretch marks.
||| Can you cite a study for me?
|| Google [retin-A "stretch marks" red] and you'll find pages claiming
|| there is a study showing it works on stretch marks when they are
|| still red.

Reduces the redness or reduces the mark?

-
Curious
Jenn
WAHM
DS11
DD6
TTC#3

Old September 9th 03, 05:14 PM
SuperEeyore

Fer wrote:
Dagny wrote:
"Richard" wrote in message

I am not aware of any research that shows that Retin-A (or anything
else, for that matter) is effective in diminishing stretch marks.
Can you cite a study for me?

Google [retin-A "stretch marks" red] and you'll find pages claiming
there is a study showing it works on stretch marks when they are
still red.

Reduces the redness or reduces the mark?

Reduces the mark size wise if used during that color phase, once they turn
silver it's pretty useless.

Laurel

Old September 9th 03, 06:42 PM
Fer

SuperEeyore wrote:
|| Fer wrote:
||| Reduces the redness or reduces the mark?
|| Reduces the mark size wise if used during that color phase, once
|| they turn silver it's pretty useless.

Now could you explain that to me? How does it repair the torn tissue?

--
Cheers!
Jenn WAHM

Old September 9th 03, 07:22 PM
SuperEeyore

Fer wrote:
SuperEeyore wrote:
Fer wrote:

Reduces the redness or reduces the mark?

Reduces the mark size wise if used during that color phase, once
they turn silver it's pretty useless.

Now could you explain that to me? How does it repair the torn tissue?

Nope, I can't. I just remember the study claims from a few years back.
That used during the red and pink phases the size or the stretch mark is
reduced some (I can't remember how much "some" is) and that the study showed
when used on white or silver stretch marks it had no effect. Something to
the effect that red and pink stretch marks are usually more recent and
somewhat treatable.

Did I do it? Nope.
But I do remember when the study results came out. ButI never paid any
attention if the results were either disputed or whatever, I figured it was
considering not many people have heard of it.

Laurel

Old September 9th 03, 07:40 PM
SuperEeyore

SuperEeyore wrote:
Fer wrote:
SuperEeyore wrote:
Fer wrote:

[...]

http://intapp.medscape.com/px/medlin...tret ch+marks

Topical tretinoin 0.1% for pregnancy-related abdominal striae: an
open-label, multicenter, prospective study.
Adv Ther 2001 Jul-Aug;18(4):181-6 (ISSN: 0741-238X)
Rangel O; Arias I; Garcia E; Lopez-Padilla S
Gynecological-Obstetrics Clinic, ISSEMYM Hospital, Mexico City, Mexico.
In an open-label, multicenter, prospective study, 20 women applied tretinoin
(retinoic acid) cream 0.1% daily for 3 months to pregnancy-related stretch
marks in the abdominal area. Efficacy was evaluated by analysis of one
preselected target lesion, which was rated on a six-point scale (-1 = worse
to 4 = cleared). At week 12, significant global improvement was noted from
baseline in all stretch marks, and the target lesion decreased in length by
20% (P = .01). Erythema and scaling, the most common adverse events,
occurred in 11 patients, decreased in severity after the first month of
treatment, and were controlled with continued application of tretinoin and
petroleum jelly ointment. In this small study, topical application of
tretinoin significantly improved the clinical appearance of
pregnancy-related stretch marks.
Major Subject Heading(s)Minor Subject Heading(s)CAS Registry / EC Numbers
Connective Tissue Diseases [drug therapy]
Keratolytic Agents [administration & dosage]
Puerperal Disorders [drug therapy]
Tretinoin [administration & dosage]
Abdomen
Administration, Topical
Adult
Comparative Study
Female
Follow-Up Studies
Human
Prospective Studies
Skin [drug effects] [physiopathology]
Treatment Outcome
0 (Keratolytic Agents)
302-79-4 (Tretinoin)

Indexing Check Tags:
Language: English
MEDLINE Indexing Date: 200112
Publication Type: Owner: NLM; Status: Completed
Publication Type: Clinical Trial; Journal Article; Multicenter Study
PreMedline Identifier: 0011697021
Unique NLM Identifier: 21554335
Journal Code: T