Self-Esteem, Permissiveness, And The Ruination Of The Young

Old February 27th 07, 04:01 PM posted to balt.general,alt.education,alt.society.liberalism,misc.kids
Way Back Jack

Default Self-Esteem, Permissiveness, And The Ruination Of The Young

Another fruit of liberalism, and society is again bitten in the ass.
______________

Study: College Students More Narcissistic

Feb 27, 12:32 AM (ET)

By DAVID CRARY

NEW YORK (AP) - Today's college students are more narcissistic and
self-centered than their predecessors, according to a comprehensive
new study by five psychologists who worry that the trend could be
harmful to personal relationships and American society.

"We need to stop endlessly repeating 'You're special' and having
children repeat that back," said the study's lead author, Professor
Jean Twenge of San Diego State University. "Kids are self-centered
enough already."

Twenge and her colleagues, in findings to be presented at a workshop
Tuesday in San Diego on the generation gap, examined the responses of
16,475 college students nationwide who completed an evaluation called
the Narcissistic Personality Inventory between 1982 and 2006.

The standardized inventory, known as the NPI, asks for responses to
such statements as "If I ruled the world, it would be a better
place,""I think I am a special person" and "I can live my life any way
I want to."

The researchers describe their study as the largest ever of its type
and say students' NPI scores have risen steadily since the current
test was introduced in 1982. By 2006, they said, two-thirds of the
students had above-average scores, 30 percent more than in 1982.

Narcissism can have benefits, said study co-author W. Keith Campbell
of the University of Georgia, suggesting it could be useful in meeting
new people "or auditioning on 'American Idol.'"

"Unfortunately, narcissism can also have very negative consequences
for society, including the breakdown of close relationships with
others," he said.

The study asserts that narcissists "are more likely to have romantic
relationships that are short-lived, at risk for infidelity, lack
emotional warmth, and to exhibit game-playing, dishonesty, and
over-controlling and violent behaviors."

Twenge, the author of "Generation Me: Why Today's Young Americans Are
More Confident, Assertive, Entitled - and More Miserable Than Ever
Before," said narcissists tend to lack empathy, react aggressively to
criticism and favor self-promotion over helping others.

The researchers traced the phenomenon back to what they called the
"self-esteem movement" that emerged in the 1980s, asserting that the
effort to build self-confidence had gone too far.

As an example, Twenge cited a song commonly sung to the tune of "Frere
Jacques" in preschool: "I am special, I am special. Look at me."

"Current technology fuels the increase in narcissism," Twenge said.
"By its very name, MySpace encourages attention-seeking, as does
YouTube."

Some analysts have commended today's young people for increased
commitment to volunteer work. But Twenge viewed even this phenomenon
skeptically, noting that many high schools require community service
and many youths feel pressure to list such endeavors on college
applications.

Campbell said the narcissism upsurge seemed so pronounced that he was
unsure if there were obvious remedies.

"Permissiveness seems to be a component," he said. "A potential
antidote would be more authoritative parenting. Less indulgence might
be called for."

The new report follows a study released by UCLA last month which found
that nearly three-quarters of the freshmen it surveyed thought it was
important to be "very well-off financially." That compared with 62.5
percent who said the same in 1980 and 42 percent in 1966.

Yet students, while acknowledging some legitimacy to such findings,
don't necessarily accept negative generalizations about their
generation.

Hanady Kader, a University of Washington senior, said she worked
unpaid last summer helping resettle refugees and considers many of her
peers to be civic-minded. But she is dismayed by the competitiveness
of some students who seem prematurely focused on career status.

"We're encouraged a lot to be individuals and go out there and do what
you want, and nobody should stand in your way," Kader said. "I can see
goals and ambitions getting in the way of other things like
relationships."

Kari Dalane, a University of Vermont sophomore, says most of her
contemporaries are politically active and not overly self-centered.

"People are worried about themselves - but in the sense of where are
they're going to find a place in the world," she said. "People want to
look their best, have a good time, but it doesn't mean they're not
concerned about the rest of the world."

Besides, some of the responses on the narcissism test might not be
worrisome, Dalane said. "It would be more depressing if people
answered, 'No, I'm not special.'"

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20070227/D8NHS51O0.html

Old February 28th 07, 09:58 AM posted to misc.kids
Chookie

In article ,
(Way Back Jack) wrote:

Study: College Students More Narcissistic

Feb 27, 12:32 AM (ET)

By DAVID CRARY

Twenge, the author of "Generation Me: Why Today's Young Americans Are
More Confident, Assertive, Entitled - and More Miserable Than Ever
Before," said narcissists tend to lack empathy, react aggressively to
criticism and favor self-promotion over helping others.

The researchers traced the phenomenon back to what they called the
"self-esteem movement" that emerged in the 1980s, asserting that the
effort to build self-confidence had gone too far.

As an example, Twenge cited a song commonly sung to the tune of "Frere
Jacques" in preschool: "I am special, I am special. Look at me."

vomits

But (assuming that the researchers are correct) I think something was very
wrong in someone's view of self-esteem. Self-esteem doesn't need constant
propping-up by stupid songs. (And the "Every day and in every way, I"m
getting better and better" ritual in front of hte mirror is a lot older than
the 1980s!)

Besides, some of the responses on the narcissism test might not be
worrisome, Dalane said. "It would be more depressing if people
answered, 'No, I'm not special.'"

Except in Australia ;-)

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia