Holy Cow! It Worked!

Old November 25th 03, 12:29 AM
Usenet Fan

Default Holy Cow! It Worked!

I'm doing a happy dance this afternoon because I'm officially on
maternity leave as of today, and we had our external version this
morning and it worked!

I'm exactly 38 weeks today, and this was our window of opportunity.
We started with an extensive ultrasound that told us that baby's head
was right under my sternum, butt was down but not engaged, and hands
and feet were all around baby's face. Cord looked good, we have lots
of fluid and placenta wasn't in the way. So all factors looked
favorable.

I got the IV with the hydrating solution, and some monitoring to make
sure baby was OK going into the procedure. Heart rate was nice and
strong, and I'm not having any contractions. Got the dose of
terbutaline, with the warning that I'd feel like I had a couple of
Starbucks double shots of caffeine. I didn't have any jitters that
felt like that, but got incredible shivers that lasted maybe five
minutes.

Tummy got all lubed up with ultrasound jelly and the OB and Resident
said they usually give it three attempts, and then stop. Failure
would mean a scheduled c-section (assuming no fetal distress.) Fetal
distress would mean an immediate c-section, success OR failure.

The first try got baby over a bit, but they lost grip on the head and
butt. Second attempt got baby to transverse, and they stopped to
check the heartbeat (which was great) but baby popped right back to
head up. For the third try I told them I was fine and to just dig
right in. They gripped that head and butt and moved the kid right
over and down. Yay!

I had to spend two hours on the monitor to make sure there were no
contractions and no fetal heart decelerations. I tried to nap, but
really I was just bored and ravenously hungry, as I wasn't allowed to
eat past midnight last night.

It wasn't as easy as the version I saw in a film at birthing prep
class. But I did just fine and this was so much more preferable that
a c-section! They asked me if I wanted to induce today since it was
guaranteed that baby was down, but induction was never my plan anyway.
And a cervix check showed 50% effacement but zero centimeters. I
don't want to go down the pitocin path at 38 weeks just because I was
already there at the hospital.

I think the OB expected the version followed by induction to be
today's course. My midwife said the choice was completely mine, and
was clearly and visibly happy and relieved that I chose not to do it.
I'd rather wait here at home for labor to start on it's own. If baby
flips back to head up, then we'll deal with that scenario if/when it
happens.

Three cheers for my stubborn baby accepting the shove and turning!

Thanks to Liz (and the others) who sent version success vibes. And to
Christa, who posted just today about breech. Give it some time, as 34
weeks is when we first discovered our breech and had some time to see
if it resolved on its own. Go to that gentlebirth website and check
out all the options. We tried most of them and it didn't work for us,
but I have a particularly stubborn kid, apparently. And go for the
version if your situation gets to that point. I'd have felt like I
hadn't done enough to avoid a c-section if I'd have skipped this
procedure.

Robin
#1 EDD early December 2003
And finally HEAD DOWN!!!!
Old November 25th 03, 01:36 AM
Ericka Kammerer

Usenet Fan wrote:

It wasn't as easy as the version I saw in a film at birthing prep
class. But I did just fine and this was so much more preferable that
a c-section!

Yay! Glad it worked! Yours sounded significantly more
difficult than mine too, but it's wonderful that it worked for
you. Here's hoping baby *stays* head down and that you have
a lovely labor and birth.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old November 25th 03, 12:16 PM
Liz S. Reynolds

In article ,
Usenet Fan wrote:
I'm doing a happy dance this afternoon because I'm officially on
maternity leave as of today, and we had our external version this
morning and it worked!

Isn't it just so astonishing after all those weeks of coaxing and worrying?
I don't know about you but I felt a lot more comfortable with that hard
head finally somewhere else, I was getting a sore spot where it was usually
poking me.

I started my leave the day we had the version too, another reason I didn't
want to be induced since I was tired from working till the day before and
being too excited to sleep. Not to mention starving. Didn't seem like I'd
be able to give it my best shot under those circumstances.

Had a checkup Monday, no progress since Friday, but position is still
good. Now I get to veg at home for a bit and do a little nesting.

Here's hoping both our luck holds for the birth!

-Liz