May not be related to pregnancy........

Old December 22nd 03, 03:45 PM
SMK

Default May not be related to pregnancy........

Hi all,
I have a totally unrelated question.
We are looking to move to Maryland and i would like some inputs from you
guys as to school districts, cost of living and safety when comparing
Montgomery, Howard and Ann Arundel counties. Thanks for any info.

--
Vidya
mom to Vandu(4)

Old December 22nd 03, 04:31 PM
Ilse Witch

On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 10:45:16 -0500, SMK wrote:

We are looking to move to Maryland and i would like some inputs from you
guys as to school districts, cost of living and safety when comparing
Montgomery, Howard and Ann Arundel counties. Thanks for any info.

I don't know about these counties, as I live in the city. We were in
Howard county only for a brief period, not long enough to get a good idea
about these things. But I can highly recommend the Baltimore Birth Center
if you plan to move before you give birth.

--
-- I
mommy to DS (17m)

Old December 22nd 03, 07:23 PM
SMK

Ilse Witch wrote:

On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 10:45:16 -0500, SMK wrote:

We are looking to move to Maryland and i would like some inputs from you
guys as to school districts, cost of living and safety when comparing
Montgomery, Howard and Ann Arundel counties. Thanks for any info.

I don't know about these counties, as I live in the city. We were in
Howard county only for a brief period, not long enough to get a good idea
about these things. But I can highly recommend the Baltimore Birth Center
if you plan to move before you give birth.

How far is it from Columbia? We were thinking of Columbia or Laurel. Do
you know any hospitals close to these cities?

--
Vidya
mom to Vandu(4)

Old December 22nd 03, 08:33 PM
Ilse Witch

On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 14:23:46 -0500, SMK wrote:

How far is it from Columbia? We were thinking of Columbia or Laurel. Do
you know any hospitals close to these cities?

The birth center is in the northwestern part of Baltimore, from Columbia
it would be a ride of 30-40 minutes, depending on trafic. It is the only
stand-alone birth center in Maryland, afaik. It's not very fancy-looking,
but I liked the very relaxed approach they have, low-intervention, very to
the point and open minded towards well educated patients (i.e. birth and
pregnancy related). I always had the feeling they took me serious, which I
found a big relief compared to my OB/GYN experience.

I don't think Laurel has a hospital, but I may be grossly mistaken, as
I've only passed through it once or twice. I have seen a physician once in
Columbia, but there are a lot of health care providers around that area. I
know zip about hospitals there though. We shopped for apartments in
Columbia, and it was very expensive there, because of the ideal location
between the two major cities (which is why we live way up north now).
Because of the BWI airport routes there is hardly any spot in Columbia
where you do not hear airplanes, but besides that it has a really nice
atmosphere and lots of suburbs with plenty of space. It also has a lot of
infrastructure (meaning schools, shops, health care, etc.) and a nice
shopping mall.

Old December 22nd 03, 11:54 PM
ModernMiko

"SMK" wrote in message ...
Hi all,
I have a totally unrelated question.
We are looking to move to Maryland and i would like some inputs from you
guys as to school districts, cost of living and safety when comparing
Montgomery, Howard and Ann Arundel counties. Thanks for any info.

--
Vidya
mom to Vandu(4)
EDD May 6th '04

Vidya,
Email me if you want some details. I lived in Columbia and Elkridge (Howard
Co), in parts of Montgomery Co long ago (and my s-i-l still lives there),
and I used to work and still have friends who live in Anne Arundel Co. Have
you considered the Eastern Shore? I love it over here.

--
Jenn
Kevin DS 06/26/98

--
Leader of the Cult of Worshippers of BiPolar Long-Haired Sexy Anime Guys
with Swords

Old December 22nd 03, 11:58 PM
ModernMiko

"Ilse Witch" wrote in message
news
[...]

There is a hospital in Columbia as well as one in Laurel. Having had
relatives in both of these, I don't highly recommend either although Howard
Co General (in Columbia) is better than the other in Laurel (the name of
which escapes me now but it is on Contee Rd). I do highly recommend Anne
Arundel Medical Center in Annapolis

--
Jenn
Kevin DS 06/26/98

Old December 24th 03, 02:26 PM
SMK

Ilse Witch wrote:

[...]

We will look into the different hospitals ans birthing centers when we
get there soon. I also need to looks for OBGYNs!
We are looking for a place between DC and Baltimore as he works closer
to the former and I have prospects in both areas for a job. If hearing
airplanes is the only problem and the suburbs are safe and there are
good schools we probably will pick Columbia. We are moving temporarily
into an apartment, but will be looking for homes soon.

--
Vidya
mom to Vandu(4)

Old December 24th 03, 04:28 PM
Ilse Witch

On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 09:26:06 -0500, SMK wrote:

We will look into the different hospitals ans birthing centers when we
get there soon. I also need to looks for OBGYNs!

When are you moving here, if you don't mind me asking?

We are looking for a place between DC and Baltimore as he works closer
to the former and I have prospects in both areas for a job. If hearing
airplanes is the only problem and the suburbs are safe and there are
good schools we probably will pick Columbia. We are moving temporarily
into an apartment, but will be looking for homes soon.

I see. We were never very much bothered by the airplanes when we lived in
Elkridge (even closer to the airport). I actually thought it was quite fun
and DS love to watch them too.

BTW: how are you doing now? You should be firmly in your second trimester
by now. With DS that was by far my best time, especially once I started to
show and people became very considerate. I hope you are well!

Old December 24th 03, 06:02 PM
SMK

Ilse Witch wrote:

On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 09:26:06 -0500, SMK wrote:

We will look into the different hospitals ans birthing centers when we
get there soon. I also need to looks for OBGYNs!

When are you moving here, if you don't mind me asking?

We are thinking middle of jan.

We are looking for a place between DC and Baltimore as he works closer
to the former and I have prospects in both areas for a job. If hearing
airplanes is the only problem and the suburbs are safe and there are
good schools we probably will pick Columbia. We are moving temporarily
into an apartment, but will be looking for homes soon.

I see. We were never very much bothered by the airplanes when we lived in
Elkridge (even closer to the airport). I actually thought it was quite fun
and DS love to watch them too.

BTW: how are you doing now? You should be firmly in your second trimester
by now. With DS that was by far my best time, especially once I started to
show and people became very considerate. I hope you are well!

I am doing great! Very much in the second trim. But for som e heartburn
and a little bit of nausea(morning), I am doing great! I have more
energy and spirit and am thoroughly enjoying myself. I am slightly
nervous about the move, buying a home, settling in, finding a doctor
etc! So much work to do!
Thank you so much for checking :-)

--
Vidya
mom to Vandu(4)

Old December 24th 03, 08:04 PM
Ilse Witch

On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 13:02:59 -0500, SMK wrote:

I am doing great! Very much in the second trim. But for som e heartburn
and a little bit of nausea(morning), I am doing great! I have more
energy and spirit and am thoroughly enjoying myself. I am slightly
nervous about the move, buying a home, settling in, finding a doctor
etc! So much work to do!

If anything, the second trimester is the best to do big things like that,
so I am sure you will be fine! Take it one step at a time and make sure
you get rest when you need it. I am glad to hear you are feeling so well
after the whole spotting scare. Have a happy holidays!