a pospartum question

Old December 22nd 03, 09:06 PM
mom2fallbabies

Default a pospartum question

I had Madeline 7 wks ago, vag delivery, 2nd degree episiotomy. The
lochia had slowed to a barely detectable brownish dishcharge, like the
end of a period at 4 weeks. It was still there at the 6 wk check up,
which the dr said was normal.

During the exam she said my cervix looked normal, but ended up pulling
a hunk of stuff out of me. (sorry TMI) She said it could be either
mucus or part of the membrane surrounding the placenta. The exam was
painless.

Right after the exam, I had more lochia or whatever coming out. It is
more like light AF instead of just discharge. I doubt it is AF since
she said that usually happens about 8 weeks after the end of
lactation. I pumped for 2 weeks postpartum. I really feel it has
something to do with what the dr did during the exam.

She pronounced me fine... said I had "survived" in a joking manner.
But a week later I still have this increased amount of stuff coming
out. Is this worth a call to the office? It is not an alarming amount
or anything.

Amanda, mom to Aaron 3 yrs and
Madeline 7 weeks
Old December 22nd 03, 10:15 PM
Cheryl M. \(ChatBrat\)

I had lochia until sometime in the 8th week beyond having J by c-section
last November. It kept getting to the point where I'd think it was gone
then it would start up again.

I'd say if there's no abnormal amount, just wait it out. Obviously, get it
checked if the amount suddenly increases or goes beyond where you should...
but from what I've been told, 8-10 weeks is well within the norm.

theother Cheryl

om...

Old December 22nd 03, 10:29 PM
JoFromOz

If it was a chunk of membrane, then the increased lochia is normal. Your
uterus is able to contract down more now because there is nothing left
inside, and is pushing some more blood out at the same time.

Is it fresh blood or old? Clotty?

Sounds fairly normal to me - just watch for signs of infection - a bit of
membrane hanging half in and half out for however long is inviting bugs!

Jo

Babies are Born... Pizzas are delivered.

Old December 23rd 03, 11:13 AM
Welches

mom2fallbabies wrote in message
om...
I had Madeline 7 wks ago, vag delivery, 2nd degree episiotomy. The
lochia had slowed to a barely detectable brownish dishcharge, like the
end of a period at 4 weeks. It was still there at the 6 wk check up,
which the dr said was normal.

During the exam she said my cervix looked normal, but ended up pulling
a hunk of stuff out of me. (sorry TMI) She said it could be either
mucus or part of the membrane surrounding the placenta. The exam was
painless.

An internal that was painless? I didn't know they existed... (I asked for an
epidural for my last smear-no, the nurse didn't give me one!)
Right after the exam, I had more lochia or whatever coming out. It is
more like light AF instead of just discharge. I doubt it is AF since
she said that usually happens about 8 weeks after the end of
lactation. I pumped for 2 weeks postpartum. I really feel it has
something to do with what the dr did during the exam.

She pronounced me fine... said I had "survived" in a joking manner.
But a week later I still have this increased amount of stuff coming
out. Is this worth a call to the office? It is not an alarming amount
or anything.

I found this time that I didn't have as much bleeding as last time, which is
logical because last time I had an epesiotomy, and this time had a very
small tear, which didn't need stitches (smug grin, in the fashion of Tony
Blair). But I did find that the lochia would stop for a few days and, just
as I was thinking about giving up pads... I'd get a day with a certain
amount of brown stuff again. Although my lochia had basically stopped at 10
days, I still had days where it came up to 6 weeks. When it did come then it
was "quite" a bit.
You sound fine to me, but you might like to put a call through to relieve
your mind, rather than decide on Christmas day that you wish you had
checked, and the dr. is closed!
Debbie
(who managed to get away with no internals this pregnancy/labour and is VERY
pleased about it!)

Old December 23rd 03, 09:56 PM
mom2fallbabies

"JoFromOz" wrote in message ...
If it was a chunk of membrane, then the increased lochia is normal. Your
uterus is able to contract down more now because there is nothing left
inside, and is pushing some more blood out at the same time.

Is it fresh blood or old? Clotty?

Sounds fairly normal to me - just watch for signs of infection - a bit of
membrane hanging half in and half out for however long is inviting bugs!

Thanks for the explanation, Jo.

It is now back to just a little bit of brown discharge, even less than
before the exam. I am so ready to give up pads and pantyliners!
--

Amanda

Kids should work... bobb General 108 December 15th 03 03:23 PM
And again he strikes........ Doan strikes ...... again! was Kids should work... Kane General 2 December 6th 03 03:28 AM
Intro, and Toddler/Daycare Question Betty Woolf General 4 December 3rd 03 03:25 PM