Umbrella Strollers

Old April 9th 05, 01:32 PM
electroscopillan

Default Umbrella Strollers

I'm just curious if anyone knows of a brand/model of umbrella stroller that
has longer handles (to accomodate a taller person) than normal? Or even
whether or not such an object exists?

I currently have a more deluxe stroller with jumbo oversized tires (that
don't turn - great for winter, and jogging). It's too big to fit down the
aisle on buses, and it's a pain in my arse getting it up and down the stairs
to my loft.

I want to go as small and light as possible - like an umbrella stroller..
...but all of the ones I've tried at department stores cause me to trip, and
I have to stoop down a bit to reach the handles, (designed for the average
woman, I'd think. While I'm 6' even).

I have some back problems, so this is important to me.. ..I'm thinking of
buying a $20 stroller and modifying it (have access to a welder), but would
rather not have to resort to that (as it wouldn't really be covered by
warranty at that stage, safety might be an issue, and besides what would
people think of me?

Anyone had to deal with this? Any suggestions/information would be greatly
appreciated.. ..I'm getting really sick of this beast of a stroller.. ..it's
so unnecessary now that it's warm out (and no snow to roll over).

Old April 9th 05, 06:28 PM
Laura Faussone

electroscopillan wrote:

I'm just curious if anyone knows of a brand/model of umbrella stroller that
has longer handles (to accomodate a taller person) than normal? Or even
whether or not such an object exists?

I've seen extender handles that you attach to the stroller, no welding needed
:-), at www.onestepahead.com

Laura

Old April 9th 05, 06:30 PM
Peggy

"electroscopillan" wrote in message
[...]

Handle extensions:
http://amos.shop.com/amos/cc/main/cc.../adtg/04080523
~Peggy

Old April 9th 05, 06:42 PM
Peggy

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l... le+extensions

Old April 9th 05, 09:30 PM
Robyn Kozierok

In article ,
electroscopillan wrote:
I want to go as small and light as possible - like an umbrella stroller..
..but all of the ones I've tried at department stores cause me to trip, and
I have to stoop down a bit to reach the handles, (designed for the average
woman, I'd think. While I'm 6' even).

As others have mentioned, handle extensions are available. However, I
wanted to point out that an umbrella stroller is not much fun to use even
when it fits. They generally have little to no storage, don't steer
well, and are sometimes even hard to keep pushing straight! We bought
one, not bottom-of-the-line (it had a sun cover and a small basket
underneath) for a trip we took last summer, and while I don't regret
the purchase, we always opted to use our larger, heavier stroller again
once we got back home. As you know, it's not a big investment, and it's
not a bad thing to have around for times when space and/or weight are
truly limited, but, well, don't get your hopes up too much about how great
things will be when you have a smaller, lighter, stroller

Take care,
--Robyn

Old April 10th 05, 12:41 AM
electroscopillan

"Robyn Kozierok" wrote

As others have mentioned, handle extensions are available.

Yes, and thanks to all for directing me.. =) I'm trying to figure out my
best option now.

However, I
wanted to point out that an umbrella stroller is not much fun to use even
when it fits. They generally have little to no storage, don't steer
well, and are sometimes even hard to keep pushing straight!

snip
don't get your hopes up too much about how great
things will be when you have a smaller, lighter, stroller

Oh believe me, I know they are cantakerous little toys.. ..I just want
something to help with the commute to daycare.. ..I have a bus stop right
across the street from my place, and it goes to the daycare. Need something
that requires less energy to go up and down the 1.5 flights of stairs and
through the (really tight, double doors that overlap and are overtensioned)
entrance-way to my loft. The larger stroller is such a royal pain in tha
ass to heft up and down every day (it's actually easier to roll it up and
down the stairs, than the work of folding it up and attempting to carry it,
and my son, in one shot - and that is a lot of wasted energy and back-pain I
could do without, either way I do it.

As it is now, I often just walk with my son to and from the stops. ,
(without stroller - he's really good at holding my hand, and I pick him up
to cross the street). But when I pick him up from daycare, sometimes I
need to be able to walk around faster, cuz I'll miss the bus going back
depending on whether I get into a conversation with the workers or not.
Also would like to take him down to the river which is about 5 blocks from
the daycare or my home, and have a stroller that I can easily pick up to
carry around, if I want to let him run around in the grass and along the
dirt paths closer to the riverbank.

Anyway, I'm just babbling as I think out loud at this point.

Thanks for all of the replies! =)

Old April 10th 05, 12:57 PM
dkhedmo

I live in the San Francisco bay area and use public transit quite a bit,
on and off busses, trains, with a fair amount of walking in between,
often quick to catch a train on time, etc. And also like you, I have
excellent larger strollers, but needed something foldable and
lightweight enought to manage the child and stroller on and off public
transit and up and down lots of stairs.

I have a McClaren Daytripper which I bought probably 4 years ago and
have really given it some heavy use and it is still in quite good
condition. It weighs about 10lb and folds very easily with two light
taps with your foot and a push with one hand while you're hanging onto
the kid. I am able to carry it, a bag of stuff, and even sling a child
and/or manage a walking a child. Maclaren umbrellas run around $125, but
as the guy in the store put it, you could buy one of those or a bunch of
cheap ones that keep breaking down on you. I'm into the second child
with mine, so I find it well worth it.

I don't have your height issue though, just the opposite at 5'1". So
nothing to contribute there.

-Karen, mom to Henry almost 5 and William almost 1-

Old April 10th 05, 02:38 PM
Welches

"dkhedmo" wrote in message
ink.net...
[...]

Maclaren Technos have extendable handles. I love mine, I use buses and
trains most of th time and there's little to beat them. Fold/unfold easily
while holding the baby, and carrying a bag!! I can also carry it (with #2
age 17 months inside) up and down stairs, plus bags without difficulty. It
also goes quite reasonably on excalators if that's an issue.
Debbie

Old April 15th 05, 03:45 AM
Melania

electroscopillan wrote:
[...]

Jumping in late here, but I just wanted to say that we have a Maclaren
Daytripper that we love, and dh, who is 6'3", can push it around
comfortably. It steers beautifully (even one-handed), is quite sturdy,
and came with a rain cover and a basket which I've never used (I just
sling bags over the handles). It is good from 3 months of age, has a
5-point harness, has a sun shade, and once you know how to open and
close it can do that one-handed, too. It even fits the overhead
compartment on an airplane.

Seriously, I love my stroller!! I think it cost about US$130, but we've
been using it virtually every day for two years now, and it will be
used for #2 when #1 outgrows it.

It may have been discontinued, although some websites appear to still
be selling them.

Good luck!

Melania
Mom to Joffre (Jan 11, 2003)