Remeber the misc.kids photo album 1994?

Old April 19th 05, 08:48 PM
marieke

Default Remeber the misc.kids photo album 1994?

Hi everyone!
It's been awhile since I last entered this group. In fact it's been
ages. However I once was an active member of the misc.kids community.
Back in 1992 through 1995 roughly. Back then we joined forces and put
together a misc.kids photoalbum featuring the misc.kids active posters
and their kids of course. This was a hard copy afair, that was sent
out to particitants in the US and Europe. We didn't trust the internet
even back then.

Also there were bunch of misc.kids picknicks at various locations in
the States. Since I am in Europe and I didn't want to fly across the
Atlantic for a picknick I missed those unfortunately.

Well, I was wondering if any of the old 1994-yearbook people are still
out there? How about a little 1994-yearbook virtual reunion?

I'll start of by reintroducing my own kids: Ruben, now 12 and taller
than his dad. And Emma, 10yo who loves horse back riding more than
anything else. Well with the possible exception of here 3 guinee pigs.

Check your old yearbook to see us way back then!
Marieke

Old April 20th 05, 05:14 PM
Robyn Kozierok

In article ,
marieke wrote:

Well, I was wondering if any of the old 1994-yearbook people are still
out there? How about a little 1994-yearbook virtual reunion?

Yup, I was in the 94 and 95 yearbooks, back when I had one child. (Now
I have three boys, ages 11, 8 and 4.) I helped assemble one of them in
the Boston area as well; I think it was 1994.

Nice to hear from you again!

--Robyn

Old April 20th 05, 09:26 PM
Chris

I was in the 1994 and 1995 yearbooks--Evan was just a newborn in 1995.
I sometimes run across them on the shelf and look back to see where we
all were then! I think a lot of those folks are still around, mostly
lurking in the background. I've forgotten so much about nursing,
feeding, growing babies that I'm not much help to anyone anymore!

Chris

Old April 21st 05, 02:02 PM
marieke

Nice to hear from you again Chris and Robyn! I checked out your
entries in the 1994 yearbook. Did you get your PhD Robyn? I was
working on my PhD at the time, but never finished it. I now teach
building science at a college in Utrecht (Holland) Are you still
teching Chris?

I remember misc.kids back then as a warm community, sharing joy and
pain. Since I am new here now I haven't figured yet out if it is still
like that now.

Are there any activities like those we shared in '94 going on?

Old April 21st 05, 06:29 PM
DrLith

marieke wrote:
[...]

I think I was in the misc.kids 1995 yearbook; my first son Simon would
have probably just been born, my gosh! He is, of course, turning ten
soon, as tends to happen after about ten years. He's been joined by his
little sister, who's 7. I was away from Usenet for a few years in
Bolivia...(I did finish my PhD!) and when I came back the
signal-to-noise ratio seemed so much worse and that sense of community
was a lot weaker in misc.kids. I wound up hanging out in
alt.support.single-parents and alt.support.divorce (I can still be found
in ASD), which seemed to still have that sense of community.

I've lately started just skimming misc.kids and misc.kids.moderated, but
I don't really follow that closely. I have a hard time getting worked up
over baby/toddler questions, though I don't fault the people who ask
them. That stuff seems so . . . manageable . . . looking back. I'm not
sure where to begin, or how much use I would find, in opening up a
discussion on "what to do when you love a child but he's turned into a
creature that you don't really like?" It seems a lot more open ended
than "what baby sling is the best?"

Old April 23rd 05, 04:39 PM
Robyn Kozierok

In article ,
marieke wrote:

Nice to hear from you again Chris and Robyn! I checked out your
entries in the 1994 yearbook. Did you get your PhD Robyn? I was
working on my PhD at the time, but never finished it. I now teach
building science at a college in Utrecht (Holland) Are you still
teching Chris?

Nope, I never finished mine either. I discovered I could get the
research job I wanted without it, and it would "only" be 40 hours per
week (as opposed to a PhD program, which seemed to be pushing to fill
every moment of my life.) I still have that job, but now I telecommuts
20-30 hours per week, and I realy like that balance the best.

I remember misc.kids back then as a warm community, sharing joy and
pain. Since I am new here now I haven't figured yet out if it is still
like that now.

Are there any activities like those we shared in '94 going on?

People tend to be more private about what personal details they divulge
on the internet now, often not including children's names etc. The feel
is definitely different. I think there are still shared joy and pain here,
but the picnics etc. are more a thing of the past (or limited to smaller
mailing list communities).

--Robyn

..

Old April 23rd 05, 09:04 PM
marieke

Good for you, finishing you PhD. You must be right about the 1995
yearbook, I don't think you're in the 1994 one.

I agree with you about sort of loosing interest in baby and toddler
issues. No offence intended, it's just that my kids have reached a new
stage. Actually it took me a very long time to lose interest, far
beyond my kid's baby-years in fact.

New issues seem more important now. Such as my son's very early
puberty (his voice changed around his 12th birthday, and he's now the
tallest one in the family. Compared that to my 10yo daughter who is
very small and skinny for her age. Strange kids!

After quitting misc.kids in 1995 or so, I became active in a dutch
online community called ouders online (parents online). For awhile it
had a similar sense of community, and I actually encountered another
Dutch ex-misc.kids contributer there. Then that too, grew too large
and imperonal. I still read it sometimes, but choose to remain
anonymous and silent.

Old April 26th 05, 04:26 AM
Marion Baumgarten

The wunderkinder are now 16 and 13! I don't read misc.kids much- but I'm
still active in other online communities and do think of you all often.

Marion Betor Baumgarten

Old April 27th 05, 01:34 PM
animzmirot

Hi Marieke,

Nice to see you pop in for a visit!

I'm still around a bit, although I'd not consider myself a regular in any
misc.kids newsgroup anymore. My twins are now almost 13, one in 9th grade,
one in 7th. Weird to think of these babies in the misc.kids yearbooks (I
think we're in the first 3 ones) are now so grown up and 'mature'.

DS is totally into becoming a rock star. He's a huge Nirvana fan, and
listens to a lot of my old music from the 80's. He's very cool and way smart
and attends an elite private school about an hour north of our home. DD is a
fashion plate and is very interested in interior design, which is her goal
in life. She's in a public school and doing quite well despite some pretty
severe learning differences.

I no longer work (yahoo!) and relish being a SAHM at long last. I'll have
to pull out my yearbooks and look at your kids again. That is, if I can find
them....

Marjorie

om...