Sugar and Spice vs. Snakes and Snails

Old May 27th 04, 04:57 AM
Wendy

Default Sugar and Spice vs. Snakes and Snails

I am 14 weeks pregnant and eagerly awaiting my first ultrasound because
I can't wait to find out the sex of the baby. My two children will be 16
months apart as DS is currently 10 months old.
Just curious about what it's like raising boys vs. girls or both
together or just boys/girls. I am the eldest of three girls so I know
what it's like to grow up being very close to sisters. Are brothers
usually very close or brothers and sisters? I am wondering how having
another boy vs. having a girl will change family dynamics.

In some ways I am wishing for a girl but I wonder if DS would like a
brother better? I do have all the clothes.

Everything Nice? Puppy dog tails?

Wendy

Old May 27th 04, 05:48 AM
Alissa

"Wendy" wrote in message
I am 14 weeks pregnant and eagerly awaiting my first ultrasound because
I can't wait to find out the sex of the baby. My two children will be 16
months apart as DS is currently 10 months old.
Just curious about what it's like raising boys vs. girls or both
together or just boys/girls. I am the eldest of three girls so I know
what it's like to grow up being very close to sisters. Are brothers
usually very close or brothers and sisters? I am wondering how having
another boy vs. having a girl will change family dynamics.

In some ways I am wishing for a girl but I wonder if DS would like a
brother better? I do have all the clothes.

Everything Nice? Puppy dog tails?

Wendy

I have no idea.....I am an only child so just the thought of having

children with a sibling is new to me.
Alissa

Old May 27th 04, 05:54 AM
Nikki

Wendy wrote:

Are brothers
usually very close or brothers and sisters? I am wondering how having
another boy vs. having a girl will change family dynamics.

My boys are very close right now. I hope it lasts! Hunter was having a
lengthy conversation about buying a house when he grew up, for him and Luke.
When I explained that Luke would probably live in his own house he decided
he'd buy Luke the one next door, lol.

Dh has three brothers (3 yrs between each of them) and they are very close
as adults and always have been. He has two sisters that are much older
then him. There is family drama with one so he never talks to her and the
other keeps in touch with cards, phone calls, and we always see her when she
comes to visit their mom. She is 16yrs older then dh. Every one of them
lives in different towns.

I have one brother (12 months younger). We bickered constantly. We must
have drove my mother nuts ;-) There was one year I remember where we were
not close at all but other then that I'd consider us quite close as
kids/teens and reasonably close as adults. We live in different towns.

--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (5) and Luke (3)

Old May 27th 04, 01:01 PM
Sophie

I am 14 weeks pregnant and eagerly awaiting my first ultrasound because
I can't wait to find out the sex of the baby. My two children will be 16
months apart as DS is currently 10 months old.

My first 2 are 16 months apart - a girl and a boy.

Just curious about what it's like raising boys vs. girls or both
together or just boys/girls. I am the eldest of three girls so I know
what it's like to grow up being very close to sisters. Are brothers
usually very close or brothers and sisters? I am wondering how having
another boy vs. having a girl will change family dynamics.

In some ways I am wishing for a girl but I wonder if DS would like a
brother better? I do have all the clothes.

Everything Nice? Puppy dog tails?

Wendy

Gee I think personality has a lot more to do with it than gender. For a
long time they're just babies/toddlers and gender doesn't matter. Birth
order does IME.

My first 2 are like twins - must do everything together. If you ask her
about her little brothers she has no idea what you're talking about. As far
as she's concerned she only has one little brother (child #3 - almost 3.5
yrs younger than she is). #3 copies *everything* #2 does (they're 25 months
apart). #2 likes it, he does things he shouldn't just to see #3 do them and
get in trouble. They're me and my shadow for sure. I'd say #1 and #2 are
as close as #2 and #3. #1 loves #3 but he bugs her.

As for how boys are - my sons are much sweeter and more loving then my
daughter. I hear that from a lot of people who have both.

After having 2 boys in a row, *I'm* ready for some pink - lol.

Some people think everyone should want one of each. If you're only going to
have 2, I think 2 the same is probably nicer for the kids and maybe easier
for you.

Like Nikki, my kids talk about the future too. Charlotte is going to be a
mom of 10 kids. Patrick is going to fix their toys. Lewis is going to be
"weird old Uncle Lewis" - Patrick's words I swear

Sophie
#4 due July 7, 2004

Old May 27th 04, 02:28 PM
Leslie

My boys who are 12 months apart fight a lot but are very close. In groups they
will play with each other instead of the other kids there. They are 9 and 10
and have designed a house they are going to all live together when they are
grown up with their wives and children and lots of animals. I asked Teddy what
he would do if his wife didn't like living with Jake and he said he would kick
her out!

I agree with Sophie too that boys are sweeter and really love their mommies.

Leslie

Old May 27th 04, 02:48 PM
Kari

In my experience, my son and daughter are close but yet they bicker
constantly. The baby is still too young to see how brother/brother
interaction is going to be. My kids are spaced kind of far apart too, so
that may be why.

I grew up with a sister, 4 years younger than I am. We were close, but had
pretty intense sibling rivalry as well. We get along great now. Oh, and we
are total opposites. I love my role as SAHM, am just a homebody by nature.
She's a world traveller, taught overseas in Korea for a year, Poland, etc.
She's nearing the end of her schooling to get her PhD. The only things we
have in common are genetics and we're both totally opinionated ;P

As far as girls vs. boys, I prefer the boys. Dont get me wrong, I love my
girl and I actually am hoping that our 4th child is another daughter. But my
older son is my sweet, sensitive one. The baby is very laid back, happy and
cheerful. My daughter was the one who threw outrageous temper tantrums, has
a smart mouth, and doesn't give a darn about anyone but herself most of the
time. Of course, maybe it's the age (8) but I look back and see she's always
been very independent, confident and overly sure of herself. JUST like her
father, lol. Whereas Noah is exactly like me (and I love it

Kari
mom to 3

Old May 27th 04, 03:00 PM
Nikki

Sophie wrote:

Like Nikki, my kids talk about the future too. Charlotte is going to
be a mom of 10 kids. Patrick is going to fix their toys. Lewis is
going to be "weird old Uncle Lewis" - Patrick's words I swear

OMG, that is the funniest thing I've heard in a long time :-D. Having a
younger sibling will be the best thing to ever happen to Lewis, lol. He'll
get someone to be a big kid to.

--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (5) and Luke (3)

Old May 27th 04, 03:15 PM
Welches

Wendy wrote in message
I am 14 weeks pregnant and eagerly awaiting my first ultrasound because
I can't wait to find out the sex of the baby. My two children will be 16
months apart as DS is currently 10 months old.
Just curious about what it's like raising boys vs. girls or both
together or just boys/girls. I am the eldest of three girls so I know
what it's like to grow up being very close to sisters. Are brothers
usually very close or brothers and sisters? I am wondering how having
another boy vs. having a girl will change family dynamics.

In some ways I am wishing for a girl but I wonder if DS would like a
brother better? I do have all the clothes.

Everything Nice? Puppy dog tails?

If you're interested I know a family who has 1 girl, 3 years younger 1 boy,
then 18 months younger another boy. The boys fight like crazy and the older
2 get on beautifully.
I think it's personality rather than "brothers get on better" or "perfect"
age gaps, what one person swears makes "perfect siblings" is another
families nightmare!
You can't do anything about it anyway, so don't worry too much:-)
Debbie

Old May 27th 04, 07:52 PM
Circe

Sophie wrote:
Like Nikki, my kids talk about the future too. Charlotte is going
to be a mom of 10 kids. Patrick is going to fix their toys. Lewis
is going to be "weird old Uncle Lewis" - Patrick's words I swear

OMG, that is *so* hilarious.

Julian often wants to know who he is going to marry when he grows up and why
it can't be his sister. Given that they fight like cats and dogs half the
time (though the get along great the other half), I can't imagine why he'd
even *think* about marrying her, but he's not even 7yo yet, so I guess it's
not too suprising that he's unclear on the concept. Julian also wants a ton
of kids, so maybe he and Charlotte should get married g!

Aurora just says she is going to be a mommy; she hasn't ventured how many
kids yet. And neither of them seems to have given much thought to what
Vernon will be when he grows up. I expect they think he'll still be a pain
who wants their toys and won't take turns, even when he's 30.
--
Be well, Barbara
Mom to Sin (Vernon, 2), Misery (Aurora, 4), and the Rising Son (Julian, 6)

Aurora (in the bathroom with her dad)--"It looks like an elephant, Daddy."
Me (later)--"You should feel flattered."

Old May 28th 04, 12:40 AM
Catherine C.

"Sophie" wrote in message ...

Lewis is going to be

"weird old Uncle Lewis" - Patrick's words I swear

Just *too* funny and cute! ...C.