Baby names and NO idea

Old June 14th 07, 03:52 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
sharalyns

Default Baby names and NO idea

On Jun 13, 1:33 pm, "Jamie Clark" wrote:
Oh lord. I can see why you would all put a moritorium on names with the
same initials in your family. I'm sure your sibs would give you ultimate
grief from here to eternity if you named your next child Alice or Adam. : )
--

Jamie
Earth Angels:

Yeah, I'm having a really hard time with it now because I'm in love
with the name Amelia Ruth for a little girl.... *sigh*

Sharalyn
mom to Alexander James

Old June 14th 07, 04:07 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Jamie Clark

Well, in the end, if you can't find another name you love, use it, and your
siblings be damned! After all, it's your family, and you can name your kids
what you want. Having siblings have the same first initial isn't the worst
thing in the world, and it's not your fault that your parents took it to
extremes and made you all crazy!
--

Jamie
Earth Angels:

Guest
Password

"sharalyns" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Jun 13, 1:33 pm, "Jamie Clark" wrote:
Oh lord. I can see why you would all put a moritorium on names with the
same initials in your family. I'm sure your sibs would give you ultimate
grief from here to eternity if you named your next child Alice or Adam.
: )

Old June 14th 07, 04:20 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
[email protected]

On Jun 12, 10:28 pm, "beyond the pale"
wrote:

One name I have always liked for a girl is Kate. Simply Kate. Kate
not-short-for-anything, Kate is the full name. Problem is I can't make it
work as a first name, only as a middle name, and I prefer to name my kids
what they'll be called as there first name, for no logical reason, it's just
a thing I have. My brother goes by his middle and all his mail and listings
are in his first name. Seems simple to avoid that.

I honestly would NOT just name her Kate. Kate is a nickname, and it's
really best to avoid giving nick-names as given names. (If only
because people WILL assume that her 'real name' is Katherine. If you
like Kate, name her Katherine (or Katlyn) and call her Kate. It's not
really a problem in the sense that calling people by their middle
names can cause problems over time. (Everyone knows that Kate is
Katherine and Katherine is Kate, but people may not know that Susan is
Jane or Mary is Tabitha.)

And there are lots of middle names that go well with Katherine.
(Remember too that, by and large, people DON'T call other people by
their full names ... barring the times when you're screaming at "Kate
Matilda ... get your butt into the house right now!") so while it's
nice to have a name that 'flows well' with the first name, it really
isn't vital. If you're set on calling her Kate, I'd give a middle name
with 3 syllables, which usually works well with either one syllable
(Kate) or 2 (Kath'rin [the usual pronunciation ...] or any of the
other common nicknames (Katie, Kathy).

Beyond that, pick up some baby books (and check out babyname web
sites) and browse for a while. (We had the problem that there were
tooMANY names we liked ... fortunately, there were comparatively few
that both of us liked, so that narrowed it down considerably.)

Naomi
(Who ended up namingher daughter Shaina Elizabeth ... and if she'd
been a boy he would have been Nathan Jeremy.)

Naomi

Old June 14th 07, 07:02 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
sharalyns

On Jun 14, 8:07 am, "Jamie Clark" wrote:
Well, in the end, if you can't find another name you love, use it, and your
siblings be damned! After all, it's your family, and you can name your kids
what you want. Having siblings have the same first initial isn't the worst
thing in the world, and it's not your fault that your parents took it to
extremes and made you all crazy!
--

Jamie
Earth Angels:
Taylor Marlys -- 01/03/03
Addison Grace -- 09/30/04

LOL! I know. I'd still have to convince dh as he's decided that any
daughter of his will be Katheryn, Katrina, or Cassandra. I'm hoping
for another boy to be honest. ;-)

Sharalyn
mom to Alexander James

Old June 15th 07, 03:23 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
~Hunee~

What about Kaitlyn?
My DD is Kaitlyn Maree. I broke tradition with her name though, my 5 older
children's middle names all start with an 'L', they were all born at a
hospital with midwives and doctors.....Kaitlyn made her arrival on the
dining room floor assissted my none other than myself and hubby!
So she has my middle name.
:-)
Cheers
Trish

"The hand that rocks the cradle rules the world."
"beyond the pale" wrote in message
I don't have the time to dwell on this pregnancy like I did with #1 and
it's really obvious. I had names picked out the first week and all this
shopping to do and started working on the nursery. This time around, I
figure we'll wait until about 8.5 months and throw something together if we
even fix the room up before the birth- I saved all the baby gear so we have
the crib and swing etc. I saved clothing too a lot of which is unisex for
the first year..

Even worse though, I haven't a CLUE about names. I do think about it, but
I have not hit upon a name I really like for either gender and if I do
have something I'm partial to, I cannot come up with a nice middle name.
Ack. Has anyone else gone until the last minute and had no name?? I am far
from last minute- LOL. But I keep telling myself I won't think of names
until the last month or so.

I know what NOT to name. Any name that's in use by close relatives for
their kids, is a no go. And debatably, I try to stay away from names that
are exceedingly common around here, debatable because if we move it could
change. I try to stay away from names that I know too many of personally
as well.

One name I have always liked for a girl is Kate. Simply Kate. Kate
not-short-for-anything, Kate is the full name. Problem is I can't make it
work as a first name, only as a middle name, and I prefer to name my kids
what they'll be called as there first name, for no logical reason, it's
just a thing I have. My brother goes by his middle and all his mail and
listings are in his first name. Seems simple to avoid that.

So, Kate what? What Kate? I am out of ideas. Meredith Kate? Too clsoe to
Mary Kate.Someone suggested to me Katelyn Brooke, but I don't know...not
fond of Katelyn. If I did use, it would be Caitlyn. Or is it Caitlin? I
am growing fond of Caitlin/Caitlyn actually... what else goes well with
plain Kate though? Hannah Kate, I just don't know.

For a boy I have even less ideas as I don't have a name that I love like
Kate. Zachary?.....William....? Joshua? I can't come up with anything. All
the boy names I like are "taken" by family members. I like Thomas but it's
way taken. I like Benjamin, it's used by someone nearby and I would feel
awkward to name my kid that too. Same with Adam. It's actually used by two
people so it would be more awkward, otherwise I like Adam...grrr! It
really would feel awkward to name my kid something that someone related to
me or near me in some way has named their kid, you know? They took all the
good names, how could they do that to me? :P

LOl but really, I feel like if I have nothing else ready that's fine but
it's too bad not to have a name. This means I will surely go into labor
early and will not be prepared.

Old June 15th 07, 03:34 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
laurie

"beyond the pale" wrote in message
-

One name I have always liked for a girl is Kate. Simply Kate. Kate
not-short-for-anything, Kate is the full name. Problem is I can't make it
work as a first name, only as a middle name, and I prefer to name my kids
what they'll be called as there first name, for no logical reason, it's
just a thing I have. My brother goes by his middle and all his mail and
listings are in his first name. Seems simple to avoid that.

So, Kate what? What Kate? I am out of ideas. Meredith Kate? Too clsoe to
Mary Kate.Someone suggested to me Katelyn Brooke, but I don't know...not
fond of Katelyn. If I did use, it would be Caitlyn. Or is it Caitlin? I
am growing fond of Caitlin/Caitlyn actually... what else goes well with
plain Kate though? Hannah Kate, I just don't know.

I also love the name Kate, on it's own. I think it's a beautiful, strong,
confident name. There are so many great combinations you could come up
with- why use it for the middle name? Surely you could find a couple of
great names to use as a middle name for Kate. Kate Elizabeth? Kate
Alexandra? Kate Bernadette? Kate Julianna? Kate Margaret.........Kate
Georgianna........Kate Marie or Maria..............Kate Rebecca (I like that
one a lot)! ............I think it needs to be a strong, classic name.

For a boy I have even less ideas as I don't have a name that I love like
Kate. Zachary?.....William....? Joshua? I can't come up with anything. All
the boy names I like are "taken" by family members. I like Thomas but it's
way taken. I like Benjamin, it's used by someone nearby and I would feel
awkward to name my kid that too. Same with Adam.

In my experience (I live in MA), Zachary, William and Joshua are all very
popular. I know 3 little Williams! Benjamin is very nice- it was our 2nd
choice for our son.

Don't worry, you'll come up with something. I didn't go in to labor with my
son having no clues on a name, but he wasn't named for a few hours at least.
My niece wasn't named for 2 days.

laurie
mom to jessica (6) and christopher (4)

Old June 15th 07, 04:38 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
~Hunee~

"sharalyns" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jun 13, 10:48 am, "Jamie Clark" wrote:
"NL" wrote in message

sharalyns wrote:

My question is "Why 'S'?" As someone who grew up in a family of all
'S' names (including the pets), let me tell you, it was *highly*
annoying. I've sworn off giving any names to future children that are
duplicates of any current family members (so for next baby, A, G, J,
and S are completely out). Anyway, I just thought I 'd throw that out
there in case you hadn't thought of it. :-)

I grew up with a sibling who had the same first initial as I did, and it
never bothered me. His name is Jay. Both mom and dad had different
first
initials, and pets as well. So it was just a kid thing, and honestly, it
makes me smile and feels like a bonding thing. Jay and Jamie. I
actually
have an older sister that I met later on, and her name starts with an L.

Yeah, I think it was because the *whole* family was 'S' (plus pets).

Stephen
Shannon
Sharalyn
Scott
Seth
Stephanie
(and if there had been more, Spencer and Stacia)

Then you throw in the animals:
Spunky
Sugar
Sassy
Sylvester
Sandi
Smudgkin
Strawberry
Sugarbutton
Shoely
Smidgen
Sammy
Simonetta
and of course our plecostomus: Sucktoria

It got old *very* quickly despite my parents love for this....All
three kids still living have sworn we will not do this to our
children. :-) And we're pretty close for the most part.

Sharalyn
mom to Alexander James

I did the same thing but with the middle initial.
All L's bar the last one.

Old October 11th 11, 09:55 AM
fedricfort fedricfort is offline
Junior Member

I have some lovely baby names
- Justin
- Omari
- Zachary
- Asher.

Help With Baby Names! Blue Eyes Blue Pregnancy 10 April 22nd 13 10:11 AM
Great Baby Gift Idea Suzuki Pregnancy 0 August 22nd 04 05:36 PM
Baby Names Felicia-Y-Ruben... Baby - March 14 05 Pregnancy 2 July 28th 04 04:24 AM
Baby names Scott Pregnancy 0 June 18th 04 11:02 AM
Baby Names annafine Pregnancy 20 September 3rd 03 09:36 PM