How early (what is the earliest age) would you travel with a baby?

Old January 1st 06, 09:18 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

Default How early (what is the earliest age) would you travel with a baby?

When travel = 15-18 hours travel time, minimum 3 flights and 7 hour
time diffference?

Assuming of course the trip would not be planned until after the baby
is born, but this wouldn't be a holiday/pleasure trip but a familial
obligation.

Old January 1st 06, 09:45 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

Assuming of course the trip would not be planned until after the baby
is born, but this wouldn't be a holiday/pleasure trip but a familial
obligation.

not quite sure what you want me to say, as it is an obligation, I'd be
thinking as soon as you've recovered from the birth, to be honest babies are
easier the younger they are when flying as they are much more likely to
sleep for significant proportions of the time. I'd definitely want to do it
before 6 months, avoids all faff with solids!

Anne

Old January 2nd 06, 03:05 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

cjra wrote:
When travel = 15-18 hours travel time, minimum 3 flights and 7 hour
time diffference?

Assuming of course the trip would not be planned until after the baby
is born, but this wouldn't be a holiday/pleasure trip but a familial
obligation.

Assuming all was well with the baby, I'd probably
take the baby out as soon as I felt like managing such
a trip. They're easy to travel with when they're small
like that.

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old January 2nd 06, 04:08 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

cjra wrote:
When travel = 15-18 hours travel time, minimum 3 flights and 7 hour
time diffference?

Assuming of course the trip would not be planned until after the baby
is born, but this wouldn't be a holiday/pleasure trip but a familial
obligation.

I don't think mine will be ready for a trip like that until she's in
college.

Amy

Old January 2nd 06, 11:28 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

If it's in the US, then when you can travel comfortably. If outside the US,
then once some immunizations can be given.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

oups.com...

Old January 3rd 06, 03:53 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

"cjra" wrote in message
oups.com...
When travel = 15-18 hours travel time, minimum 3 flights and 7 hour
time diffference?

Assuming of course the trip would not be planned until after the baby
is born, but this wouldn't be a holiday/pleasure trip but a familial
obligation.

We will be traveling to Germany from west coast (US) in June at 6mos...

Old January 3rd 06, 06:22 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

cjra wrote:
When travel = 15-18 hours travel time, minimum 3 flights and 7 hour
time diffference?

Assuming of course the trip would not be planned until after the baby
is born, but this wouldn't be a holiday/pleasure trip but a familial
obligation.

I had a much shorter trip at 3mos and it was no big deal. They are easy at
this age because all they do is sleep and eat and want to be held. It was
much easier then when he was 15mos.

--
Nikki
Hunter 4/99

Old January 3rd 06, 08:05 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

oregonchick writes:

: oups.com...
:
: Assuming of course the trip would not be planned until after the baby
: is born, but this wouldn't be a holiday/pleasure trip but a familial
: obligation.
:

: We will be traveling to Germany from west coast (US) in June at 6mos...

We did this at 5 months. (From SFO to MUC). This part was easy. We
also toured the Italian Alps for 3 days. This was the hard part, as
Clara hated the car seat, and would howl endlessly.

Larry
Old January 5th 06, 04:06 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

cjra wrote:
When travel = 15-18 hours travel time, minimum 3 flights and 7 hour
time diffference?

Assuming of course the trip would not be planned until after the baby
is born, but this wouldn't be a holiday/pleasure trip but a familial
obligation.

Did a trip like this at 6 months and it was awesome. We could have done
it comfortably as early as, um, say 2 months old. I was fully
recovered, breastfeeding was well-established (I leaked like a hose for
quite a while, would have soaked a crate of breast pads by the time we
got there), baby was healthy and had had first round of immunizations
etc.

Don't forget to take your own recovery into account.

Elle

Old January 5th 06, 03:38 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

Thanks for all the comments.

Since I will have no vacation time after I return to work after
maternity leave, DH and I were hoping to take the baby from the US to
Switzerland for FIL (who can't travel and is not that well) whilst I
was still on maternity leave, around 8 weeks. But after a very
stressful 2 weeks there at 15wks pg, I was thinking we might be nuts to
consider it and was having a mini meltdown at the thought and DH agreed
to put the thought out of his mind for awhile. But then upon saying
goodbye to FIL, I realised we will really need to go ASAP....

I want to wait til round one of shots are done, but I also want to have
a week at least of recovery *after* returning before I go back to work.
And of course we need the time to get both passports, which we can't
exactly request before the baby is born ;-)