Ritalin Helps Beat Cancer Fatigue

Old December 18th 03, 08:27 PM
David Wright

Default Ritalin Helps Beat Cancer Fatigue

In article ,
Roger Schlafly wrote:
"Marciosos6 Probertiosos6" wrote
I am making the following assumptions, which, are reasonable to rational
people: ...

You are also assuming that the subjects were not addicted. Maybe
they were and maybe they weren't. The study only says that they
all failed to get off the drugs when given the opportunity.

You tried to draw conclusions about ritalin not being addictive.
The opposite conclusion is more likely.

As usual, you assert something is more likely without having any basis
for assigning probabilities.

-- David Wright :: alphabeta at prodigy.net
were standing on my shoulders." (Hal Abelson, MIT)

Old December 18th 03, 08:27 PM
SumBuny

"Roger Schlafly" wrote in message
t...
"Marciosos6 Probertiosos6" wrote
I am making the following assumptions, which, are reasonable to rational
people: ...

You are also assuming that the subjects were not addicted. Maybe
they were and maybe they weren't. The study only says that they
all failed to get off the drugs when given the opportunity.

Is that your definition of "addictive"? Does that mean that, oh, women on
birth control pills are addicted to them because they refuse to stop taking
them "when given the opportunity"? That those on antihistimines are
addicted? (These are two examples that came to mind--there are many more, I
am sure).

shaking head
Buny

Old December 18th 03, 08:28 PM
David Wright

In article ,
Jon Quixote wrote:
"Roger Schlafly" wrote in message
et...
"Marciosos6 Probertiosos6" wrote
I am making the following assumptions, which, are reasonable to rational
people: ...

You are also assuming that the subjects were not addicted. Maybe
they were and maybe they weren't. The study only says that they
all failed to get off the drugs when given the opportunity.

No, the study says that they continued to avail themselves of the drugs when
given the option.

"After 7 days they had the option of stopping the medication or continuing
for 3 more weeks. All the
patients reported that the drug helped and all chose to continue taking it."

Can you even get addicted to a substance in 7 days? I recall reading
that even heroin takes a couple of weeks.

-- David Wright :: alphabeta at prodigy.net
were standing on my shoulders." (Hal Abelson, MIT)

Old December 18th 03, 08:32 PM
SumBuny

"JG" wrote in message
.. .
"PF Riley" wrote in message
On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 04:52:32 GMT, "JG" wrote:

We seem to
give quite a bit of leniency towards cancer patients when it comes to
giving them drugs.

And well we should. How idiotic is it to tell someone with a terminal
illness what the heck he can/can't put in his body?!?

nodding I would much rather my father be able to take the morphine needed
to manage his pain than to be in extreme pain for the last few weeks of his
life. The morphine allowed him to be able to enjoy the last few weeks of
his life (in the hospital) and to be able to interact with those of us
family memebers and friends that were there with him to say goodbye.
Because of the morphine, he was not hallucinating or delerious with pain,
but lucid and "him"...my last memories of my father are of the man I had
known my whole life, not a miserable suffering wreck...

I will note that the dosage was constantly monitored, so as to be high
enough to relieve pain, but not so high as to induce delerium...

Buny

Old December 18th 03, 09:20 PM
Roger Schlafly

"JG" wrote
I agree. There's *nothing* to indicate that the users weren't addicted,
and, while the fact they (all!) chose to continue taking it isn't proof
of addiction, it, at least, can be used to support that conclusion.

Mark can read just about any ritalin study, and conclude that it
shows that ritalin is not addictive. Well, it doesn't show that.
All the studies are consistent with the notion that ritalin is addictive.

Old December 18th 03, 09:26 PM
Roger Schlafly

"David Wright" wrote
But note that they sued the feds to get their attention. They were
not being prosecuted. They were free to grow marijuana for their
own consumption anyway.

But not free from the concern that the Feds would prosecute them
anyway.

Yes, they were. The feds do not prosecute medical marijuana
patients who are growing for their own consumption. Never.

Old December 18th 03, 09:35 PM
Roger Schlafly

"SumBuny" wrote
You are also assuming that the subjects were not addicted. Maybe
they were and maybe they weren't. The study only says that they
all failed to get off the drugs when given the opportunity.

Is that your definition of "addictive"? ...

No, but it is a good clue when we are discussing mind-altering drugs.

Old December 18th 03, 11:01 PM
Marciosos7 Probertiosos7

"Roger Schlafly" wrote in message
t...
"JG" wrote
I agree. There's *nothing* to indicate that the users weren't addicted,
and, while the fact they (all!) chose to continue taking it isn't proof
of addiction, it, at least, can be used to support that conclusion.

Mark can read just about any ritalin study, and conclude that it
shows that ritalin is not addictive. Well, it doesn't show that.
All the studies are consistent with the notion that ritalin is addictive.

You have two errors there.

Ritalin is NOT addictive when taken as prescribed. Ritalin IS addictive when
abused.

Now, show me *one* study demonstrating that either statement is wrong.

Just one, Roger. ONE. Uno.

I will not hold my breath.

Old December 18th 03, 11:05 PM
Marciosos7 Probertiosos7

"David Wright" wrote in message
m...
In article ,
Jon Quixote wrote:
[...]

I believe that there are a few substances which can be so addictive that 7
days is way too long.

However, MPH has never been shown to be addictive when taken as prescribed.
Research studies show that the oral use of the medication does not have the
same physiology response as when it is snorted, or injected. The
physiological response in those circumstances is the same for cocaine and
heroin.

Roger refuses to recognize this, and plays his childish wordgames whenever a
study or article comes along which shows a benefit for this medication.

Old December 18th 03, 11:07 PM
Marciosos7 Probertiosos7

"SumBuny" wrote in message

"Roger Schlafly" wrote in message
t...
"Marciosos6 Probertiosos6" wrote
I am making the following assumptions, which, are reasonable to

rational
people: ...

You are also assuming that the subjects were not addicted. Maybe
they were and maybe they weren't. The study only says that they
all failed to get off the drugs when given the opportunity.

Is that your definition of "addictive"? Does that mean that, oh, women on
birth control pills are addicted to them because they refuse to stop

taking
them "when given the opportunity"? That those on antihistimines are
addicted? (These are two examples that came to mind--there are many more,

am sure).

How about that diabetic who is addicted to insulin, by Roger's standard? Or
the cardiac patient who is addcitied to the beta-blocker because he does not
want to experience another heart attack?

shaking head

Shake Roger's head, as soon as he removes it from his thinking cavity.