Expressing colostrum before birth?

Old July 8th 03, 02:34 AM
Karen

Default Expressing colostrum before birth?

Dawn wrote:

But again, what about all the tandem nursers who nurse thru a pregnancy and
dont deliver early?

True, true.....but tandem nursing is still not mechanical manipulation and or
overstimulation, it is stimulation that the body has grown used to. Then again
I am just a Mom not an expert.

Karen Ann
Mommy to:
Ashley 11-13-90
Meghan 3-10-97
Hayley "Chunky Monkey" 3-27-03
Old July 8th 03, 03:46 AM
Dawn Lawson

Karen wrote:

Dawn wrote:

But again, what about all the tandem nursers who nurse thru a pregnancy and
dont deliver early?

True, true.....but tandem nursing is still not mechanical manipulation and or
overstimulation, it is stimulation that the body has grown used to.

I dunno. I'm no expert either.
I personally find that nursing is far more stimulating than the pump, and if a baby
nursing isn't mechanical manipulation, I don't know what it is. (Unless you're
meaning artificial)

Then again
I am just a Mom not an expert.

Ditto.
But for the amount Brigitte is thinking of, vs feeling stressed the whole time
worrying, I think I personally would chance it.

Dawn

PS...Brigitte. I would be willing to FedEx you some cold packed (maybe not frozen,
I seem to have lipase issues...) milk, tho obviously not colostrum, if you get that
far and have none in the freezer. You might not even have the need to use it, cuz
you're not gonna have problems, right?? :-)

Old July 8th 03, 05:47 AM
Dawn Lawson

Truffles wrote:

Dawn Lawson wrote:

PS...Brigitte. I would be willing to FedEx you some cold packed (maybe not frozen,
I seem to have lipase issues...) milk, tho obviously not colostrum, if you get that
far and have none in the freezer. You might not even have the need to use it, cuz
you're not gonna have problems, right?? :-)

Gosh! That's awfully generous Dawn! :-)

Well, seriously, if I can help you rest easy that your babe won't get formula, if only
because the nurses will lay off if they know you have a "stash" they could use, then
sure, I'll do it!

I believe Vancouver has a milk bank.

Well, that would avoid a trip over the Rockies, anyhow.

Good luck finding out what you need to know. It sort of sounds like if you aren't
tandeming, no one really knows about pumping colostrum. How long have the twins been
weaned?

Dawn

Old July 8th 03, 05:52 AM
Truffles

Dawn Lawson wrote:

Good luck finding out what you need to know. It sort of sounds like if you aren't
tandeming, no one really knows about pumping colostrum. How long have the twins been
weaned?

Since shortly after their first birthday. :-(

--
Brigitte aa #2145
edd #3 February 15, 2004

~ Harriet Martineau

Old July 11th 03, 07:17 AM

On Sun, 06 Jul 2003 11:01:53 -0700, Truffles
wrote:

I need some information of how safe it would be to pump colostrum before
giving birth and freezing it.

My biggest concern with this pregnancy is "low blood sugar" levels in
the baby at birth and how do I stop the hospital from supplementation.
I don't want to go through nipple confusion again with this one. This
is weighing terribly on my mind.

If I had a plan, I think I could stop worrying.

Brigitte,

I have wondered the same thing and think I would go ahead and pump
after the baby is at full term, unless I had reason to believe there
were other issues in the pregnancy. I don't mind encouraging things
to get moving a bit, and I have very little fear that I'd really end
up inducing labor, since we *tried* pumping to induce labor when my
waters broke with Margaret, and didn't get very far! I had
contractions, but nothing productive or sustained after I stopped
pumping.

The reason I'd pump is simple: Margaret wound up dehydrated, then
hospitalized for jaundice, and got a couple of bottles of formula
because I was SO swollen that she could not latch on and I could not
pump enough to flush her system. If we go for number two, I want to
have something better to offer him or her. I'd do as I did the first
time around: pump and rinse the horns with a dribble of sterile
glucose water to get every drip and drop of the collostrum. I'd
freeze in daily batches. Figure that even if I didnt' do it very
often, I could get a few feedings ahead, which is probably all I would
need.

I'll be curious to see what you end up doing and how it comes out.
Good luck!

Beth, mother of Margaret, 17 months and still nursing....