Back to sleep

Old September 17th 06, 07:21 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Kim

Default Back to sleep

I know babies are supposed to sleep on their backs (I even have a couple
"back to sleep" onsies), but DS refuses so far. I know it's only been a few
days, but each time we try, he starts crying. He can be sound asleep in
your arms or on your chest, and as soon as you lay him on his back in the
bassinette, he wakes up and cries. Other than holding him while he sleeps,
which I'm not prepared to do at night or putting him in another position,
what can I do?

Old September 17th 06, 08:16 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
april & joanna

"Kim" wrote in message
. ..
I know babies are supposed to sleep on their backs (I even have a couple
"back to sleep" onsies), but DS refuses so far. I know it's only been a
few days, but each time we try, he starts crying. He can be sound asleep
in your arms or on your chest, and as soon as you lay him on his back in
the bassinette, he wakes up and cries. Other than holding him while he
sleeps, which I'm not prepared to do at night or putting him in another
position, what can I do?

get some ear plugs???? Hmmm I dont really know

Old September 17th 06, 09:15 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
lucy-lu

"Kim" wrote in message
. ..
I know babies are supposed to sleep on their backs (I even have a couple
"back to sleep" onsies), but DS refuses so far. I know it's only been a

few
days, but each time we try, he starts crying. He can be sound asleep in
your arms or on your chest, and as soon as you lay him on his back in the
bassinette, he wakes up and cries. Other than holding him while he

sleeps,
which I'm not prepared to do at night or putting him in another position,
what can I do?

Have you tried swaddlling him before he falls aleeps on you? My DD didn't
even notice me put her down when she was swaddled...

Good luck!

Lucy

Old September 17th 06, 10:29 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Jamie Clark

Kim wrote:
I know babies are supposed to sleep on their backs (I even have a
couple "back to sleep" onsies), but DS refuses so far. I know it's
only been a few days, but each time we try, he starts crying. He can
be sound asleep in your arms or on your chest, and as soon as you lay
him on his back in the bassinette, he wakes up and cries. Other than
holding him while he sleeps, which I'm not prepared to do at night or
putting him in another position, what can I do?

You don't mention how old your son is. It may not be the sleeping on his
back issue, it may be more of the sudden cooling down from being away from
your body heat, or the harder feeling crib/bassinet mattress as opposed to
Mommy's soft breast. Try putting a heating pad down on the mattress to heat
it up before you lay baby down, and try holding a receiving blanket around
your son as you hold him, then as you lay him down you lay him on the
blanket and on the warm mattress, and that might keep him asleep.

My first daughter did this very same thing for the first few months, until I
decided I had to work it through. I basically let her "almost" fall asleep
in my arms, then put her down in the bassinet. When she cried, I'd let her
fuss for a few moments, then pick her back up until she was "almost" falling
asleep again, then put her back down...rinse repeat, ad nauseum. Eventually
she was so tired and exhausted that she just stayed asleep. It took a few
days of doing, repeatedly, until eventually she was able to go to sleep on
her own, in the bassinet, away from mommy.
--

Jamie
Earth Angels:

Check out the family! -- www.MyFamily.com, User ID: Clarkguest1,
Password: Guest Become a member for free - go to Add Member to set up
your own User ID and Password

Old September 17th 06, 11:48 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
V.

"Jamie Clark" wrote in message
. ..
Kim wrote:
[...]

snip

I'd second this. My daughter is *very* sensitive to temperature and was
born in Maine in late November. Every time we put her down to sleep she'd
wake up, regardless of position. I swaddled, used heating pads to heat up
the crib sheets, used hot water bottles to tuck in beside her, etc. Finally
we ended up putting her to sleep in an extra car seat and that worked well
(I think it helped with both the feeling of being held, being upright, and
being warmer because she kept more of her body heat.) Please remember that
you have to remove the heating pad before you put the baby in the crib,
since electric heating pads get much higher than body temp. Hot water
bottles are OK to leave in because they lose heat with time (assuming you
haven't somehow superheated the water in the first place).
Over the summer she would only sleep in air conditioned rooms...vacation at
a "rustic cottage by the lake" was an unmitigigated disaster. Now we are
able to get away with an air filter running in the room for white noise, and
a couple of blankets...one to lay on and one to cover her. I need to get
flannel fitted sheets, as they would be warmer and hold body heat better.
good luck!
Amy

Old September 18th 06, 10:03 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Suzanne S

Kim wrote:

You don't mention how old your son is. It may not be the sleeping on his
back issue, it may be more of the sudden cooling down from being away from
your body heat, or the harder feeling crib/bassinet mattress as opposed to
Mommy's soft breast. Try putting a heating pad down on the mattress to
heat it up before you lay baby down, and try holding a receiving blanket
around your son as you hold him, then as you lay him down you lay him on
the blanket and on the warm mattress, and that might keep him asleep.

This also worked for me. When I took my babies out of the crib I would put
a hot water bottle into the crib. Then once they had fed I took the hot
water bottle out of the crib and put baby in. Nice cosy crib and they
stayed asleep.

Good luck,

Suzanne

Old September 18th 06, 04:37 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
KD

Kim wrote:

You don't mention how old your son is. It may not be the sleeping on his
back issue, it may be more of the sudden cooling down from being away from
your body heat, or the harder feeling crib/bassinet mattress as opposed to
Mommy's soft breast. Try putting a heating pad down on the mattress to
heat it up before you lay baby down, and try holding a receiving blanket
around your son as you hold him, then as you lay him down you lay him on
the blanket and on the warm mattress, and that might keep him asleep.

This also worked for me. When I took my babies out of the crib I would put
a hot water bottle into the crib. Then once they had fed I took the hot
water bottle out of the crib and put baby in. Nice cosy crib and they
stayed asleep.

Good luck,

Suzanne

I'd second the swaddling idea. My son kept waking himself up in the
early days because he didn't really have control of his limbs, he'd
flail his arms and wake up. But tucked into a tight swaddle, that was
how we first got him to sleep through the night.

The heating pad thing, we did that in the beginning too as it was early
April and still a bit cool here.

Good luck!

KD & G

Old September 18th 06, 07:47 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Lady Penelope Creighton-Ward

lucy-lu wrote:
"Kim" wrote in message
. ..
I know babies are supposed to sleep on their backs (I even have a couple
"back to sleep" onsies), but DS refuses so far. I know it's only been a

few
days, but each time we try, he starts crying. He can be sound asleep in
your arms or on your chest, and as soon as you lay him on his back in the
bassinette, he wakes up and cries. Other than holding him while he

sleeps,
which I'm not prepared to do at night or putting him in another position,
what can I do?

Have you tried swaddlling him before he falls aleeps on you? My DD didn't
even notice me put her down when she was swaddled...

Good luck!

Lucy

I was going to suggest swaddling too. It worked wonderfully on my baby
from the time she was born till about the age of two and a half, three
months...