How to start storing milk?

Old November 5th 06, 02:18 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
[email protected]

Default How to start storing milk?

I'm going to be working part time within the next month and I want to
start stroing milk for when I'm away. I don't know when I will start
or how long I'll be away. Are there any tips that someone may have
about when to pump or how often so that I can get some milk stored up
for DS? Also, he rarely gets a bottle, I only pump on special
occassions, so he has a habit of refusing and holding out. He's never
been left with anyone but family and only then for no more than 3
hours. How can I get him to accept the bottle more readily when I am
away? Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanx,
Ronika

Old November 5th 06, 12:43 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
KD

Irrational Number wrote:
wrote:

Are there any tips that someone may have
about when to pump or how often so that I can get some milk stored up
for DS?

(1) It takes several pumping sessions to get
enough milk for one meal. Getting 1 oz. is
average when pumping in addition to nursing.
(3 oz. when pumping instead of nursing.)

(2) Pump once a day, every day, whenever it
works. (For me, it was during "Law & Order"
at 10 pm.)

(3) Pump to get 1 oz. Freeze that. In
4 days, you will have 4 oz., enough for one
feeding.

How can I get him to accept the bottle more readily when I am
away?

Remember, you have to do what works for you.
For me, I never worried about what baby would
eat when I was away. If he doesn't get any
milk for 3 hours, well, he won't starve. DS#2
reverse cycled, so he probably drank 5-6 oz.
grudgingly while I was at work. But, it was
not a big deal because he nursed so well when
we were together. (He was 26 lb. at 6 months.)

If you really want him to drink something, have
the caregiver try a spoon, cup, syringe, whatever
is on hand. Personally, I wouldn't worry for
a couple of hours here and there.

-- Anita --

For us, we started giving our son a bottle of EBM about once a week,
just so he'd know what to do with it. He's not given us any problems
with bottles, although he doesn't seem to eat as much when fed that
way.

In the freezing department, I've started freezing in ice cube trays.
That way I have small amounts available if I just want a bit to mix
with his cereal or whatever.

Maybe I'm just weird or have loads of milk. I can get four ounces from
one side if I do it in the morning, provided my boy has slept most of
the night.

Anita - 26 pounds at six months, wow! My guy was 23 pounds 10 ounces
and 29 inches tall at six months. Everyone thinks HE'S a giant!

KD & G

Old November 6th 06, 03:38 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
cjra

wrote:
I'm going to be working part time within the next month and I want to
start stroing milk for when I'm away. I don't know when I will start
or how long I'll be away. Are there any tips that someone may have
about when to pump or how often so that I can get some milk stored up
for DS? Also, he rarely gets a bottle, I only pump on special
occassions, so he has a habit of refusing and holding out. He's never
been left with anyone but family and only then for no more than 3
hours. How can I get him to accept the bottle more readily when I am
away? Any help would be much appreciated.

I'd recommend trying more frequently to give the bottle. DD adamantly
refused, and was still refusing when I went to work at 12 wks. However,
she survived . Mostly she reverse cycled, and I went at lunch. So
often she'd only take 2, maybe 3 ozs in addition to our 45 min lunch
sessions between 7:45-4:30. Then she nursed all night. Now she's taking
more. The few times I didn't go at lunch she just took more. It's like
she holds out then once she realizes I'm not coming, gives in. I wish
we'd have started earlier than 6 weeks trying (tho she had an oral
aversion initially) 'cause it was really stressful for me.

For now, pump after you nurse, 1x/day. Most people get the best yield
in the morning. I only had a small stash when I went to work, mostly
left over from the first 3 wks when I was exclusively pumping, and the
odd early morning pump here and there. Once I started working and
pumping 2x/day, I always had enough for the next day. now I have about
1-2wks' stash.