Breastfeeding poop question... (sorry if TMI)

Old August 13th 06, 01:12 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
KR

Default Breastfeeding poop question... (sorry if TMI)

Hi everyone,

My second daughter is 3 months old now and seems to be breastfeeding
well, gaining lots of weight, having lots of wet diapers and at least 1
poopy one a day! I've noticed the past couple days that her poop is
really runny and doesn't have the seedy look that it did just last
week. Should I be concerned about this?? Aren't those little bumps
fat in the poop? So if they are not there is she not getting enough
hind milk? I thought too much foremilk made the poops greenish though,
hers are still the same color that they have always been.

Thanks,
KR

Old August 13th 06, 02:47 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Nikki

"KR" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi everyone,

My second daughter is 3 months old now and seems to be breastfeeding
well, gaining lots of weight, having lots of wet diapers and at least 1
poopy one a day! I've noticed the past couple days that her poop is
really runny and doesn't have the seedy look that it did just last
week. Should I be concerned about this?? Aren't those little bumps
fat in the poop? So if they are not there is she not getting enough
hind milk? I thought too much foremilk made the poops greenish though,
hers are still the same color that they have always been.

I don't worry about minor variations like that. She may start skipping days
and that is OK too.

--
Nikki, mama to
Hunter 4/99

Old August 13th 06, 12:46 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Mum of Two

"KR" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi everyone,

My second daughter is 3 months old now and seems to be breastfeeding
well, gaining lots of weight, having lots of wet diapers and at least 1
poopy one a day! I've noticed the past couple days that her poop is
really runny and doesn't have the seedy look that it did just last
week. Should I be concerned about this?? Aren't those little bumps
fat in the poop? So if they are not there is she not getting enough
hind milk? I thought too much foremilk made the poops greenish though,
hers are still the same color that they have always been.

Just a normal variation. They won't look seedy forever. They begin to use
the breastmilk more efficiently, so they can go for days, even *gasp* a week
without pooping...then when they do...yikes! At about four months old, still
exclusively breastfeeding, my daughter's poop changed to a darker, browner
colour with a fudgy, tar-like consistency, and she spaced them out to once
every second day - or less.. And they smelt terrible! She also started
having rotten smelling farts around the same time. None of this seemed to
bother her. I put it all down to her making better use of the breastmilk,
and the natural development of her intestine.

--
Amy
Mum to Carlos born sleeping 20/11/02,

Old August 14th 06, 11:00 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Chookie

In article .com,
"KR" wrote:

My second daughter is 3 months old now and seems to be breastfeeding
well, gaining lots of weight, having lots of wet diapers and at least 1
poopy one a day! I've noticed the past couple days that her poop is
really runny and doesn't have the seedy look that it did just last
week. Should I be concerned about this??

No.

Aren't those little bumps fat in the poop?

Not that I have ever heard.

So if they are not there is she not getting enough
hind milk? I thought too much foremilk made the poops greenish though,
hers are still the same color that they have always been.

You're overthinking it. Check out your own stools for a week or two and you
will see variations in colour, aroma and texture. It's not important unless
the differences are extreme or there are other symptoms (eg, diarrhoea is
watery -- not just runny -- and foul-smelling, and the child might be
lethargic or feverish).

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Kerry Cue
Old August 14th 06, 11:52 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
KR

I overthink everything! LOL

Thanks for all the responses people...

KR

Old August 19th 06, 11:15 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
KD

KR wrote:
I overthink everything! LOL

Thanks for all the responses people...

KR

Chookie wrote:
In article .com,
"KR" wrote:

[...]

My DH and I were just talking recently about how we never anticipated
parenthood bringing so many discussions about poop.

Our DS is now four and a half months old. His habits changed about a
month ago. He no longer goes several times a day like he was, he'll go
every other day, sometimes longer. Like you mentioned, the seediness is
gone too, and wow it's starting to get stinky!

As another poster said, their bodies just use the milk more efficiently
as they mature, and there's less/different waste. Doesn't mean we can't
worry though.

KD & G