advice on breastfeeding and how it should be

Old January 14th 07, 03:18 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
[email protected]

Default advice on breastfeeding and how it should be

Hello,

To whom this may concern...

I will be delivering my second baby in 2-3 weeks. I experience
trouble with my delivery and breastfeeding was a priority but didn't
work out the way I had planned for my first.

I don't want to be in the same situation this time around. Instead
want to be prepared and was hoping to know if their is someone who
would be available for advice, guidance and support when I come home
especially with the baby? Is that possible?

It just seemed like everyone else just seems to think its a breeze and
deal with the pain. I don't think it should be that painful for long,
right?

hope to hear from you soon, sam

Old January 18th 07, 03:31 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
[email protected]

Anita,
thanks so much for your advice and experience. It makes me feel more
like I can do it and i'm not alone = ) any advice on where to turn
when the days are hard w/ breastfeeding and don't know where to turn?

Irrational Number wrote:
wrote:

I don't want to be in the same situation this time around. Instead
want to be prepared and was hoping to know if their is someone who
would be available for advice, guidance and support when I come home
especially with the baby? Is that possible?

This newsgroup was a great source of help and
support for me.

It just seemed like everyone else just seems to think its a breeze and
deal with the pain. I don't think it should be that painful for long,
right?

That was not my experience! The first month
was painful and I could not nurse unless I was
completely naked above the waist. I was engorged
and Pillbug nursed almost constantly. I had so
many doubts about my supply.

However, I learned so much from this newsgroup
and also from my pediatrician, who supported
breastfeeding greatly. I ended up nursing Pillbug
for 17 months and now I am still nursing my 19mo
Rocky.

Please feel free to post your questions!

-- Anita --

Old January 18th 07, 03:57 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
[email protected]

Pologirl,
Thanks for sharing your experience, ya those nurses and lactation
consultants can be reall good or not so good at all. One of my nurses
with my first was very insensitive and was rude how i was having
trouble nursing. Sounds like what your saying is, its how we want to
deal with the pain and how we manage it. It bothers me when you know
the ones around you think all women have done it in the past/ history
whats the trouble now. We as women who struggle with breastfeeding
feel like we are lacking as a mother and female. I just wish it wasn't
so darn painful, i know laching on is very important and once i leave
the hospital is when i'm going to feel like i have trouble. Another
question what did you take to the hospital to wear? With my first the
delivery was so bad that i didn't even get to change when i was at the
hospital. Tell me what you think?
Pologirl wrote:
wrote:
I don't want to be in the same situation this time around.

Good for you!

It just seemed like everyone else just seems to think its a breeze and
deal with the pain. I don't think it should be that painful for long, right?

Hm. I have 2 babies. With both, breastfeeding was very painful for
the
first few weeks. I breastfed baby #1 for 9 months. Baby #2 spent days
in hospital and I was visited there by a lactation consultant. She
meant
to be helpful, I think, but she was not very competent. Every time I
said
nursing really hurt she would insist that it should not hurt. So what
was I
supposed to do? Quit, because obviously there must be something wrong
with me? She did not help me resolve the problem. I kept waiting for
her to continue: "It should not hurt. Let's see why it is hurting,
and fix
the problem." What I did was thank her for her help and say goodbye.
Then I remembered all I could of what I had read here back when I had
baby #1. Soon enough, baby #2 and I were nursing together in comfort.

Old January 18th 07, 12:12 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
KD

Pologirl wrote:
wrote:
[...]

I found it really frustrating that everyone told me breastfeeding
shouldn't hurt unless you're doing something wrong. "It hurts? It
shouldn't; you must not have a good latch then!"

In the real world, I found lots of moms who told me how much it hurt.
For me, it was about three weeks or so before we really got established
and it wasn't painful. Now my boy is nine months old; even with all
those teeth, nursing is a breeze.

In defense of lactation consultants, at least in my area, they did
really try to help me to find a way to make it hurt less. But I wish at
least one of them had said yes, some pain is normal; it will pass.

This site is a wealth of information, I've gotten all kinds of good
advice here. Come as often as you can, and ask anything you need to!

Good luck!

KD & G

Old January 18th 07, 09:19 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Tok'ra

oups.com...

Irrational Number wrote:
wrote:

[...]

i have a 2 year old and he and i found it hard to feed and when the midwife
nurese or laction person went and helped it just hurt so much and they ade
me get a cracked nipple so i just lied to them and said it was all ok and me
and my partner did it a lone he held myy son and i put it in his month and
there was no pain so i would say just do what ur body and ur baby think is
best.

with my little girl now 5 months she had a tongue tie and found it hard to
feed all she could do ewas suck and not suck hard enough for milk so from 2
days old i have been expressing it into a bottle from a hand pump every
three hours and that is how she has been eatting i think that breast milk is
the best and u should just do what u and ur baby feel is right.

hope that i have been some help
good luck
natasha

Old January 19th 07, 03:48 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Pologirl

KD wrote:
I found it really frustrating that everyone told me breastfeeding
shouldn't hurt unless you're doing something wrong.

That might be true, for some women. Perhaps for most women.
And the "it shouldn't hurt" attitude does encourage a helpful
"well, let's fix it" mindset rather than a defeated, discouraging
"nothing to be done about it" mindset. But some women and
their babies can do everything correctly yet it still hurts. For a
time.

I was so dismayed to encounter a lactation consultant who got
the "it shouldn't hurt" part yet seemed to belong to the "nothing
to be done about it" club.

Old January 19th 07, 04:18 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Anne Rogers

With #1, I went to the hospital wearing a coat, pants, slippers, and a
nightshirt. I carried nothing but my pre-admission paperwork. I wore
the nightshirt during labor until it got in the way. Then I wore
nothing.

ahh, at least I'm not the only one! I started out wearing clothes, then was
sick, after I took them off, I felt so much more comfortable (it was hot!)
and I asked if anyone minded if I didn't put anything back on, though I had
pants and a bra on, the pants came off to use a bed pan and didn't get put
back on and the bra came off straight after the birth to allow nipple
access.

I wasn't really sure what the original question meant, are you meaning for
the stay in hospital after the birth? in which case, nursing night shirts
are good, and if you want to get dressed, drawstring maternity trousers and
a baggy t-shirt. The same works out pretty well for labour too.

Anne