Addie's Adoption Story

Old November 3rd 04, 02:08 PM
Rebecca Jo

"Jamie Clark" wrote:

Adoptive breastfeeding is pretty much what it sounds like -- breastfeeding
an adopted child. I pumped for 7 weeks before Taylor was born, and then
about a week before she arrived, I began taking a medication whose
"unfortunate" side affect is inducing lactation -- which was good for me,
but not for those poor people who needed heartburn relief! : ) Anyway, I
also used a Supplemental Nursing System (SNS) which consists of a plastic
bottle that you wear around your neck, and tiny tubes that you tape to
your nipples. As the baby suckles at the breast, they get anything that
you may be producing, plus formula from the SNS. I breastfed for 4 days,
then gave

A month after my mum had her ninth baby, she was in a bad car accident. She
had been breastfeeding, but since she was in the hospital a month (and in a
coma for several weeks), she obviously couldn't continue. My aunt took care
of my brother and bottle-fed him. When my mom got out, she made sure it was
okay with her doctor and the medication she was on (the accident really
messed her up - she's still on tons of medication for it), she got one of
the SNS things and retrained the baby & her body to breastfeed. Worked
like a charm. She breastfed him until he was 4.

Jamie
Earth Angels:
Taylor Marlys, 1/3/03
Addison Grace, 9/30/04

Old November 4th 04, 06:57 PM
Jamie Clark

I haven't talked to Lindsey in a few weeks -- I keep paying their rent every
Sunday (for one more week) and sending gift cards weekly for Walmart. What
I know of Lindsey is that when everything is okay, she doesn't call. She
seems to only call when there is crisis. We will keep our toll free number
indefinitely, so that she can reach out and give us a call any time she
likes.
--

Jamie
Earth Angels:

Guest
Password

"Kelly" wrote in message

Do you still keep in touch with Lindsey? I was hanging by a thread
reading
your story because it really was up to the minute.

Kelly
#4 2/12/05

Old November 4th 04, 07:00 PM
Jamie Clark

Wendy,
Yes, we did talk about it -- I think it's a valid topic of conversation as
an adoptive parent trying to figure out the risks in a particular situation.
Basically, Lindsey and her bf have no money and have a hard time making ends
meet -- they can barely afford the two children that they have. Lindsey
doesn't believe in abortion, and it hadn't occurred to her to place either
of her first two children for adoption. I guess she has a friend who had
placed a child in an open adoption, and when she found out she was pregnant
again, this friend mentioned adoption, and it was like a lightbulb went off.
I don't think they ever seriously considered keeping Addie. Adoption was
always the plan.

Oddly enough, Taylor also has 2 older birthsiblings. In her case, her
birthparents had separated and were going to divorce, when they found out
they were pregnant. So that was the impetus for their decision to place
their third child for adoption.
--

Jamie
Earth Angels:

Guest
Password

"Wendy" wrote in message
Ok, Jamie since you said it's ok, i'll ask. The question is actually
completely irrelevant, just idle curiosity. If BM has two other children
(5 and 3) that she had when she was 15 and 17(?) why did she choose to
place this baby in an adoptive home? I guess I am wondering if BM and
the adoptive parents normally discuss why the choice is being made. A
woman I know adopted a baby boy and the BM placed her baby up for
adoption because she strongly believed in a two parent home and the BF
wanted nothing to do with helping to raise the child. So, the BM placed
with a stable, married couple because that is the environment she
thought would be best for the baby. Just wondering how Lindsey came to
her decision.

Wendy

Old November 4th 04, 07:07 PM
Jamie Clark

Andrea,
Thanks. Let's see -- the short and sweet version is this -- we connected
with Addie's birthmother on a Wednesday, two days before her due date. Flew
down to Las Vegas on that Saturday (day after due date) to meet her, flew
home Monday. She called on Thursday to say that her water had broken, and 6
hours later Addie was born. Rob and I flew down to Las Vegas and waited for
the requisite 72 hours before Lindsey could sign the relinquishment papers,
terminating her parental rights. Due to various stupid reasons, the papers
couldn't be signed on Monday, so we scheduled it for Tuesday, which was 96
hours after the birth. There were a few scares where I thought for sure
that Lindsey was changing her mind and wanted to parent her child, but they
were false alarms. Then came the time for Lindsey and her bf to show up to
the appointment to sign the papers, and they were a no show. They didn't
call or answer their phones, and no one knew where they were or what had
happened. We didn't hear from them until the next morning, when they
finally surfaced and were able to sign the papers. Apparently it was just
in time, as Child Protective Services was going to come later that day and
take Addie, and our claim to adopt her would have been voided.

So, that's the gist of it. It was a total rollercoaster!
--

Jamie
Earth Angels:

Guest
Password

"Unadulterated Me" wrote in message
Jamie Clark wrote:

To be continued...

I have to confess I haven't read your story, I'd like to but it's too
long, if there's a cliff notes version though send it along.
But I wanted to say congratulations and welcome to baby Addie, what
fantastic news :-)

Andrea

Old November 4th 04, 07:08 PM
Jamie Clark

No, it was Domperidone.
--

Jamie
Earth Angels:

Guest
Password

"Kelly" wrote in message
Was it Reglan you took?

I helped a woman with adoptive breastfeeding and I always wondered how
things had gone. Although I had an idea, it would have been really nice
know the outcome.

Kelly
#4 2/12/05

"Jamie Clark" wrote in message
Oh Puh-Lease. Ask me anything! Haven't you figured out by now that I'm
completely open book? I'm not sure that I left much out -- it's pretty

dang
inclusive, but ask anything you like.

Adoptive breastfeeding is pretty much what it sounds like --
breastfeeding
an adopted child. I pumped for 7 weeks before Taylor was born, and then
about a week before she arrived, I began taking a medication whose
"unfortunate" side affect is inducing lactation -- which was good for me,
but not for those poor people who needed heartburn relief! : ) Anyway,
also used a Supplemental Nursing System (SNS) which consists of a plastic
bottle that you wear around your neck, and tiny tubes that you tape to

your
nipples. As the baby suckles at the breast, they get anything that you

may
be producing, plus formula from the SNS. I breastfed for 4 days, then

gave
myself permission to quit. It was hard -- it hurt, and I'd worked so

hard,
for so long to get this dang baby (5 years of depression, infertility and

9
pregnancy losses), I just wanted to enjoy her. So I switched to bottles

and
never looked back. I am glad that I tried to breastfeed -- I enjoyed the
closeness and extra bonding, and feel that for me, it helped me to claim
Taylor as my own. Plus, since I didn't get to be pregnant and give
birth,
at least I got to breastfeed. I treasure the experience, and yet, had no
desire to try it again!
--

Jamie
Earth Angels:

Check out the family! -- www.MyFamily.com, User ID: Clarkguest1,

Password:
Guest
Become a member for free - go to Add Member to set up your own User ID
and
Password

"Wendy" wrote in message
Wow, Jamie, that is a very, very moving adoption story. Congratulations
to you that everything worked out! I am also curious, what is "adoptive
breastfeeding"? There are so many questions I'd like to ask you but
lest
they be inappropriate I will assume you included all you wanted us to
know in the story unless you specify otherwise. I really enjoyed your
post.

Wendy

Old November 5th 04, 01:13 AM
Kelly

That is awful close to Dom Perion'(sp?)

I took Reglan throughout my third pg, and then when I bf I would get the
same nausea like in pg. so I continued it. I could have fed the entire
county!

Kelly

Old November 5th 04, 09:26 PM
Jamie Clark

I wish it had been Dom Perignon (sp)! Or Crystal! ha ha!

--

Jamie
Earth Angels:

Guest