DD2 has arrived - birth story

Old April 27th 07, 11:29 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Elle

Default DD2 has arrived - birth story

Well my second daughter arrived just before Emily's Shiloh

Amelia Adelaide
April 22, 2007 9:20 a.m.
8 lbs 6oz

I woke up at 1:30 a.m., on Sunday I guess though it still felt like
Saturday night with really intense contractions. My labour with my
first daughter was induced so I wasn't sure what to expect in terms of
"early" labour, but this wasn't it -- the contractions were very
strong, there was no question I was in labour. After a couple
contractions I woke my husband and called my parents to wake them &
let them know we'd be needing them to come mind DD1 soon. They would
be there in about four hours, but we figured that would be plenty of
time.

The contractions were about 5 minutes apart and lasted over a minute
each. I wasn't sure what this meant since my doc has said to go to the
hospital when they were 4 minutes apart lasting 35-45 seconds, but
what I knew was that it was taking a lot of focus to get through them.
I also had a lot of pain in my back, so got off it asap and spent the
next almost five hours kneeling and leaning over a big pile of pillows
on the bed, or standing over the bed leaning on the pillows. My
husband was a star and spent the whole time rubbing or pressing on my
back and on between contractions running around getting the rest of
our stuff together for the hospital and getting me drinks etc. He was
awesome. At around 4:30 or so I started vomiting, it was only about an
hour later that I wondered if that was transition and maybe we should
think about going to the hospital. My water still hadn't broken, which
turned out to be a good thing. At 6:00 a.m. I got dressed and we left
the house at 6:15 when my parents arrived.

It took us all of 6 minutes to get to the hospital, by then the
contractions were over a minute and about 3 minutes apart. I huffed
and puffed through the lobby and up to L & D. I definitely wanted an
epidural -- the labour had been manageable up until then but I wasn't
interested in going the full distance without one! They evaluated me
and I was 7+ cm dilated. I was very pleased that all the pain had
actually meant progress!

They hustled me into a L&D room to get an IV in and the epidural
started. The IV took a few tries. They gave me a "combined epidural"
which was great as it took the edge off but I could still feel what
was going on. By 7 a.m I was at 8cm and they broke my water. There was
meconium in the water so they called a ped consult from the NICU to
stand by, and by 9:00 I was at 10 and had felt the urge to push so
started doing that. After 20 minutes of pushing, which was very
intense, out she came. She cried and yelled right away so there were
no complications from the meconium, they didn't even suction. In total
I was in L&D for just under 3 hours. We left the hospital the next
morning. I had two tiny tears and my recovery is going really well,
Amelia is a great nurser and DD1 is adjusting well. We are just
thrilled with our two girls.

Elle
Stella 02/23/2005
Amelia 04/22/2007

Old April 28th 07, 12:45 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Anne Rogers[_2_]

Congratulations Elle, so you knew when to go to the hospital! Some might say
you went too late, but it sounds just right to me, I just hope you had a
back up plan in case you needed to go sooner than your parents could get
there!

Were you past your due date? Passing meconium is more often a symptom of gut
maturity than distress, it occurs something like 50% of the time at 42
weeks!

Anne

Old April 28th 07, 03:00 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Elle

On Apr 27, 7:45 pm, "Anne Rogers" wrote:
Congratulations Elle, so you knew when to go to the hospital! Some might say
you went too late, but it sounds just right to me, I just hope you had a
back up plan in case you needed to go sooner than your parents could get
there!

Were you past your due date? Passing meconium is more often a symptom of gut
maturity than distress, it occurs something like 50% of the time at 42
weeks!

Anne

My gut did tell me when I had to go, I think I would have known if
birth was imminent. One of the surprises for me in this labour was how
strong my instincts were, in terms of finding ways to cope with the
contractions and having a sense of how the labour was progressing. I
didn't really get the chance to experience that with my first induced
labour. We definitely would have gone to hospital straight away if my
water had broken. I think it went just perfectly, and I'm quite
pleased with how we managed it at home.

We did have a backup plan -- we had a cousin on standby but as it
turns out her husband was out of the country for business that weekend
and she couldn't have left her two small children in the middle of the
night anyway! Our second backup plan was to have a neighbour come over
to sit for the last hour or so until my parents arrived but thankfully
we didn't have to call upon her. We actually found it really hard to
make arrangements for all the possible scenarios, but in the end it
worked out OK.

It was actually a day before my due date, they did a strip on her in
the hospital and she didn't show any signs of distress so we figured
she likely would be OK.

Elle

Old April 28th 07, 03:11 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Welches

"Elle" wrote in message
ups.com...
Well my second daughter arrived just before Emily's Shiloh

Amelia Adelaide
April 22, 2007 9:20 a.m.
8 lbs 6oz

Congratulations!
Debbie

Old April 28th 07, 03:29 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
xkatx

"Elle" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Congrats!! Glad all went well and good to hear baby Amelia is doing good,
and is a good size too.
Sounds like it went fairly quickly, and very glad to hear DD1 is doing
pretty good so far. Hopefully it stays that she likes having a baby sister
around
And... Beautiful name I wanted to name DD1 Amelia, but N wanted "Amie"
and I even tried to talk him into 'Amelia' since they sound similar...
Amelia Adelaide. I really like the way that sounds.

Old April 28th 07, 03:58 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Karen

Elle wrote:
Well my second daughter arrived just before Emily's Shiloh

Amelia Adelaide
April 22, 2007 9:20 a.m.
8 lbs 6oz

Congratulations! And thank you for posting your birth story. Amelia is a
beautiful name.

Karen
Old April 28th 07, 09:11 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Anne Rogers[_2_]

It was actually a day before my due date, they did a strip on her in
the hospital and she didn't show any signs of distress so we figured
she likely would be OK.

and even meconium caused by distress isn't that often a problem, even if the
meconium is then aspirated, again, it's also not always a problem, I can
only find estimated figures, meconium seems to be aspirated about 35% of the
time that it is present in the water and if it's aspirated, only causes
Meconium Aspiration Syndrome 5-10% of the time and it's thought that these
cases are marked by severe distress (hypoxia or asphyxia) in the womb,
rather than bad luck with passing meconium, aspirating it and so on -
healthy lungs can deal with the meconium they've inhaled, meaning only
minimal suctioning to clear the airways is required, it's unhealthy lungs
that have problems.

My daughter (2nd child) had passed meconium, as she was born at 39+3 and it
was old, so passed several days earlier, so at that gestation, likely to be
distress of some sort that was temporary, she was also intermittently
distressed in labour, but the mec wasn't found until ARM well into 2nd
stage, at which point she was fine.

I just relooked at the figures as to how often it occurs, 50% at 42 weeks
was a correct recollection, but it's 30% at 40 weeks, which was higher than
I expected and overall 12-13% - it's a surprisingly common birth problem,
but one that only a small amount of the time means there is a problem, it
does make sense to me that if you are in a hospital then get the
paediatrician into the room, but not an absolute reason to transfer from a
homebirth, I think had my daughters birth been at home as planned, I would
have transferred, even though it was old, she was intermittently not showing
great signs, but on the other hand, the circumstances that turned into a
hospital birth anyway, may well have been what caused her some distress
prior to labour, so it's probably all irrelevant.

I guess meconium is a hard subject for parents, stories like cjra's and
angelina are thankfully rare, but knowing that these things do happen,
seeing meconium can be very worrying, when often it isn't and doctors and
midwives don't always help - most of the understanding about what is going
on it newish, the main research paper is 1992 and it takes time for that to
pass into teaching and practice, so for moderate numbers of care providers,
meconium still implies panic.

Anne

Old April 29th 07, 01:30 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Elle

On Apr 28, 4:11 pm, "Anne Rogers" wrote:

I guess meconium is a hard subject for parents, stories like cjra's and
angelina are thankfully rare, but knowing that these things do happen,
seeing meconium can be very worrying, when often it isn't and doctors and
midwives don't always help - most of the understanding about what is going
on it newish, the main research paper is 1992 and it takes time for that to
pass into teaching and practice, so for moderate numbers of care providers,
meconium still implies panic.

Anne

They definitely weren't panicking but it is protocol at this hospital
to have a ped standing by for consult when a baby is born with
meconium in the water. The water was quite dirty, with my first
daughter they thought it might be stained with meconium so to speak
but were kind of holding the chux pad up to the light etc to see if
they could agree that there was anything there -- we settled on
"no"

I already knew the potential implications but the nurse explained them
pretty throroughly and calmly. I think meconium in the water is quite
common, lots of people I know had it. Amelia was quite covered in poop
when she emerged!

Elle

Old April 29th 07, 02:30 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Joy

On Apr 27, 5:29 pm, Elle wrote:
Well my second daughter arrived just before Emily's Shiloh

Amelia Adelaide
April 22, 2007 9:20 a.m.
8 lbs 6oz

Congratulations on Amelia!! What a pretty name.

Joy

Old April 30th 07, 09:16 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Jeni Steers

Congratulations on the arrival of Amelia. Sounds like you had it all in
hand!

Jeni

Birth Story - Part 1 (very long : the story, and the birth!) Zaz Pregnancy 54 December 8th 04 02:15 AM
Version Followup - Birth Announcement - Birth Story Long Mary S. Pregnancy 12 August 1st 04 04:27 PM
Birth story Angela Schepers Pregnancy 10 May 20th 04 01:22 AM
Not really a birth story, but... zeldabee Breastfeeding 21 October 1st 03 08:39 PM
An un-birth story Cheryl S. Pregnancy 14 August 19th 03 06:42 PM