Double stroller -- thoughts?

Old June 30th 07, 03:10 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Elle

Default Double stroller -- thoughts?

My two kids are 2 years 4 months, and ten weeks old. I thought we
could get away with not getting a double stroller for a variety of
reasons (I use a wrap for the baby, toddler rarely rode anyway, of
course that was before baby got here!, etc) but I think I was wrong
and life would be a lot easier if I got the double.

We live in the city, have a tiny house with a narrow walkway, steps up
to a small porch and very little storage area (no driveway or garage
etc). I'm thinking of getting a Phil and Ted's -- I like the idea that
it's also a single, so we aren't stuck with a double forever. It's
also easier to manoevre and store than the front-and-backs and double
widths. It is pricey though so I am hesitating.

I guess I'm kind of cheap LOL but we can afford the Phil and Ted's...
I don't know, I just don't want to buy something so expensive and just
use it for a couple of weeks. I can get one today with the doubles kit
for free (plus some other accessory I'm not sure which one) which is
a great deal but still $500. Maybe I will Craigslist my 2 year old
Peg Pliko so I won't feel so bad about getting a new stroller...

What kind of arrangements do you all with 2 kids use to get around?
Especially those who live in a city and are out walking a lot with the
kids in tow?

Elle

#1 and #2 are almost exactly 3 yrs apart. I think that there were about half
a dozen times when it really was necessary to have a double stroller (I
usually used the sling/stroller or stroller/buggyboard options) But it
really was necessary and would have been majorly hard without.
I got a Maclaren second hand for £35. It was in beautiful condition,
suitable from birth and came with accessories. The only thing is that it
takes a lot of storage space, which we could use.
I have used it for #2 and #3 already-when it was raining really hard and it
was great to have them both under the raincover.
Debbie

Old June 30th 07, 05:26 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Anne Rogers[_4_]

I think I'd go for it!

I also decided to get a double stroller when #2 was about 10 weeks old,
we had different decision making factors to you and got a Graco tandem
(where they are one in front of the other) and we were very happy with
it. But it definitely doesn't push as well as a 3 wheeler - I've known a
couple of people with a phil and teds and they do push very nicely!
The only slight concern was that the toddler is very low and if they
were so inclined could reach out at touch the wheels - but my friends
never had a problem with that, it was just one that came up in a review
online. I think another concern was mud getting on to the lower seat too
- probably not a problem in the city. There are several different ways
you can set it up, it's recommended for balance that the toddler is on
the bottom, but I know in the early days one of my friends had it the
other way round and preferred it that way, so if you do get it, you have
multiple options to try.

I wouldn't get rid of your other stroller, mostly, the value seems to
plummet, so if you've got the space, I'd hang on to it in case you want
to use it in future, and if you don't, it would probably sell for a
similar price anyway.

Cheers

Anne
Old June 30th 07, 08:09 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Elle

On Jun 30, 12:26 pm, Anne Rogers wrote:
The only slight concern was that the toddler is very low and if they
were so inclined could reach out at touch the wheels - but my friends
never had a problem with that, it was just one that came up in a review
online.

I saw that as well. Apparently they have fixed that, now they have
guards (mud flaps) on the rear tires. I guess that would fix both the
fingers-in-the wheels and mud splatter concerns.

I think I am going to go for it, this deal is really good ($100 off)
and I am excited about the prospect of being able to go longer
distances and also not sweat to death with the baby in the wrap in
humid 34C weather!

Thanks
Elle

Old June 30th 07, 08:17 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Elle

On Jun 30, 12:23 pm, "Welches"

#1 and #2 are almost exactly 3 yrs apart. I think that there were about half
a dozen times when it really was necessary to have a double stroller (I
usually used the sling/stroller or stroller/buggyboard options) But it
really was necessary and would have been majorly hard without.
I got a Maclaren second hand for £35. It was in beautiful condition,
suitable from birth and came with accessories. The only thing is that it
takes a lot of storage space, which we could use.
I have used it for #2 and #3 already-when it was raining really hard and it
was great to have them both under the raincover.
Debbie

Great buy on the MacLaren, that's also a popular one. I can think of
half a dozen times in the last week it would have been nice to have
one LOL! It's been super-hot and with the baby in the carrier it gets
pretty sweaty. My plan was to wear the little one on the occasions
when the two year old wanted to ride. Of course now that the baby is
here she wants to ride in the stroller all the time. She's become a
bit possessive of it. What I find is that I can only manage within a
certain radius of my house, you know? There are places I'd like to
walk to that are outside that radius, and I'm not comfortable being
out and about for hours and hours with the baby in the wrap, what if
she wants to get out or gets fussy? I don't have any options, whereas
with a stroller I can wear her for a bit as well as put her down. With
a double I can go for walks with my friends who have one baby and keep
up much better than carrying one on my body and pushing the other. I'm
really leaning towards getting it, I think I have rationalized myself
into the purchase!

Elle

Old June 30th 07, 11:40 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Anne Rogers[_4_]

I saw that as well. Apparently they have fixed that, now they have
guards (mud flaps) on the rear tires. I guess that would fix both the
fingers-in-the wheels and mud splatter concerns.

my youngest being a similar age to your oldest and the time I was
looking at this being before she was born, things have probably changed,
actually as you mention it, I seem to remember discussing this with a
friend a year plus ago and her mentioning that it had. I think the
manufacturing quality has improved too, I have a friend who was from NZ
(Phil and Teds is there, I think, if not, it's Aus) and she had it just
as a single and had brought it over to the UK with her and she'd had
some faster wear and tear issues than you'd hope, but, comparing it with
others (we had a line of them in the park!), though the design was the
same, some materials were different and the way some joints were made
was different too.

I think I am going to go for it, this deal is really good ($100 off)
and I am excited about the prospect of being able to go longer
distances and also not sweat to death with the baby in the wrap in
humid 34C weather!

I can imagine! It's not that hot here (Washington state), and it was a
couple of degrees cooler on average back in the UK, where we were for
both our children and I still found slings got a bit sticky, though they
tended to win for other reasons, it wasn't until September that we got
the tandem buggy after a month or so of looking.

Anne
Old July 2nd 07, 05:47 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Lady Penelope Creighton-Ward

On Jun 30, 10:10 am, Elle wrote:
[...]

We also have a Phil & Ted's, the Sport style, and we're very happy
with it. In fact, we probably couldn't do without it at this point.
Our kiddos are only 13 months apart, and the little one is just 3
months right now. He sits in the bottom seat and loves looking out at
the world.

When we go out people are always commenting on how ingenious the
stroller is. Indeed, we can go shopping and stroll between the aisles
just about anywhere. My husband has also used it as a single jogging
stroller with our older child, and was quite satisfied with the way it
handles. I'm not sure why they say it's not suitable for jogging -
maybe if you have the two kids in it, it's not, but otherwise it's
fine.

And yes, I can confirm that the mud guards solved the problem of
little hands getting caught in the wheel spikes...

Old July 2nd 07, 07:17 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
beyond the pale

I recently saw a "double" stroller which has a seat for a baby who can sit
up (in other words, not for newborns, for an older baby who can support
their head properly), and a place on the back for a toddler to *stand*. My
DD is 3 and will be specifically 3y7-8mo old when #2 comes. She already does
not like to ride and has not ridden in her stroller since she was about 18
months old. She does try to stand and hold on and ride on shopping carts
(something I do not let her do for safety reasons). But this has me
wondering, are these types of strollers safe? I think DD would like it- she
hates to sit down and ride, we're never out shopping or at the zoo or
something to where she's sleepy and wants to sleep while being pushed- but
sometimes she wants to be carried or can't walk fast enough and I can hardly
pick her up anymore. She's 30 pounds and I am having back pain this
pregnancy.

The way I envision one of these strollers being used is while #2 is little
enough to ride in a stroller, DD can walk with me while I push and if she
gets tired, can just stand and ride right there in front of me. But before I
shell out $100-150, I want to make sure these are reasonably safe?? I've
never seen one used before. They look good for a kid who can hold on and
behave....stand still, and prefers to stand rather than be seated...DD won't
even sit in an umbrella stroller. She fusses to be carried. Or wants to
walk.

Old July 2nd 07, 07:46 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Welches

"beyond the pale" wrote in message
[...]

Sounds similar to the buggy board we have. It's called something like "sit
'n ride".
It seemed to be safe for use, but it does make you a long way from the buggy
handles, and I know people who found it gave them backache. Actually once #2
was about a year I more often had #1 in the buggy and #2 on the board as
they both prefered that way round-#2 prefered to stand.
Debbie

Old July 2nd 07, 09:43 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Jamie Clark

[...]

Yes, they are safe, and they work well. I have a friend who has one. I
think they are called "Sit & Stand". I think the child can even turn around
and sit facing the person pushing them, at least on some models. I think
they are a good solution for the slightly older first child (beyond 2-3) who
likes to walk and be independant, but yet also is prone to getting tired and
then wanting to be strolled or carried.

I've also seen some "add-on" platforms that allow a child to stand behind
the stroller in a similar way. You just hook/clip it to the back of the
stroller and it's a platform on wheels.
--

Jamie
Earth Angels: