Double stroller -- thoughts?

Old July 4th 07, 11:16 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Elle

Default Double stroller -- thoughts?

On Jul 4, 9:30 am, "Sue" wrote:

You say you are cheap, but you are getting ready to spend $500 on a
stroller? Yeek.

That's why I'm wrestling with the idea LOL! I never thought I would
spend that much money on a piece of baby equipment. Not that it isn't
still appalling, but for clarity I am talking $500 Cdn here, not US$.
We are usually very minimalist in the baby/kid equipment department
because I have no delusions about how long the stuff actually gets
used. Mostly we've gone for hand-me downs (with 4 young girl counsins
my daughters are in line for a lot of quality used stuff) or cheap and
cheerful. We try not to get caught up in keeping up with the Jones' in
our Bugaboo-plagued neighbourhood.

How did you get out and about with your kids when you had the second
(or third) -- did you ever have two in a stroller or did you do
something else? I'm just wondering what's worked for other people.

I really didn't think I'd get a double but now that my second is 10
weeks I know I am just not going to be able to get out and around as
much as I need to without one. My other option was to get one used,
but I have only seen the front-and-back models which are way too
unwieldy to lug up my front steps and to store. It could be done, but
if I can afford the lighter more compact model I'm figuring why not,
it'll make life easier. If they were available second-hand I'd get one
that way but these just came to Canada this year so there aren't any
used ones around.

It seems like the prices for strollers have totally escalated (like
into the stratosphere) in the last couple of years.

Elle

Old July 5th 07, 01:31 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Sue

"Elle" wrote in message
That's why I'm wrestling with the idea LOL! I never thought I would
spend that much money on a piece of baby equipment. Not that it isn't
still appalling, but for clarity I am talking $500 Cdn here, not US$.

I would wrestle with it too, lol.

We are usually very minimalist in the baby/kid equipment department
because I have no delusions about how long the stuff actually gets
used. Mostly we've gone for hand-me downs (with 4 young girl counsins
my daughters are in line for a lot of quality used stuff) or cheap and
cheerful. We try not to get caught up in keeping up with the Jones' in
our Bugaboo-plagued neighbourhood.

And that's fine. I did pretty good with used stuff, but if you are going to
use it with a few kids, then paying a good price for a sturdy stroller makes
sense in the long run.

How did you get out and about with your kids when you had the second
(or third) -- did you ever have two in a stroller or did you do
something else? I'm just wondering what's worked for other people.

I had the baby in a sling and the other two in the double stroller. Once the
baby got older and could sit up, then she sat in the stroller, the oldest
would walk until she got tired, and DD2 would sit in the stroller and they
would take turns walking. I wasn't a heavy duty walker though and mainly
just used mine in the mall or walking to the park or picnics, things like
that. If you have to rely on walking as transportion, then it does make
sense to buy the Phil&Teds.

I really didn't think I'd get a double but now that my second is 10
weeks I know I am just not going to be able to get out and around as
much as I need to without one. My other option was to get one used,
but I have only seen the front-and-back models which are way too
unwieldy to lug up my front steps and to store. It could be done, but
if I can afford the lighter more compact model I'm figuring why not,
it'll make life easier. If they were available second-hand I'd get one
that way but these just came to Canada this year so there aren't any
used ones around.

It seems like the prices for strollers have totally escalated (like
into the stratosphere) in the last couple of years.

Does craigslist.org have listings for Canada? You could try that and see if
anyone is selling one at a good price.
--
Sue

Old July 6th 07, 04:44 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Nikki

"Elle" wrote in message
ps.com...

What kind of arrangements do you all with 2 kids use to get around?
Especially those who live in a city and are out walking a lot with the
kids in tow?

I have a Jeep Wrangler double umbrella stroller. Pro's - It is small,
light, easy to fold, doesn't take up much space, fits through doors, fits
fabulously in my trunk. It is also cheap Cons - each seat is only
rated for 35lbs, no snack tray for kids, pitiful sun shade (I took it off)
and it is an umbrella so while that works great for me it wouldn't be great
for consistent use on rough terrain or popping over curbs and what not.
When I push it I kick the center wheel which bugs me. However - I can push
it with one hand if I need to hold a baby for a bit.

When I go for walks around the block I have a jogger stroller. They are
easier to push and go over all kinds of ground. Mine is old so it doesn't
fold or fit through doors - not good.

--
Nikki, mama to
Hunter 4/99

Old July 6th 07, 03:29 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
sharalyns

On Jul 2, 4:11 pm, Anne Rogers wrote:
I don't think buggy board type things are available in the US, only when
you mentioned it did I notice that I hadn't seen one here.

Cheers
Anne

They are available (Target, Amazon, One Step Ahead, etc.), just almost
as expensive ($80-100) as the lower end double stroller ($115-135).
And that's not counting all the used double strollers out there on
sale in really great condition. Plus, I've found (at least in Seattle
area) that most parents use strollers period. 3, 4, 5 year olds in
strollers *all* the time, even just for a quick walk into the grocery
store. I don't know if it just starts when baby is little and moms
start walking around Green Lake or the mall or whatever and need the
baby in the stroller (although I did this with baby in the Baby Bjorn
most of the time), and then they just never think that the kid might
benefit from walking until the stroller is outgrown. And I have close
friends who "just don't want to bother to slow down for the kid", so
they're in the stroller until age 5 or so, and then they wonder why
their kid has no stamina.

I have no idea what it's like elsewhere, but in the Greater Seattle
area, strollers are just the norm, and anything *different* just isn't
thought of. Xander was almost never in the stroller (I think less than
a dozen times), and when we thought we were going to try again when he
was just over 2, I looked at the Sit 'n 'Stand and the Buggy Boards
for possible purchase versus a double stroller.

Sharalyn
mom to Alexander James

Old July 9th 07, 04:40 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
[email protected]

On Jun 30, 7:10 am, Elle wrote:
to a small porch and very little storage area (no driveway or garage
etc). I'm thinking of getting a Phil and Ted's -- I like the idea that
it's also a single, so we aren't stuck with a double forever. It's
also easier to manoevre and store than the front-and-backs and double
widths. It is pricey though so I am hesitating.

I'd been coveting the Phil&Teds for ages, and I got it as soon as I
got pregnant with Shiloh. I'd been using a used Graco that I got for
$25, so I figured that when you averaged the 2, you came out with
reasonably priced strollers... And actually, when you look at
what double strollers cost, the P&T seems to be about in the middle.

pros: It maneuvers beautifully, you don't have the laaaaaaarge turning
radius of the big doubles, you're not stuck with a double stroller
forever. I've put Micah and his friend in it, and they both like the
lower jump seat; the stroller comes with safety shields for the wheels
now, so there's less chance of little fingers getting caught.

cons: price (although as i said, I think it's actually average), the
basket is not big and once the jump seat is at the bottom, the basket
is inaccessible; the sun shade is very small, and there's a big gaping
hole when the seat's in the recline position (we clothespin a
receiving blanket over it and that works); there's no cup holder
console; I don't think the construction is super sturdy -- I think
it'll last for a few years, but this is not a stroller you'll hand
down through the generations.

Overall, I recommend this stroller. I use it every day -- I walk
everywhere (grocery store, all errands, etc.), and it's way too hot to
sling the baby right now. I *do* have to carry my grocery bag if I
get too much to fit in the bottom basket; you can buy panniers to go
with it, as well as a plethora of other accessories which I personally
think should come standard (another complaint). I plan on using it
for jogging once I start jogging (ahem). And I'd definitely buy it
again.

Em
mama to Micah, 11/14/04; Shiloh, 4/22/07

Old July 12th 07, 05:22 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Irene

On Jun 30, 9:10 am, Elle wrote:
My two kids are 2 years 4 months, and ten weeks old. I thought we
could get away with not getting a double stroller for a variety of
reasons (I use a wrap for the baby, toddler rarely rode anyway, of
course that was before baby got here!, etc) but I think I was wrong
and life would be a lot easier if I got the double.

We live in the city, have a tiny house with a narrow walkway, steps up
to a small porch and very little storage area (no driveway or garage
etc). I'm thinking of getting a Phil and Ted's -- I like the idea that
it's also a single, so we aren't stuck with a double forever. It's
also easier to manoevre and store than the front-and-backs and double
widths. It is pricey though so I am hesitating.

I guess I'm kind of cheap LOL but we can afford the Phil and Ted's...
I don't know, I just don't want to buy something so expensive and just
use it for a couple of weeks. I can get one today with the doubles kit
for free (plus some other accessory I'm not sure which one) which is
a great deal but still $500. Maybe I will Craigslist my 2 year old
Peg Pliko so I won't feel so bad about getting a new stroller...

What kind of arrangements do you all with 2 kids use to get around?
Especially those who live in a city and are out walking a lot with the
kids in tow?

Elle

Well, my older was 2.75 years when dd was born, and a BIG 2.75 years,
at that. I borrowed a double from my SIL, and hated it (couldn't
steer it, among other complaints). I ended up slinging the baby and
putting ds in the stroller most of the time. Sometimes, ds would walk
(or ride his trike) and I'd put dd in the stroller - or at times, I'd
be pushing an empty stroller, lol. (Or, pushing ds in the stroller,
carrying dd in the sling, *and* carrying a tricycle over my
shoulder!) But, I suppose I should mention that I live in the suburbs
and use a car as my primary transportation. There were only a few
times I wished I had a functional double. But, if ds had been
younger, I might have wanted the double more often...

Irene