specific nutritional needs while pregnant?

Old May 2nd 05, 04:19 PM
take two

Default specific nutritional needs while pregnant?

I know the general guideline of eating approx 300 calories more than usual
while pregnant. But are there specific dietary needs that change while
pregnant? Like more protein? I can't seem to find anything specific on the
internet, but surely there's some info somewhere. I'm still struggling with
nausea and it seems like the prenatal vitamins make it much worse. Anyone
else find this tru?

Thanks!

Old May 2nd 05, 04:35 PM
Raebo

From what I understand, you should take your prenatal vitamin before
you go to sleep (which I do) to avoid the nausea that comes with it.

As for eating, my midwife has said to just eat healthy, she didn't
mention any specific need other than iron which is provided by the
vitamin and is checked when you do blood work.

She was more concerned that I avoid sugar, like in juice, and drink
lots of water.

Best regards,
Raebo

Old May 2nd 05, 04:39 PM
Stormlady

My SIL found that the vitamins made it worse as well so her Dr. prescribed
her a type that comes in 2 pills, one to take in the a.m. and one to take in
the p.m. to help educe the sickness associated with them. My Dr. (same
practice) told me that as long as I was eating healthy to not worry about
pre-natal vitamins and just take folic acid, so that is what I did. I was
one of the lucky ones who didn't have to contend with morning sickness
though, so I don't know if maybe that was why. ie, maybe need vitamins more
if can't keep food down.

Old May 2nd 05, 04:40 PM
take two

"Raebo" wrote in message
oups.com...
From what I understand, you should take your prenatal vitamin before

you go to sleep (which I do) to avoid the nausea that comes with it.

As for eating, my midwife has said to just eat healthy, she didn't
mention any specific need other than iron which is provided by the
vitamin and is checked when you do blood work.

She was more concerned that I avoid sugar, like in juice, and drink
lots of water.

I'm sure it's pretty common sense here. I have heard things like extra
protein, extra calcium, etc. I already drink tons of milk - usually a quart
a day, so I think I should be fine there.

Old May 2nd 05, 04:44 PM
Ericka Kammerer

take two wrote:

I know the general guideline of eating approx 300 calories more than usual
while pregnant. But are there specific dietary needs that change while
pregnant? Like more protein?

Yes, nutritional needs change somewhat, including an increased
need for protein. It also varies somewhat by trimester.

I can't seem to find anything specific on the
internet, but surely there's some info somewhere.

I would highly recommend Bridget Swinney's _Eating Expectantly_.
It's an excellent book with good information broken out by trimester.
It'll answer any question you might have, and is filled with references
so you can find more information on anything you might want to question.
She also includes recipes by trimester. I think it's well worth the
investment to actually get the book.

I'm still struggling with
nausea and it seems like the prenatal vitamins make it much worse. Anyone
else find this tru?

I think that's pretty common. You might try a different brand
to see if that works better for you.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old May 2nd 05, 04:46 PM
Ericka Kammerer

take two wrote:

I'm sure it's pretty common sense here. I have heard things like extra
protein, extra calcium, etc. I already drink tons of milk - usually a quart
a day, so I think I should be fine there.

Do be a little cautious about that, as calcium tends to block
iron absorption. Iron levels tend to bottom out around 28-ish weeks,
so it's probably not critical yet, but if you're drinking milk 'round
the clock with your meals, that may present a challenge.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old May 2nd 05, 05:18 PM
Anne Rogers

Do be a little cautious about that, as calcium tends to block
iron absorption. Iron levels tend to bottom out around 28-ish weeks,
so it's probably not critical yet, but if you're drinking milk 'round
the clock with your meals, that may present a challenge.

plus iron is not in it's most absorbable form in a vitamin tablet,
personally I couldn't take them at all, it was guaranteed instant vomitting.

Anne

Old May 2nd 05, 07:26 PM
sharalyns

Try keeping your vitamins in the freezer--it reduces the smell of them,
and made them much more tolerable to me. :-)

HTH!

Sharalyn
mom to Alexander James (9/21/01)

Old May 2nd 05, 07:28 PM
sharalyns

Anne Rogers wrote:
Do be a little cautious about that, as calcium tends to block
iron absorption. Iron levels tend to bottom out around 28-ish

weeks,
so it's probably not critical yet, but if you're drinking milk

'round
the clock with your meals, that may present a challenge.

plus iron is not in it's most absorbable form in a vitamin tablet,
personally I couldn't take them at all, it was guaranteed instant

vomitting.

Anne

Get the biglycinate form of iron, and it is more readily absorbable,
very tolerable (ie, no nausea, no constipation).

Old May 2nd 05, 09:07 PM
Leslie

Read Let's Have Healthy Children by Adelle Davis for detailed info on
this! She stresses protein along with lots if different vitamins.

Leslie