Milk going sour too quickly

Old April 4th 04, 06:49 PM
Beth

Default Milk going sour too quickly

"Ellie" wrote in message
I've noticed that suddenly my EBM is going sour really quickly anybody

know
why this is? The temp of the fridge is ok.

I had that problem and think it was because of lipase levels. That's the
enzyme that digests fat, and causes the milk to curdle and taste sour and
soapy.

My milk lasted an hour in the fridge, but about three hours if never
refrigerated. It soured an hour after thawing, and the milk kept frozen at
0° F for only two months. My milk kept so poorly (and DS would not drink it
then) that I want to gag when I read here about women whose milk keeps in
the fridge for days!

You can scald the milk before storing it to denature the enzyme, but you
also diminish the immune-boosting qualities of the milk.

Beth

Old April 4th 04, 09:39 PM
CY

I have this pump and did not realize for AGES that the white valves (inside
the pump flanges or "horns") come off due to them being assembled when it
arrived. When I finally realized it, I took it apart to find dried up milk
inside. Luckily I did not ever feed my DD the pumped milk (she refused to
take a bottle!). Anyway I guess the moral to the story is are you
completely taking it apart??
"Ellie" wrote in message
It's the Ameda Lactaline Dual - aka the purely yours

I've now had it all to pieces - sterilised everything three times. Don't
know what to do next if it keeps happening.

Ellie

"CY" wrote in message
How about your pump? What kind is it???
"Ellie" wrote in message
It's not the soapy smell, I get that sometimes with thawed EBM and thw

twins
take it fine - it's really sour and twins won't take it. Fortunately

DH
had
extra to give them that day so we were ok. I'm not doing anything

different
to what I normally do so I can't understand it, I guess we'll have to

see
what happens.

Ellie

Old April 5th 04, 08:43 AM
Linz

On Sun, 4 Apr 2004 12:49:26 -0500, "Beth"
wrote:

"Ellie" wrote in message
I've noticed that suddenly my EBM is going sour really quickly anybody

know
why this is? The temp of the fridge is ok.

I had that problem and think it was because of lipase levels. That's the
enzyme that digests fat, and causes the milk to curdle and taste sour and
soapy.

My milk lasted an hour in the fridge, but about three hours if never
refrigerated. It soured an hour after thawing, and the milk kept frozen at
0° F for only two months. My milk kept so poorly (and DS would not drink it
then) that I want to gag when I read here about women whose milk keeps in
the fridge for days!

Ah, not just me then! DS is highly unimpressed with my soapy milk, and
it goes soapy very quickly.

You can scald the milk before storing it to denature the enzyme, but you
also diminish the immune-boosting qualities of the milk.

Okay, how do I scald milk?
--
Linz
YB: 5 months, 17lbs
Old April 5th 04, 08:50 PM
Beth

"Linz" wrote in message
Okay, how do I scald milk?

I never had to do it with human milk, but think that there must be
instructions out there. When scalding cow's milk, you simply bring it to a
nearly seething stage and then take it off the heat, before it scorches. I
would bet that one would also want to rapidly cool scalded human milk.

Beth

Old April 6th 04, 02:06 AM
Akuvikate

wrote:

You can scald the milk before storing it to denature the enzyme, but you
also diminish the immune-boosting qualities of the milk.

Okay, how do I scald milk?

What I do is put it in the smallest saucepan we have and heat it just
until it's barely bubbling at the edges. You have to keep a pretty
close eye on it because it doesn't take long, and it progresses from
that stage to a full boil pretty quickly.

Kate
and the Bug, 10 months
Old April 6th 04, 07:36 PM
Ellie

"CY" wrote in message
I have this pump and did not realize for AGES that the white valves

(inside
the pump flanges or "horns") come off due to them being assembled when it
arrived. When I finally realized it, I took it apart to find dried up

milk
inside. Luckily I did not ever feed my DD the pumped milk (she refused to
take a bottle!). Anyway I guess the moral to the story is are you
completely taking it apart??

Yes it's completely taken apart and cleaned each time I pump - and I've
opened a fresh pack of valves just in case although the ones that were on
haven't been on long - I do a lot of pumping because of my work!

Ellie

Old April 6th 04, 07:57 PM
Zucca4

Does scalding destroy any of the immunity-boosting (not sure if I'm
articulating properely...) properties of breast milk?