Starting solids....

Old October 20th 05, 04:38 PM

Default Starting solids....

Child wrote:
We arent' planning on anything but EBM until 6 months, but starting to
formulate my philosophy on this. Suspect doctor will encourage us to start
with rice cereal, but know that many of you smart people think food is
better. I obviously understand the reasoning behind adding a single food at
a time - we have allergies in the family but I am not sure what would be
inherently less allergenic about rice cereal than a bit of mashed sweet
potato or banana. I am willing to bet banana or sweet potato taste a
crapload better than rice cereal too.

So tell me, Smart People. What do you think is best?

I don't know about being a Smart Person but we started with an
oatmeal/rice blend cereal. My daughter likes it (I tried it myself,
it's not bad), it is easy to make in small quantities and we could
thicken it up as she got better with the spoon. We did that for a
couple of weeks till she got used to the process and then introduced
things like squash, carrots, green beans, applesauce, pears, banana.
When you start the solids you'll be able to tell whether you should
stick to purees for a bit or if your baby is ready for chunkier table
foods.

Old October 24th 05, 07:39 PM
Patagonia

"Child" wrote in message
We arent' planning on anything but EBM until 6 months, but starting to
formulate my philosophy on this. Suspect doctor will encourage us to
start with rice cereal, but know that many of you smart people think food
is better. I obviously understand the reasoning behind adding a single
food at a time - we have allergies in the family but I am not sure what
would be inherently less allergenic about rice cereal than a bit of mashed
sweet potato or banana. I am willing to bet banana or sweet potato taste
a crapload better than rice cereal too.

So tell me, Smart People. What do you think is best?

With ds, we started with rice cereal, which he did *not* like. Our ped
suggested we add a bit of carrot to it to make it taste less like paste ;-)
and then ds went after it with gusto!

Old October 25th 05, 01:22 AM
Child

Thank you everyone for all the solids starting advice!!

Old October 25th 05, 03:00 AM
Melania

Default Unexpected solids intro WAS: Starting solids . . .

Child wrote:
We arent' planning on anything but EBM until 6 months, but starting to
formulate my philosophy on this. Suspect doctor will encourage us to start
with rice cereal, but know that many of you smart people think food is
better. I obviously understand the reasoning behind adding a single food at
a time - we have allergies in the family but I am not sure what would be
inherently less allergenic about rice cereal than a bit of mashed sweet
potato or banana. I am willing to bet banana or sweet potato taste a
crapload better than rice cereal too.

So tell me, Smart People. What do you think is best?

Heh - we were out for sushi tonight, and ds#2 (5 mo) was being really
grouchy, and the waitress brought us a little dish of ripe avocado on
the house for him. I figured it might be interesting and cool on his
gums, so I grabbed a piece and let him suck/munch on it. He was utterly
disgusted! But he has the chewing method down. I think in my mind this
will be his first solids experience, instead of the french fry dh's
aunt let him suck on at 3 mo (boy was I not impressed).

So, scratch avocado for the time being. In another 3 weeks or so, we'll
start cereal with bmilk and bananas, and take it from there.

Melania

Old October 25th 05, 11:58 AM
Sue

"Melania" wrote in message
Heh - we were out for sushi tonight, and ds#2 (5 mo) was being really
grouchy, and the waitress brought us a little dish of ripe avocado on
the house for him. I figured it might be interesting and cool on his
gums, so I grabbed a piece and let him suck/munch on it. He was utterly
disgusted!

I can't say I blame him, avocado is horrible, imo anyway. )
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old October 26th 05, 12:03 AM
Melania

Sue wrote:
"Melania" wrote in message
Heh - we were out for sushi tonight, and ds#2 (5 mo) was being really
grouchy, and the waitress brought us a little dish of ripe avocado on
the house for him. I figured it might be interesting and cool on his
gums, so I grabbed a piece and let him suck/munch on it. He was utterly
disgusted!

I can't say I blame him, avocado is horrible, imo anyway. )
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

I love avocado, and so did ds#1, right from the start. DH used to say,
"don't eat that stuff, kid, don't let her do it to you!"

Looks as though we may have gotten one now who takes more after dad!

Melania

Old October 26th 05, 12:37 AM
Child

"Melania" wrote in message
ups.com...

Child wrote:
[...]

LOL!! I personally believe avacado is an aquired taste. All the more reason
to start early!

Old October 26th 05, 12:38 AM
Child

"Melania" wrote in message
oups.com...

Sue wrote:
"Melania" wrote in message
Heh - we were out for sushi tonight, and ds#2 (5 mo) was being really
grouchy, and the waitress brought us a little dish of ripe avocado on
the house for him. I figured it might be interesting and cool on his
gums, so I grabbed a piece and let him suck/munch on it. He was utterly
disgusted!

I can't say I blame him, avocado is horrible, imo anyway. )
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

I love avocado, and so did ds#1, right from the start. DH used to say,
"don't eat that stuff, kid, don't let her do it to you!"

Looks as though we may have gotten one now who takes more after dad!

My goal is to avoid a child that only eats like his father (potatos, corn,
meat, bread) at all costs. But i think they come somewhat hard wired, dont'
they?

Old October 26th 05, 03:48 AM
Melania

Child wrote:
"Melania" wrote in message
oups.com...

Sue wrote:
"Melania" wrote in message
Heh - we were out for sushi tonight, and ds#2 (5 mo) was being really
grouchy, and the waitress brought us a little dish of ripe avocado on
the house for him. I figured it might be interesting and cool on his
gums, so I grabbed a piece and let him suck/munch on it. He was utterly
disgusted!

I can't say I blame him, avocado is horrible, imo anyway. )
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

I love avocado, and so did ds#1, right from the start. DH used to say,
"don't eat that stuff, kid, don't let her do it to you!"

Looks as though we may have gotten one now who takes more after dad!

My goal is to avoid a child that only eats like his father (potatos, corn,
meat, bread) at all costs. But i think they come somewhat hard wired, dont'
they?

I think you're right - ds#1 won't eat raw fruit, ANY raw fruit, under
any circumstances. He'll eat some raw vegetables, but he prefers them
cooked. Lucky for me, dh has an adventurous palate, too. Tonight we had
chicken in chocolate mole with roasted beets, sweet potato, and purple
yams, and they both ate everything without complaint. Ds#1 also learned
about marinades . . . so far I've got a boy who's interested in
cooking!

Melania

misc.kids FAQ on Starting Solid Foods [email protected] Info and FAQ's 0 April 17th 04 12:24 PM
Starting solids in about 2 weeks (OT?) Kathy Breastfeeding 18 March 4th 04 05:14 PM
Starting solids Kereru General 19 February 5th 04 09:07 PM
misc.kids FAQ on Starting Solid Foods [email protected] Info and FAQ's 0 January 16th 04 09:15 AM
Child Mag article on starting solids Molly Ging Breastfeeding 9 January 14th 04 03:09 AM