Feeding more with cold?

Old October 21st 05, 11:21 AM
Sidheag McCormack

Default Feeding more with cold?

hooferoo writes:

It's something I hadn't really considered when thinking about the pros
of bf'ing. The whole AP theory isn't for me and as it turns out, for
most of the time, a dummy works well for ds for comforting sucking to
help naps. But to be able to soothe him in the middle of the night so
easily rather than pat/shh.. is marvellous. I realise he actually needs
food in this instance but there was one night where he just woke up
screaming and only a bf would calm him, so hurrah for bf'ing.

Yes! DS is almost two, and doesn't breastfeed so much any more or usually
seem to find it so important, but a few days ago he had a bug of some kind
and was feverish and miserable for a day. He went off solid food completely
and didn't have the energy to play, but he was content to cuddle and
endlessly breastfeed. Not for the first time, I thought hurrah for
child-led weaning, too - both our lives would have been harder at that time
had he not still been breastfeeding.

Sidheag
DS Colin Oct 27 2003

Old October 21st 05, 12:19 PM

Sidheag McCormack wrote:
hooferoo writes:

[...]

I'm interested to see where I am when ds is a year old. I go back to
work then and had planned to have him weaned completely. However, I am
starting to come around to the idea of child-led weaning - particularly
as he won't be on so many feeds as he is now so it won't be too much of
an issue being at work.

Keeping meaning to sort my sig with this in. The hat ones are around 13
weeks.

http://www.fuzzyblobs.com/pics/index...bum=theboy%2F&

Jeni

Old October 21st 05, 02:29 PM
Sidheag McCormack

hooferoo writes:

I'm interested to see where I am when ds is a year old. I go back to
work then and had planned to have him weaned completely. However, I am
starting to come around to the idea of child-led weaning - particularly
as he won't be on so many feeds as he is now so it won't be too much of
an issue being at work.

FWIW, here's how it worked for us. I went back to work when DS was 10.5
months old. I planned to send expressed breast milk with him until he was a
year, then switch him to having cow's milk at nursery. In the event, he was
on EBM for a couple of months longer, because he turned out to be sensitive
to dairy (fortunately, swiftly outgrown). I couldn't pump for toffee,
though, and quickly settled for sending only one bottle (later cup) of
about 4oz with him. That was fine: he ate solids well, drank water, and
breastfed a lot at home. By the time he was 14 months he was able to drink
cow's milk at nursery and I was able to give up pumping. Maybe if your DS
is starting nursery at a year, and doesn't have dairy sensitivities, you
could avoid the EBM/formula question altogether and have him drink water
and cow's milk and eat solids at nursery from the beginning? (I did get
mastitis at one stage when I did a too-sudden decrease in the amount of
pumping I was doing - be careful about that, if you end up in the same
situation!)

As you say, though, you have to see how it goes...

Sidheag
DS Colin Oct 27 2003