Acid Reflux, Nursing, toothdecay in a 19mo old

Old October 21st 05, 05:24 PM
PFMom

Default Acid Reflux, Nursing, toothdecay in a 19mo old

I have a 19 month old son, who I am still nursing. I brush his teeth,
but really haven't had the energy to do so regularly.

The other day I noticed a dark spot on his front teeth. I got a mirror
and looked at the back of those front teeth and found decay. I made a
dentist appointment.

I asked the dentist if it was because I was nursing at night and should
I stop? He said absoulutly not. The decay isn't because of extended
nursing or night nursing. The problem he says is acid reflux. My son
is regurgitating and the acid is eating away at the enamal on his
teeth.

The dentist is going to attempt to fill the decayed areas and he's very
sure he can do it. The reason he says attempt and sure he can is
because of my noncooperative son and he may not be able to get in and
do what he needs to do. He then said that I need to keep my son's
teeth immaculatly clean. If after he repairs my son's teeth and I keep
them clean, there should be no further problems.

But, now I'm worried about the acid reflux. He didn't spit up much as
an infant. He stopped spitting up at 6 months. I've not noticed any
regurgitation or any signs of reflux (other than the teeth problem).

Can someone shead some light on acid reflux in toddlers and what I can
do to reduce it? Should I call my doctor about it or is this something
I should try to just handle via diet first? He isn't a big eater and
I'm wondering if acid reflux is the reason why. His diet mostly is
veggies, carrots, tomatos, mac and cheese, bananas etc etc. He doesn't
drink much juice, mostly water. He nurses 3 times a day, sometimes more
if he's not feeling well.

I don't want my poor baby to have rotten teeth and I don't want him to
have a touchy stomach. :-(

Old October 21st 05, 08:10 PM
Anne Rogers

personally if the dentist had said that to me and I had not noticed anything
before, I'd be going straight to the doctors.

Anne

Old October 22nd 05, 02:32 AM
PFMom

I have a doctor appointment set up for next week.