frustrated with Doctor. Am I rightfullt so? (a bit long, but needhelp!)

Old May 24th 04, 09:09 PM
Jamie Clark

Default frustrated with Doctor. Am I rightfullt so? (a bit long, but need

Me. : )
--

Jamie & Taylor
Earth Angel, 1/3/03

Check out Taylor Marlys -- www.MyFamily.com, User ID: Clarkguest1,
Password: Guest
Password

Check out our Adoption Page at http://home.earthlink.net/~jamielee6

"Vicki S" wrote in message
om...
(Hillary Israeli) wrote:
Every single visibly pregnant woman, mare, ewe, cow, bitch, queen or doe

have ever seen has had a lump on her abdomen!!

I know the other ones, but what female mammal is a queen?!?

--
-- Vicki
Married DH May 21, 1995. Ima shel Sullen, born 11/16/99;

Old May 24th 04, 09:24 PM
Hillary Israeli

In ,
Donna wrote:

* A cat!
*
*No kidding. I was wondering the same thing.

Sorry, I didn't know it was not common knowledge.

*While we're on the subject.... my latin is a bit rusty. Does your sig
*translate to "A cow is divided into four parts."? grin

The UDDER of a cow is divided into four parts

Old May 24th 04, 10:43 PM
Jamie Clark

"Hillary Israeli" wrote in message
In ,
Donna wrote:

* A cat!
*
*No kidding. I was wondering the same thing.

Sorry, I didn't know it was not common knowledge.

*While we're on the subject.... my latin is a bit rusty. Does your sig
*translate to "A cow is divided into four parts."? grin

The UDDER of a cow is divided into four parts

Ooh, good. To us non-veterinary peoples, that makes SOOOOO much more sense!

Old May 25th 04, 12:33 AM
zolw

Default frustrated with Doctor. Am I rightfullt so? (a bit long, butneed help!)

I do have a book on pregnancy (What to expect when you're expecting).
But I feel that the questions I ask have not been discussed in the book.

Donna wrote:
"zolw" wrote in message

Oh yeah, he sure is sensible, but it really would have been much better
f he would have explained it to me like you just did. He just kept
repeating that I should come 6 weeks after delivery. Then had to ask
him, well what is the routine, do you install it right after delivery or
after these 6 weeks have passed. That is when he decided to give me an
answer. I am not sure that it is right to have to drag words out of his
mouth. I am glad he knows what he is doing, but I do not always have
answers to gynocological questions & it is his job to explain them to me.

Mona, a lot of the questions you seem to be needing extended answers to are
fairly basic, and can be found in almost any good pregnancy reference. Do
you have a book on pregnancy?

Donna

Old May 25th 04, 02:18 AM
Ericka Kammerer

zolw wrote:

I do have a book on pregnancy (What to expect when you're expecting).
But I feel that the questions I ask have not been discussed in the book.

I know that's one of the most popular books, but
frankly, it's not a very good one. There's a lot of
misinformation in it, and it's more a how-to-be-a-compliant-
patient book than something that will give you more
information or a different perspective that will allow
you to think critically about your doctor's advice.
Personally, I would recommend something like
Henci Goer's _The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better
Birth_ or Enkins, et al.'s _Guide to Effective Care in
Pregnancy and Childbirth_.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old May 25th 04, 03:55 AM
Jamie Clark

I am a book person, and a knowledge gatherer, so I tend to get 5-8 books on
any particular topic, read them all, then use what info I can, and discard
the rest. I did it with my pregnancies, my infertility, my pg losses, my
adoption, and now my baby. One book -- pish tosh! Get at least 4 more,
with different viewpoints!

And, WTEWYE sucks. HATED IT. Threw it away, wouldn't even lend it out!
Yuck.

Old May 25th 04, 12:40 PM
Hillary Israeli

In . net,
Jamie Clark wrote:

*"Hillary Israeli" wrote in message
*
* The UDDER of a cow is divided into four parts
*
*Ooh, good. To us non-veterinary peoples, that makes SOOOOO much more sense!

OK, BE that way

Seriously, it's actually kind of interesting if you are interested in
lactation, and I'm sure lots of readers here are, so I will expound a tiny
bit.

Anatomically speaking, a mammary gland is the teat plus all of the ducts
that open into that teat. A mare has 4 ductal systems, but only 2 teats,
whereas a cow has 4 ductal systems and 4 teats. This is useful because if
there is an infection in one quarter of the cow, you can treat it by
infusing through the teat, and it doesn't communicate with the other
quarters. The cow also has a septum between the left and right halves of
the udder, so you could if you had to remove the left half of the udder
cleanly (say, to treat a gangrenous mastitis in a breeding animal) - but
there is no such clear-cut division between the cranial and caudal halves
of the udder, so if you just wanted to amputate say the cranial right hand
quarter, you'd probably end up cutting some of the ducts of the caudal
right quarter.

Pigs, if you're still reading, have double duct systems like the mare,
with two sets of ducts per teat. Bitches have even more duct systems per
teat.

I have some notes on this sort of stuff he
http://www.hillary.net/school/spring...o.lec.04.30.97

I see a questionable statement in there from my repro professor though
She said "in humans, it is quite normal not to see any milk secretion til
about a day after parturition. usually, human infants are supplemented
with water or glucose water during that first day while waiting for milk
to come in."

Old May 25th 04, 02:12 PM
Sophie

"Jamie Clark" wrote in message
ink.net...
I am a book person, and a knowledge gatherer, so I tend to get 5-8 books

on
any particular topic, read them all, then use what info I can, and discard
the rest. I did it with my pregnancies, my infertility, my pg losses, my
adoption, and now my baby. One book -- pish tosh! Get at least 4 more,
with different viewpoints!

And, WTEWYE sucks. HATED IT. Threw it away, wouldn't even lend it out!
Yuck.
--

Jamie & Taylor
Earth Angel, 1/3/03

I hate it when people try to recommend pregnancy books to me and they say
that one. How do you nicely tell someone their fave book is crap?? Lol.

Old May 25th 04, 03:40 PM
JoFromOz

Ok, to follow up from my 'bold' statement earlier...

I have spoken to several people at work (doctors and other experienced
midwives) who all seem to agree that placental insufficiency is not carried
over onto the next pregnancy unless there is a reason (maternal age,
smoking, etc). And... certainly not carried over to siblings! The only
reason we sort of came up with is if a woman has an immune disorder where
her body semi rejects the placenta ( as suspected as a possible cause of
preeclampsia).

As for a woman who does not go into labour... how long did she wait before
deciding to induce? Many inductions are 'failed' due to being done too
early.

HTH

Jo(RM)

JoFromOz wrote:
ooh, I just read something interesting - placental insufficiency is
protective against prostate cancer in the baby throughout life!

I will talk to the consultant OBs at work about this - I've honestly
never heard of P.I. being more likely in subsequent pregnancies. I
have, however heard of IUGR being more likely, most probably due to
lifestyle factors.

I'm not working again 'till Monday, but I'll get back when I find out
for you.

However, I don't see how seeing two doctors can avoid problems if
there is P.I...

Jo (RM)

zolw wrote:
That's actually not true. My sister had 3 pregnancies (2 children,
since she lost one of them in the 9th month) & in all 3 cases she had
placenta insufficiency. Actually the doctors (she was seeing 2
doctors at te same time, to avoid having the same problem as with her
unborn child) all agreed that if a woman has placenta insufficiency
once, she is at much higher risk to have it every time.

JoFromOz wrote:

Placental insufficiency in one pregnancy has nothing to do with the
health of the placenta in subsequent pregnancies, let alone a
pregnancy in another woman. It is also not that uncommon for
inductions to fail when a woman isn't ready to go into labour.

I really think that your sister's placental problems have anything
to do with you. That placenta was formed when the fertilised egg
implanted into her uterus... The body doesn't make the same placenta
twice

Jo (RM)

Welches wrote:

zolw wrote in message

yes, my sister has a condition called placenta insufficiency.
Apparently her placenta ages quickly. At the same time, she does
not get contractions or go into labor, even after induction. I
have already told my doctor about that (the first few
appointments I tried to give him as much family history as
possible. I have an aunt who would miscarriage every single
pregnancy at 6 months. Never had a child. My mom menopaused at
the age of 38. So, I thought all that may be real important for
him to know), he just said ok. Didn't even jot it down or
anything.

I probably should mention it to him once more.

I wonder whether he might think it's appropriate to check (via u/s)
the placenta in 8th month. (apparently they can do this) Remind him
about your sister, and ask him whether it would be a good idea.
Might be a good idea to see if your insurance would cover this.
Suspect the aunt's problems were unrelated, and genetically she's
probably considered far enough from you not to be concerned-and
you're past 6 months :-)
Maybe if you haven't insurance for it you might think it was worth
paying to check the placenta?
I don't know whether there is any genetic aspect in placenta
insufficiency-maybe that would be a good point to start-by asking
your doctor that.
Debbie

Old May 25th 04, 04:02 PM
Mary W.

JoFromOz wrote:

As for a woman who does not go into labour... how long did she wait before
deciding to induce? Many inductions are 'failed' due to being done too
early.

My mom was one of these! She was induced with each one of us (4 babies)
sometime before 42 weeks. With her last (my sister), she was determined
to go into labor on her own- and she did at a little past 42 weeks.
Then labor stalled at the hospital and she agreed to whatever it was
they gave you back then to get things going.

Isn't it Monica (Larry's wife) that went over 43 weeks with both
of hers?

Mary