Is this normal???

Old June 15th 04, 11:09 AM
Alissa

Default Is this normal???

I didn't breast feed my DD the first 6 weeks because she couldn't latch for
ages so all this is new too me...
We called him cranky pants because the first few days he was before my milk
came in...
Now he is one happy camper and is feeding really well but can go anywhere
from 4-6 hours between feeds, urine output is good, pooing little bits each
feed....
Is it because I have SO much milk at the moment? I figure once the supply
settles down, esp with him feeding so infrequently he will have to wake more
often...I just think 6 hours is way too long...
Alissa

Old June 15th 04, 04:59 PM
Shelly

"Alissa" wrote in message
I didn't breast feed my DD the first 6 weeks because she couldn't latch

for
ages so all this is new too me...
We called him cranky pants because the first few days he was before my

milk
came in...
Now he is one happy camper and is feeding really well but can go anywhere
from 4-6 hours between feeds, urine output is good, pooing little bits

each
feed....
Is it because I have SO much milk at the moment? I figure once the supply
settles down, esp with him feeding so infrequently he will have to wake

more
often...I just think 6 hours is way too long...
Alissa

How old is your baby, Alissa? For the first month or so, DS would sleep up
to 6 hours, too. During the day, I would wake him up for a feeding at the 3
hour mark, based on the hospital's suggestions. From what I understand, they
recommended waking him at the 3 hour mark both to build my supply and
because babies at that age don't rouse from their sleep even if they are
experiencing hunger pains. At night, I would let him sleep 6 hours if that
was what he wanted to do. Now, at 12 weeks, I WISH I could get him to sleep
6 hours straight on a regular basis.

-Michelle and Owen 3/17/04

Old June 15th 04, 05:11 PM
Alissa

"Shelly" wrote in message

"Alissa" wrote in message
[...]

he is only a week old, I'm sitting here waiting for him to wake, it's been

5 hrs and he stirs but just goes back to sleep, I am worried how this will
effect my supply. He has put on weight after the initial weight loss, I
think I'll go weigh him again in the morning, surely if he is has put on
more he shouldn't be hungry, mind you he wakes up ravenous when he finally
wakes.I am sure too this long sleep pattern won't last, I was just wondering
if it was common at first?
Alissa

Old June 15th 04, 05:23 PM
Shelly

"Alissa" wrote in message

he is only a week old, I'm sitting here waiting for him to wake, it's

been
5 hrs and he stirs but just goes back to sleep, I am worried how this will
effect my supply. He has put on weight after the initial weight loss, I
think I'll go weigh him again in the morning, surely if he is has put on
more he shouldn't be hungry, mind you he wakes up ravenous when he finally
wakes.I am sure too this long sleep pattern won't last, I was just

wondering
if it was common at first?
Alissa

Yes, I think it is quite common for the newborns. I don't know for sure
whether it can affect your supply, but the lactation consultant at our
hospital said it could, so we opted for waking the little guy every three
hours. It was so hard to get him to wake up sometimes, though! Tickling the
back of his neck and the bottoms of his feet sometimes worked, but somehow
felt a tad sadistic to me. Often, undressing him (even removing his diaper)
helped. I'd loosely wrap a cloth diaper around him to avoid messes. Wiping
him down with a wet washcloth almost always worked. My mom, on the other
hand, said she never woke her babies up to eat, and her supply was never
affected. I'm not sure whether she was just lucky, or maybe the LC was just
being overly cautious.

HTH!
-Michelle

Old June 15th 04, 05:45 PM
Angela Schepers

WOW, I can't get my baby to sleep more than 3 hours at a time and he's
almost 6 weeks, and most of the time it's closer to 2 hours during the
day. But my DS doesn't seem to want to sleep a whole lot,
unfortunately... I wish I had your problem but you're right, 6 hours is
too long. You should probably get him up every 3-4 hours to eat.

Old June 15th 04, 10:58 PM
A&G&K

"Alissa" wrote in message

"Shelly" wrote in message

"Alissa" wrote in message
[...]

I think its probably OK at this stage, but if you are worried or engorged,
undress him a little and tickle his ears and feet to wake him up for a feed.
Since he is putting on weight and has sufficient wet nappies he's probably
doing OK.
Do you have a manual pump? If you are worried about your supply, try
pumping between feeds ... it will also help to build up a handy freezer
stash.

If it were me with a baby that was putting on weight and having plenty of
wet nappies in a day (6-8) I'd enjoy the sleepiness while it lasts and pump
to help my supply. If I was really worried, I'd go and see my wonderful LC
(Lactation Consultant) or ring the ABA (even if you are not a member they'll
help you out). You're in Sydney right? The ABA no is: (02) 9639 8686 for
NSW or see their website: http://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/
FWIW - I never take any notice of the infant nurses in this area - neither
of them have had kids nor are they particularly knowledgeable about
breastfeeding. I found my LC at my local chemist and she visits once a week
and does all the same weights and measures as the child health centre, as
well as actually giving out good advice on bf. Ask around your area or ask
your local ABA if there is a good health nurse near you.

Amanda

--
DD 15th August 2002
1 tiny angel Nov 2003