Doula Dilemma

Old January 17th 09, 04:09 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
MarieD[_2_]

Default Doula Dilemma

"Kat" wrote in message ...
So... I looked into a doula for some kind of support/coach type thing...
And so I'm not sitting around like some pathetic loser by myself in the
hospital to have a baby all by myself... I looked into doulas and
originally found they're far too expensive for me to manage. They seem to
average around $500 or so, give or take, and coming up with that kind of
money for one or two days is not something I could do, even if I wanted
to. I ended up finding some contacts for volunteer doulas. The ones I
found are all free. Some are either in training and volunteer for births
for their training, some are already certified and volunteer for very low
income single mothers or couples with very low income. I, fortunately,
fall into the category for the income and single mom part, and I don't
really mind if a doula is certified or if they're still in training.

Have you worked all this out yet? If not, did you narrow your list down?
How's it going?
Marie

Old January 17th 09, 06:42 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Kat

"MarieD" wrote in message
"Kat" wrote in message ...
[...]

I think so. I met with one lady I had emailed back and forth with. She
sounded great in her emails and then on Wednesday afternoon (I think it
was?) she came here and we chatted for an hour and a half or so. I really
do like her, and I was going to email her today to ask her if she would be
willing to be my doula. She's a younger lady, very pleasant and nice.
She's also very relaxed and calm - even her voice, I mean. Like soothing,
but not boring and put you to sleep kind of voice LOL Kind of comforting?
She seems real nice and good. She also has 2 younger children of her own,
has been at 8 births so far and is certified. She does, however, have a
client due a couple weeks after me, but she said that this woman is on her
first pregnancy and is a routine, basic pregnancy, but she DOES have a
backup doula just in case. I know I will not really go over my due date as
my OB tends to love the scheduling of C-sections when I'm not even really
over due by any means. So, for me, this one will come a little early or
I'll definitely be doing the castor oil thing again if it comes down to
already having a date/time set for the OR for a c-section!
Again, I was going to email her today but then other things came up and I
wasn't able to yet.

doula volunteering Anne Rogers[_4_] Pregnancy 3 March 10th 08 03:43 PM
Finding a Doula JodiSue Pregnancy 1 March 17th 07 07:48 PM
Doula? Brigid Pregnancy 21 February 24th 06 05:51 PM
Doula questions Auntie Bubbles Pregnancy 2 February 5th 04 08:54 PM
Found a doula Em Pregnancy 1 September 17th 03 07:34 PM