sterilization reversal

Old October 28th 05, 10:14 AM
Anne Rogers

Default sterilization reversal

http://tinyurl.com/86kgv

1.8% of women go through a reversal and 2.4% of men and that's those who go
through it rather than want to.

Certainly leaves it a topic for consideration rather than black and white.

Anne

Old October 28th 05, 12:59 PM
Sue

"Anne Rogers" wrote in message
1.8% of women go through a reversal and 2.4% of men and that's those who

go through it rather than want to.

Certainly leaves it a topic for consideration rather than black and white.

Of course, that's why couples need to really discuss the issue and make sure
they understand that it is permanent. They also need to discuss the "what if
scenarios" to fully understand what they are about to do. If there is any
doubt what so ever, then another method or waiting is definitely optimal.
Also, for married couples, the spouse has to sign a consent and/or be
counseled before the procedure takes place (at least in the practice that we
chose). Nothing is ever black and white, but there are lots of people who
undergo the procedure of sterilization and have no regrets or even think
about reversing it. Take my BIL for example, at age 20 he decided he did not
want to ever be a father and he received a vasectomy at that age. He is 52
now and has never regretted the decision and he ended up being married
twice. So his situation changed, but his decision to never have kids didn't.
There are some people, Anne, that really know their mind and what they want
to do. It's the people who are wishy washy about what they feel, that a
permanent solution will not be the correct answer for them. I think it's a
wonderful thing that people have so many options open to them.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old October 28th 05, 01:09 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Anne Rogers wrote:
http://tinyurl.com/86kgv

1.8% of women go through a reversal and 2.4% of men and that's those who go
through it rather than want to.

Certainly leaves it a topic for consideration rather than black and white.

Well, that's a heck of a lot better than the statistics
for "marriage reversal" ;-) Looks not so bad to me as a success
rate for a major life decision.

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old October 28th 05, 04:23 PM
Cuddlefish

Anne Rogers wrote:
http://tinyurl.com/86kgv

1.8% of women go through a reversal and 2.4% of men and that's those who go
through it rather than want to.

Certainly leaves it a topic for consideration rather than black and white.

Anne

No not really - those are still very small numbers. Given the changes
people go through in their lives, marriages, health, opinions etc. I am
surprised those numbers aren't bigger.

The vast majority of people who choose sterilisation do so after lots of
thought and consultation. I doubt they do it thinking it is not meant to
be permanent.

Jacqueline
Old October 28th 05, 10:44 PM
V.

"Ericka Kammerer" wrote in message
Anne Rogers wrote:
http://tinyurl.com/86kgv

1.8% of women go through a reversal and 2.4% of men and that's those who
go through it rather than want to.

Certainly leaves it a topic for consideration rather than black and
white.

Well, that's a heck of a lot better than the statistics
for "marriage reversal" ;-) Looks not so bad to me as a success
rate for a major life decision.

Best wishes,
Ericka

LOL! How true...

My BIL is 30 and just had a vasectomy, but had to convince the Dr. and my
sister had to consent. My sis has awful migraines (PMS triggered) and had
cervical cancer last year. She tried to talk the doc into doing a full
hysterectomy when she had the cervical surgery but they refused due to her
age and that she might change her mind about not wanting children. As it
turns out they had to remove so much cervix it could be dangerous for her to
try to carry a pregnancy to term, but they still won't do the hysterectomy
even though it's possible it would help her migraines.
My sis and BIL have always known they don't want children (even before
meeting each other), but people keep trying to convince them they will
change their minds, especially now that I'm pregnant. I'm glad they know
themselves well enough to make it a conscious choice and not bow to social
pressure. They're great people, but fully acknowledge that they are too
self-absorbed and materialistic to raise children! Too bad people don't
respect their right and ability to make that decision for themselves.
It is a serious decision, and certainly no one should do it that hasn't
given it full consideration, but I think that people have the right to make
that decision without others questioning them about it.

Amy

Old October 29th 05, 11:34 AM
Mum of Two

"Cuddlefish" wrote in message
Anne Rogers wrote:
http://tinyurl.com/86kgv

1.8% of women go through a reversal and 2.4% of men and that's those who
go through it rather than want to.

Certainly leaves it a topic for consideration rather than black and
white.

Anne

No not really - those are still very small numbers. Given the changes
people go through in their lives, marriages, health, opinions etc. I am
surprised those numbers aren't bigger.

The vast majority of people who choose sterilisation do so after lots of
thought and consultation. I doubt they do it thinking it is not meant to
be permanent.

Especially if they've got it done by a reputable doctor. My mother used to
do vasectomy counselling for a doctor who wouldn't operate on patients who
hadn't been seen by her or one of her colleagues. They would never try to
change someone's mind, but they would make sure they were fully informed,
and had to ask the hard questions, like whether they think they would want
to try for another baby if something happened to one of their children.
There are some people who think of it as a reversable operation, but it
shouldn't be viewed as such...if you want and get a successful reversal,
you're one of the lucky ones.
OTOH, a friend of mine had her tubes tied on the operating table during a
c-section to deliver her premature baby. It was something she consented to,
but it was hardly informed - she didn't expect her baby to die, for one.
*That* was incredibly irresponsible on the part of the surgeon, IMO. Major
decisions like that shouldn't be made at such an emotional time.

--
Amy
Mum to Carlos born sleeping 20/11/02,

Old October 29th 05, 01:08 PM

If we decide to go the permanent sterilization route, then I have
volunteered to be the one that is sterilized. My reasoning is that I'm
getting older and I would only be sacrificing a few years of my
fertility. My husband on the other hand, would be giving up many more
years of his fertility, simply because he's a man. Who knows what the
future holds, something may happen to me and my husband may end up
marrying a much younger woman when he's 50. They may want to have a
child together. I hate the though of DH with another woman, but I also
hate the thought of him ever being unhappy.

Mandy

Old October 29th 05, 01:16 PM
Mum of Two

wrote in message
oups.com...
If we decide to go the permanent sterilization route, then I have
volunteered to be the one that is sterilized. My reasoning is that I'm
getting older and I would only be sacrificing a few years of my
fertility. My husband on the other hand, would be giving up many more
years of his fertility, simply because he's a man. Who knows what the
future holds, something may happen to me and my husband may end up
marrying a much younger woman when he's 50. They may want to have a
child together. I hate the though of DH with another woman, but I also
hate the thought of him ever being unhappy.

Personally, I'd go for the tubal too, but for different reasons. A week of
pain wouldn't bother me as much as it would bother DH. I'm in a week of pain
every month, so I'm used to it.
Let someone near his testicles with a scalpel, and he might be so
emotionally traumatised that I may never have sex again. I think I'd take
the pain.

--
Amy
Mum to Carlos born sleeping 20/11/02,
& Ana born screaming 30/06/04
http://www.freewebs.com/carlos2002/
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/a/ana%5Fj%5F2004/
My blog: http://spaces.msn.com/members/querer-hijo-querer-hija/

Tube sterilization and pregnancy Rene Pregnancy 3 June 2nd 05 07:35 PM
Tubal Reversal ? DamnOkie Pregnancy 1 February 2nd 05 02:09 AM
PA: More info on CS reversal case Dusty Child Support 31 July 31st 04 03:51 AM