Unclaimed child support *canada*

Old May 11th 06, 02:27 PM posted to alt.child-support

Default Unclaimed child support *canada*

Hey all,

having a debate with a friend over child support unclaimed any help would
be great. The situation is let's say 2 children are now 28-30. Parents were
divorced many years ago when they were children but the courts did order a
payment of 150/mnth. He never paid a dime. The question is... is there a
claim for haveing him pay up? the mother now is the person who could use the
$$ but its more the principle. any info would be helpful to settle this.

Old May 11th 06, 04:54 PM posted to alt.child-support

Robbie North wrote:
Hey all,

having a debate with a friend over child support unclaimed any help would
be great. The situation is let's say 2 children are now 28-30. Parents were
divorced many years ago when they were children but the courts did order a
payment of 150/mnth. He never paid a dime. The question is... is there a
claim for haveing him pay up? the mother now is the person who could use the
$$ but its more the principle. any info would be helpful to settle this.

Isn't the purpose of child support to help a mother who can't afford to
raise the kids on her income alone? That's the real principle of the matter.

If they are 28-30 she obviously doesn't need the money to raise the
kids. And, since "its more the principle" she doesn't have any other
need for the money. Apparently, she didn't need it back then either,
given the kids are alive and well.

In other words, her asking for the money is just greed isn't it? Tell
the mother to get on with her life and stop living off of the wealth of
others.

Old May 11th 06, 08:18 PM posted to alt.child-support

Its a shame you aren't having a discussion as to this 28-30 year olds
having an improved relationship with their father and finding out what
the issues were at the time and why he did not or was not able to
support these people financially and emotionally!

I would bet that there are skeletons that need to be let out, before
this resentment will subside and a need to keep chasing a vengeful
need.

I certainly don't know enough about what has gone on in this situation,
but on the basis of your email and on the surface, that my opinion!

Luckily, I have an Equal Parenting relationship with 2 of my kids and I
am positive there will be no need for this discussion in their future.

Its unfortunate this 28 and 30 year old didn't have the benefit of a
shared parenting arrangement.

Maybe these to individual should first find out why they did not have
the opportunity to have this kind of relationship with their parent and
go after the persons reponsible for not encouraging this relationship
and the need for that discussion?

Dadof3
Toronto, Canada

Old May 13th 06, 12:22 AM posted to alt.child-support

Random Stranger wrote:

Isn't the purpose of child support to help a mother who can't afford to
raise the kids on her income alone? That's the real principle of the matter.

If they are 28-30 she obviously doesn't need the money to raise the
kids. And, since "its more the principle" she doesn't have any other
need for the money. Apparently, she didn't need it back then either,
given the kids are alive and well.

Are you sure she didn't need the money back then. I'm sure you can
think of times in your life where money was tight... had to maybe lay
off paying a bill in order to buy milk... we've all pretty much been
there...

To say the money wasn't needed back then is not really a fair
argument. The money may indeed of been needed, but as most single
parents who are struggling do, you find ways to adapt. You stand in
line at the Food Bank, and get enough food to feed the kids.. and
enough for maybe 2 meals for the week for yourself.

In this case 150 a month may not sound like alot in the grand scheme
of things.. but 150 might of paid for new pair of shoes for the kids...
or car insurance to allow the parents to get work easier.

In other words, her asking for the money is just greed isn't it? Tell
the mother to get on with her life and stop living off of the wealth of
others.

Now I if the kids are 28-30 and she is just thinking about this
now... Well I do have to agree it does sound a little more like greed
then need... My question is why did she not file for this over and over
while the kids were still young. And ask the courts for help in
collecting?

SpiderHam77