Weak cervix/100% bedrest

Old September 5th 06, 04:26 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
[email protected]

Default Weak cervix/100% bedrest

Does anyone here suffer from this and had to have a cerclage? I am
going in for one in six weeks and (I had one previously that failed) I
am terrified. Not of getting the stitch in, but more so of it failing
or being put on full time bedrest... that does not sound fun!

Was anyone else here on full bedrest for a long time for any other
reason? I am getting prepared because my doctor already warned me I
will most likely see a lot of bedrest during this pregnancy.

Thank you!!!!

Old September 5th 06, 05:04 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Anne Rogers

Does anyone here suffer from this and had to have a cerclage? I am
going in for one in six weeks and (I had one previously that failed) I
am terrified. Not of getting the stitch in, but more so of it failing
or being put on full time bedrest... that does not sound fun!

Was anyone else here on full bedrest for a long time for any other
reason? I am getting prepared because my doctor already warned me I
will most likely see a lot of bedrest during this pregnancy.

you might try the yahoogroup, bedrestbookbuddies, there are (or at least
there were) a lot of people on there who had cervical cerclages and were on
bedrest.

I can't think of anyone on here right now who has had a cerclage, but there
definitely have been in the past.

I've had pregnancies that have involved a lot of rest, but not for the same
reasons and even that sucked pretty bad, just remember though that all the
time you are on your side, the babies head is not pressing down on that weak
cervix. It's also said, once you reach viability (24 weeks), that every day
on the inside is equal to 3 in NICU.

Try and make plans now for when you are on bedrest, get your room set up so
things are accessible, consider putting a fridge in place of your
nightstand, work out how the household is going to run, subscribe to
netflix, or other internet movie service. Set yourself a daily timetable, of
meals, snacks, activities (2pm, watch a movie!). Make sure each day your
husband leaves you with a supply of water and all the food you need.

Good Luck

Anne

Old September 5th 06, 05:12 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Amy Austin

wrote:
Does anyone here suffer from this and had to have a cerclage? I am
going in for one in six weeks and (I had one previously that failed) I
am terrified. Not of getting the stitch in, but more so of it failing
or being put on full time bedrest... that does not sound fun!

Was anyone else here on full bedrest for a long time for any other
reason? I am getting prepared because my doctor already warned me I
will most likely see a lot of bedrest during this pregnancy.

I was on bedrest for high blood pressure starting at 38 weeks.
Fortunately, I delivered at 39 weeks (the day before the appointment to
talk about inducing - good baby!) so I was only on it for a week, but
it was really, really miserable.

I think what made it hard was that I felt fine - great, in fact -
certainly better than I had expected to feel at that point in my
pregnancy, but I was told that I could do NOTHING. Plus, I had a lot
left to do to get ready for the baby. My MIL came and stayed with us
for a few days, which helped. She did a lot of laundry. It was nice
to have some company, but I also felt so lazy, and I didn't like it
that someone saw me being that lazy (even if it was doctor's orders!).

www.paperbackswap.com is a good resource for nearly-free books.
Netflix is also a lifesaver (and is also good in those first few weeks
that the baby's home and you just sit and nurse constantly!). Surf the
'net. Call friends. Write thank you notes in advance - leave a lot of
blanks.

How many weeks do you have left?

Hang in there,
Amy

Old September 26th 06, 02:09 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Alice's Mum

I've been there and done it.
I lost my first baby at 22 weeks and 3 days- like most people, that's
how I got my diagnosis of a weak cervix.

With my second baby, my lovely obstetrician put the stitch in at eleven
and a bit weeks. Then I was prescribed bedrest (or at least, taking it
very easy) from about week 16, which I did at home. I had my cervix
scanned fortnightly (the hospital was about the only place I went!) to
look for shortening inspite of the stitch. They found it had shortened
at about 25 weeks, and I was taken in. They let me home at about 32
weeks, as that's a good gestation for premature babies to have a good
outcome. I do know people who had longer in hospital.
In the end, I continued to take it easy at home, then had the stitch
out at 37 weeks..... and had my baby girl at 39 weeks and 4 days!!

The bedrest itsself wasn't half as bad as you might imagine. If you
just consider that that's what you need to do to keep your baby safe
(to save his/her life!), then it puts it into perspective. You're not
feeling ill (some pregnant people do- that must be worse?). You can
read. You can talk on the phone. Particularly if you have a laptop,
you can still be in contact with the rest of teh world. It really
isn't as bad as you think it might be. Just focus on WHY you're doing
it. You're saving your baby's life!

Actually- I'm not sure how easy it might be if you already have a child
at home.
I'm actually looking for information on up-to-date recommendations for
treatment of a weak cervix once the stitch is in place. I've heard
100% bedrest is no longer recommended; and Im' just trying to find out
what IS recommended now. I have to say, that if we, as patients, are
now "allowed" to do a little more, then that would make life a little
easier...

Alice's Mum

Old September 27th 06, 05:53 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
[email protected]

I was put on strict bedrest around 22 weeks and stayed there until 35.5
weeks. My daughter was born at 36 weeks!

She was our first and because I had prior surgery on my cervix they
decided to monitor me closely. Thank goodness they did because when my
cervix started shortening at 19 weeks, they were ready to act.

I did not have a cerclage.

I was only allowed up 1x a week for a shower (we bought a shower chair)
and 1x a week to go to the dr. The rest of the time I was upstairs in
bed.

Luckily, I was able to work full time from bed -- that made a big
difference.

I would recommend a few things for comfort:

A snoogle deluxe (check it out on amazon or babycenter -- not
affiliated with either site)

Eggcrate foam cover for your mattress -- I cannot tell you how much of
a difference this made. I never would have thought of it for myself
but a friend whose wife had back problems and was in bed for long
periods of time recommended it. It became my most valued possession!

A microwave in your bedroom (or room of choice) so you can heat up
lunch, tea, etc.

A cooler or small fridge

Lots of snacks and drinks

Books on tape/CD and a personal player with headset. I had a lot of
trouble sleeping and listening to books on tape was a great way to
relax at night.

Access to your library -- via on line or a friend, etc.

Magazines

It's not easy by any stretch but it is worth it :-) The hardest parts
for me were the stress of the weekly drs appts and having to ask for
everything from my husband. It frustrated the heck out of me to have
to ask every morning for breakfast or whatever. Maybe it's just my
husband that didn't make the connection that every morning I had oj so
just bring me a glass!

Having visitors are a mixed blessing. It's great to have the company
but it was stressful feeling as though I couldn't get tidied up for
them and it was tiring! I got good at letting people know when it was
time to leave! Don't be shy about asking them to bring you things.

Is there anyone who can make you a bunch of meals for your freezer?
Thank goodness for my MIL and my dad!

If you have internet access all the better...one thing I did was get
the book "baby bargains" and spent hours and hours pulling together my
registry. Window shopping from bed!

Good luck to you and your baby!!!

Sara

Weak suck Nikki Breastfeeding 19 April 28th 06 11:20 PM
Weak women, bad men and the Bill of Rights Dusty Child Support 0 April 4th 06 05:32 PM
Update and bedrest Sunshine Pregnancy 5 October 14th 04 05:19 PM
Bedrest in first trimester? Donna Metler General 13 May 3rd 04 09:01 PM
Bedrest in first trimester? Donna Metler Pregnancy 13 May 3rd 04 09:01 PM