Mom to be in need of advice

Old September 25th 06, 06:53 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Pologirl

Default Mom to be in need of advice

For babies in NICU, the NICU should provide a choice of pumps, and
personal coaching from a professional lactation consultant. And books
to loan you. And a refrigerator/freezer where you can store the milk
until the baby is ready for feeding by mouth. The works. Depending on
how premature the baby is, feeding may initially be intravenous, then
by oral feeding tube, then by bottle or breast.

Your milk is the best possible food for your baby, far better than any
formula, because it is the ideal nutrition and it is full of
antibodies. Antibodies protect your baby against infections. Formula
contains no antibodies. That said, you may have reasons why you don't
want to even think about breastfeeding. That's okay too.

There are basically three options: your own milk, formula, and someone
else's milk. (And any combination of the above.) Ask your NICU staff
about milk banks.

Have you had a consulting appointment yet with the neonatalogist(s) in
charge of your NICU?

Wishing you the best possible outcome!

Old September 26th 06, 05:03 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Suzanne S

It sounds like you are having a tough time of it just now. I hope things
get easier and that your little one stays put for a little while longer.

What help is available depends on where you live. There are probably some
breastfeeding groups that can help you . Try La Leche League (LLL), or if
you are in the UK, the NCT.

Ask if your delivery hospital can loan you a pump. I *think* that hire of a
pump for a baby in NICU is something that can be claimed under insurance,
but not being from the US I'm not sure. Others may know.

If you choose to breastfeed, then do get the help of an IBCLC (again I think
this can be claimed). They will be able to help with getting equipment at
good prices.

As Anne said, the benefits of feeding a preemie breastmilk are enormous, so
it is worth
considering.(http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/premimportant.html)

Hope things go well for you,

Suzanne

"mommyslove" wrote in message
ps.com...
I don't know much about breast feeding thats why I haven't considered
it. I also don't know what kind of a pump I would need to get and due
to the babied dad leaving 3 weeks ago I don't even have money to buy
one cause I'm on bed rest and I was a stay at home mom for the last two
years so finacialy I am strapped. Are there any programs that you know
of that help with breast feeding and getting pumps? I am 30 weeks now
10 weeks to go but in the whole freaking out stage on do I hae the
things I need and what do I need to take etc. I assumed that the baby
would be put in the nicu.
Anne Rogers wrote:
I'm currently pregnant due december 5th however I have gone into labor
twice now and had to have it stopped so now I am in a getting my
hospital bags ready and the diapper bag.

Try not to worry, I presume the doctors are monitoring you and are
medicating you as necessary, I think you are around 30 weeks now, so they
are going to want to prolong this pregnancy as long as possible, have you
received steroids to mature the babies lungs.

However I am completly
dumbfounded on what I need to bring for the hospital stay what to wear
home and what to put in the diapper bag.
I'm also woundering has anyone used a bundle me bag in there carseat do
you still use a snow suit or car seat cover? I'm from wisconsin and
it's already getting cold so I know I'll need something as far as snow
suit and all goes.

you really don't need to worry about this right now, if you have the baby
any time soon, then it's going to be in the hospital for a while, if you
go
into labour again, you're not going to need to worry about taking things
for
the baby. However most advice is for baby to not wear a snow suit in a
car
seat as it makes it difficult for the straps to be tightened enough.

Also I know that while I'm in the hospital pads are provided and so is
formula, bottles, diapers and wipes for the time you are there. I had
my two year old at this hospital but I seem to have mommy brain cause I
can't remember what I brought or had in his diaper bag. Any advice
would be great.

you may want a special outfit and a camera to take pictures. Please
please
consider your feeding options, if this baby is born prematurely, then
it's
really going to need precious mummy milk. You'd probably have to express
it
at first, but the staff at the hospital should be able to help you with
that.

Cheers

Anne