Fierce Fight Ensues Over Foster Care Bill Bill Would Move Child Care To State's Education Department

Old April 7th 05, 04:21 PM
wexwimpy

Default Fierce Fight Ensues Over Foster Care Bill Bill Would Move Child Care To State's Education Department

Fierce Fight Ensues Over Foster Care Bill Bill Would Move Child Care
To State's Education Department

POSTED: 4:48 pm EDT April 6, 2005 UPDATED: 6:11 pm EDT April 6, 2005

ANNAPOLIS, Md. -- A fierce floor fight began Wednesday in the House of
Delegates over a bill designed to hold the state's Department of Human
Resources more accountable, WBAL-TV 11 News reporter David Collins
reported.

Collins said the debate comes on the heels of a scathing audit that 11
News uncovered Tuesday that reveals systemic problems within the
agency.

Everyone has the same goal of protecting children, but a showdown is
brewing over how to reach it. House Republicans have mounted fierce
opposition to a bill that overhauls the DHR.

"We are putting children first, we are trying to make sure that these
kids are taken care of and that foster care moves forward in the
direction that it should," said Baltimore City Delegate Talmadge
Branch, D-District 45.

Some Republicans are concerned that the bills' meddling could make
things worse, not better.

"The Legislature is micromanaging without well-thought out proposals,"
said Delegate Anthony O'Donnell, R-District 29C, who represents
portions of Calvert and St. Mary's counties.

Legislative auditors discovered that 35 percent of the state's
children in foster care did not attend school in
2003.

The report reveals that 31 percent of foster care children did not
have face-to-face monthly meetings with social workers as required by
law.

Documents also indicate that the state issued 34 percent of licenses
and renewals for group home providers without completing criminal
background checks or even reviewing the state's child abuse registry.

Chris McCabe, the DHR secretary, said there are new background check
procedures in place and his department has since hired 275 additional
case workers.

He pointed out that the federal government recently endorsed the
department's improvement strategies.

"The approval of that, which was just last week, is actually perfect
timing to address some of the audit's issues," McCabe said.

The changes mandated in the bill would cost taxpayers $220,000. The
House is scheduled to resume debate Thursday.
http://www.thewbalchannel.com/news/4353689/detail.html
"Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, For
you are crunchy and taste good with catsup."

Foster baby killed Sherman Foster Parents 18 November 7th 04 02:58 AM
Assessing Foster Care From the Inside wexwimpy Foster Parents 0 March 9th 04 03:46 PM
'Horrible' Home Kane General 1 July 16th 03 02:29 AM