Senate amendment would let foster children keep full stipend

Old March 30th 04, 09:45 PM
wexwimpy

Default Senate amendment would let foster children keep full stipend

Senate amendment would let foster children keep full stipend

By BRENT KALLESTAD
Associated Press Writer

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. - Most independent foster children would continue to
receive stipends through the state's Road to Independence program
following a Senate panel's approval Monday of an amended bill that
originally proposed slashing the benefits by up to 30 percent.

Sen. Evelyn Lynn, R-Ormond Beach, offered the amendment that would let
recipients keep a monthly stipend of $892, but only after a
needs-based assessment is completed.

Similar legislation also was approved by a House committee, which
temporarily passed a wide-reaching measure that would also protect the
monthly stipend.

The program is designed to propel qualified foster children into an
independent living situation. The foster children headed for college
would be eligible to receive tuition and fee exemptions as well, plus
Pell grants.

However, advocates for foster care children say the $15 million
program - which is 80 percent funded by the federal government - only
serves a fraction of the kids in need.

"I believe that all kids who want more help could get it, period,"
said Daniel J. Brannen, president and CEO of the South Florida Kids at
Home program, based in Boca Raton. "So many young people who are in
foster care aren't ready to go on educationally, so you end up serving
a small number."

The Senate Subcommittee on Health and Human Services approved the
measure (CS/SB 512) 5-0, sending it to the full Appropriations
Committee. The House Future of Florida's Families committee decided to
temporarily pass its amended version later Monday night.

"It's like everything else we do in this state, prevention," said Rep.
Nan Rich, D-Weston, a proponent of extended foster care. "You're
always going to get backed up. Ultimately, this is not the answer."

The original bill, also sponsored by Lynn, could have slashed the
monthly stipends by up to $266 a month for some of the current 919
recipients, but provided other means to replace the money. Child
advocates and some lawmakers strongly protested, saying DCF shouldn't
be considering cuts.

The House proposal would also eliminate waiting periods, program
enrollment windows and require more accountability from DCF. The House
committee chair, Rep. Heather Fiorentino, R-New Port Richey, said
she'd like to see more mentoring for foster kids and ensure none would
have their health insurance jeopardized.

DCF officials had said the stipend cuts were being considered because
of concerns over the program's long-term financial health and to
ensure that it could keep up with the program's growth rate.
http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-onlin...81KBQBO0.shtml

Defend your civil liberties! Get information at http://www.aclu.org, become a member at http://www.aclu.org/join and get active at http://www.aclu.org/action.

Basic Rights of Foster Parents [email protected] Foster Parents 5 December 20th 03 02:37 PM
'Horrible' Home Kane General 1 July 16th 03 02:29 AM