CTTD (sort of)

Old March 7th 04, 12:58 PM
Chookie

Default CTTD (sort of)

In article , "Deirdre"
wrote:

While I appreciate the need some parents have to park
the little one in front of a video in order to get a few things done around
the house, it always struck me as a slippery slope that leads to the TV
babysitting the child all day.

This happened to a friend of mine. Her 2 children started off just watching
Playschool (a long-running educational programme), and it was so easy for her
to Get Things Done that the time just expanded and expanded. Finally, she bit
the bullet and the TV went on a holiday. She noticed that their play became
far more imaginative than it had been. Now she has 4, and the TV is back, but
under very strict control.

Seems to me that a collaborative approach to doing household work (ie,
involving your children) probably makes the electronic babysitting phenomenon
less likely.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"Jeez; if only those Ancient Greek storytellers had known about the astonishing
creature that is the *Usenet hydra*: you cut off one head, and *a stupider one*
grows back..." -- MJ, cam.misc
Old March 7th 04, 07:12 PM
Tine Andersen

"New York Jen" skrev i en meddelelse
t...
Just have to say that it's really not realistic unless you are extremely
vigilant to not allow a baby to watch any TV until the age of two, despite
what the AAP says...

Ours is in the basement. You have to make a decision to go there. There are
no furniture - only some mattresses on the floor. You really have to want to
see it.

Tine

Old March 7th 04, 07:13 PM
Melissa

Deirdre" wrote:
While I appreciate the need some parents have to park
the little one in front of a video in order to get a few things done

around
the house, it always struck me as a slippery slope that leads to the TV
babysitting the child all day.

"Chookie" wrote
This happened to a friend of mine. Her 2 children started off just

watching
Playschool (a long-running educational programme), and it was so easy for

her
to Get Things Done that the time just expanded and expanded. Finally, she

bit
the bullet and the TV went on a holiday. She noticed that their play

became
far more imaginative than it had been. Now she has 4, and the TV is back,

but
under very strict control.

In my experience (very limited), I've found this to be true as well. DD
watches no TV during the day and 'helps' me with chores. She wanders around
the kitchen while I do dishes, plays in the bedroom while I make the bed and
plays on her bed while I fold laundry. Other things are left until when DH
is home because it's too labor intensive to do with her or it's something
that I can't stop in the middle if she falls or otherwise needs me.

I've found that the people with the longest naps tend to be the ones who
talk about needing to Get Things Done as an excuse for TV the most. DD naps
1.5 hours a day, total, so I've found ways to do things with her. My neice
naps for 3 hours every day (plus nearly 12 at night) but, at 2 yrs., she
watches 1.5 hrs. of TV each day so her mom can Get Things Done. YMMV
--
Melissa (in Los Angeles)
Mum to Elizabeth 4/13/03

Old March 7th 04, 08:45 PM
Sue

Melissa wrote in message
In my experience (very limited), I've found this to be true as well. DD
watches no TV during the day and 'helps' me with chores. She wanders
around the kitchen while I do dishes, plays in the bedroom while I make
the bed and plays on her bed while I fold laundry. Other things are left
until when DH is home because it's too labor intensive to do with her or
it's something that I can't stop in the middle if she falls or otherwise

needs me.

I've found that the people with the longest naps tend to be the ones who
talk about needing to Get Things Done as an excuse for TV the most. DD

naps 1.5 hours a day, total, so I've found ways to do things with her. My
neice naps for 3 hours every day (plus nearly 12 at night) but, at 2 yrs.,
she watches 1.5 hrs. of TV each day so her mom can Get Things Done. YMMV

Yep, YMMV. I have found with my children (ages 11, 8 and 7) that since I
didn't do a whole lot of restricting their TV watching that they still have
wonderful imaginations and are able to go and play without me prodding them
to turn off the TV. When it is too cold or rainy, they will watch a bit more
TV, but still will go on and do their play acting that they do. My middle
daughter is the most crafty, imaginative person that I know. In the summer
time, they are way too busy to watch it at all. I have noticed though with
my daughter's friends that those children who have been really restricted in
watching TV are the ones that when they come over here to visit are the ones
that we can't get them away from the TV at all to play. My daughter hates
that. (that's not to say that I don't just go and turn it off, I do) I find
that when they were really little that there was too much to do during the
day to watch it. Yes, I let them watch Barney or another show while I had my
shower, but that was around 2 years of age. Most of the time though, I
listened to the radio during the day. I think it is ironic that when I was a
kid, I was a total TV nut and watched it all the time. But, I still was an
avid reader though, funny how it really didn't stunt my imagination. I still
managed to pretend play all the time with my dolls and stuff. Now as an
adult, I don't watch it all until I go to bed and then I watch nick@night
with the shows that I used to watch when I was younger. However, I love
watching movies. When my girls were small, I included them in my day with
things that needed to be done. But, I don't get too worked up in restricting
anything and really truly stick with moderation in everything, it seems to
have worked so far in my 11 years experience in being a parent. )
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old March 8th 04, 02:03 AM
Deirdre

Akuvikate wrote:
"Deirdre" wrote in message
At the tender age of just 10 weeks, our little bean has discovered
the television. He's not just watching, but cooing in response.

sigh

I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

I share your sentiments. Even though I knew it was just the colors
and lights that interested her at that age, it still creeped me out
see how fascinated by the TV the Bug was (and is). I hate the dang
thing and a part of me would happily get rid of it altogether, but DH
feels quite differently. Oh well. So far she only watches it in
case
of meltdown when she's being babysat, and it's been months since that
happened.

Kate
and the Bug, 9 months

Not to be fatalistic or anything, but I suppose a certain degree of
fascination is inevitable... At least in our house, anyway.

Old March 8th 04, 02:05 AM
Deirdre

Chookie wrote:
In article , "Deirdre"
wrote:

While I appreciate the need some parents have to park
the little one in front of a video in order to get a few things
done around the house, it always struck me as a slippery slope that
leads to the TV babysitting the child all day.

This happened to a friend of mine. Her 2 children started off just
watching Playschool (a long-running educational programme), and it
was so easy for her to Get Things Done that the time just expanded
and expanded. Finally, she bit the bullet and the TV went on a
holiday. She noticed that their play became far more imaginative
than it had been. Now she has 4, and the TV is back, but under very
strict control.

Seems to me that a collaborative approach to doing household work
(ie, involving your children) probably makes the electronic
babysitting phenomenon less likely.

I look forward to being able to involve my little man. At this rate, he
"helps with dinner" by watching from his bouncy on the kitchen counter. g
He seems to like it, though. Well, that and the ceiling fan that's in
there. LOL

Old March 8th 04, 02:12 AM
Deirdre

Sue wrote:

Yep, YMMV. I have found with my children (ages 11, 8 and 7) that
since I didn't do a whole lot of restricting their TV watching that
they still have wonderful imaginations and are able to go and play
without me prodding them to turn off the TV.

I don't remember being chased away from the TV as a kid, and have a creative
streak a mile long. Then again, what I was watching is quite a bit
different from what's on now. Cartoons were only on Saturday mornings,
rather than the 24/7 barrage now offered by cable TV.
My daytimes were filled with Sesame Street, Electric Company, Zoom, Big Blue
Marble & Mr. Rogers. All completely innocuous but educational, so my access
was unfettered. My husband and I have been scouting out current programming,
hoping to identify what's appropriate & what isn't, now -- before the little
bean has a chance to develop any appetites of his own. I've been joking (or
not, really) that I'll use the parental control functions to block out
Nickelodeon's Cartoon channel in it's entirety. Yech.

Old March 8th 04, 04:54 AM
Sue

Deirdre wrote in message
Then again, what I was watching is quite a bit
different from what's on now. Cartoons were only on Saturday mornings,

rather than the 24/7 barrage now offered by cable TV.

Oh yeah, my husband and I tell the girls all the time about how there was
no cartoon channel 24 hours a day when we were kids. They are amazed, lol.

My husband and I have been scouting out current programming,
hoping to identify what's appropriate & what isn't, now -- before the
little bean has a chance to develop any appetites of his own. I've been
joking (or not, really) that I'll use the parental control functions to

block out Nickelodeon's Cartoon channel in it's entirety. Yech.

Whatever, it's not they sit there and watch it for 24/7 though. They have
their favorites and watch those when they have some time and homework is
done or it's cold out or whatever. I doesn't bother me because I know more
often than not, they go and play together or do a craft project or
something. )
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old March 8th 04, 05:56 AM
Nikki

Deirdre wrote:

Not to be fatalistic or anything, but I suppose a certain degree of
fascination is inevitable... At least in our house, anyway.

I'm having a dull moment because I'm not exactly sure what you mean by that,
lol.

Not all kids care about TV though. My oldest was over 4 before he gave a
hoot about TV. My dh is a total TV addict so has it on all the time. He
actually encourages then to watch TV now that he is with them during the
days. :-P My younger son has liked it a lot more from the very beginning
and would watch a cartoon as early as 15mos. He actually watched them
before the older one did.

They watch more in the winter. I do notice a difference in behavior if they
watch to much. At this point I'm sure they watch more then most of the kids
of the parents on this list but probably average for my real life friends.
--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (4) and Luke (2)

Old March 8th 04, 08:53 AM
HollyLewis

Not all kids care about TV though.

Yeah, the first several times we actually put on a video for DS, he insisted on
us watching it *with* him, and then he lost all interest in it after about 10
minutes max. I felt very odd about it -- here was self-righteous ol' me, never
having used the TV as a babysitter, and then when I *wanted* to do that, it
didn't work! :-)

He's still pretty much that way. He asks to watch one of his train videos once
in a while, but TV has never fascinated him. And so far he doesn't seem to
care about not having seen all the same stuff his preschool classmates have, so
I can hope that we'll have at least a couple more years before we have to
decide on whether we're going to have any formal rules or anything. My hope is
we won't need to, of course, since I agree that forbidding TV will probably
only make it more attractive. I'd prefer to restrict TV simply by offering
more interesting things to do. :-)

Holly
Mom to Camden, 3yo
EDD #2 6/8/04

CTTD: Original Sin Manifests Itself Chookie General 1 May 10th 04 07:40 PM
X Posted: CTTD! New York Jen Pregnancy 1 April 11th 04 03:39 AM
CTTD! JennP General 1 January 15th 04 05:27 AM
funny (well sort of) (and sort of OT) Pamela Perkins Breastfeeding 3 September 12th 03 06:20 PM
CTTD (spelling test again) Iowacookiemom General (moderated) 0 August 24th 03 04:28 PM